What to bring back, travellers cheques?

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
I am going to bring some travellers cheques back from the UK with me. I'm a little confused about what to bring and what my options are. The pound wasn't doing so well lately when changing into pesos so would I be best bringing US$ travellers cheques with me. I'm not even sure that I could do this, financing not my strong point. I will most likely be going to Mexico or Thailand to work sometime this year also so this needs to be taken into consideration.
Could someone please point me in the right direction about my best options for this.
Kind regards
Scrub!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
It is a Dollars and Pesos economy here both fully tradable, Euros seem just about to get by but don't bring Sterling. Half the people wouldn't recognise it and it they did you would get a rotten exchange rate. If I were you, as far as the RD is concerned, I would not bring any Travellers Cheques, bring $50 in US cash (small bills) and otherwise use your Visa or/and Mastercard.

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks, I'm aware of this as I live in Sosua. My concern is after having a little episode a few months ago after losing my wallet. It took me 3 weeks to get replacement cards and I was left with no cash. I intend on keeping something in the house in future.
I see that the pound is rediculously bad at the moment. If I change ?3000 I will only get $4035 which is terrible.