Post Thanks / Like

Default DR Tourism: Sos˙a & Cabarete in NY Times today

Under the title of "Affordable Caribbean" , the DR is mentioned in today's New York Times...

I am not sure how you denizens of the North Shore will take the writer's review of where to stay or where to eat (How could he not mention Rocky's ribs for example), but I suppose there was probably some "payola" involved is the "whos" and the "wheres".

However, some PR person once said that any news was good news--or words to that effect...

HB

Affordable Caribbean - Dominican Republic - NYTimes.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that article this morning and I was laughing at the NYT telling readers to party at Colmados...I'm sure some will accuse the writer of being a "chopo".

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It reads like the front page of "Gringo Times"; only less believable

"Cabarete and Sos˙a have a wide range of choices, but luxury is the exception. For a week long rental at low prices, you canĺt go wrong with (EDITED) two-bedroom apartments starting at $80 a night in the off-season and $140 in the high season (not including taxes)."

Where does he get his prices from?
    Tropical Regards
    Reidy

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, for a short article... didn't do too bad on Cabarete.
    Cabarete Palm Beach Condos is a good suggestion for location, comfort, and price. Papi's & Blue Moon are good suggestions for restaurants - one on the beach and one in the mountains, both with good reputations. Lax is a fine recommendation for a bar.

Prices of $80-$140/night come directly from CPBC's website & are accurate.

Yes, there's 'luxury' to be found. Not sure how he missed that, but the title of the column is 'Affordable Caribbean..." so perhaps he didn't search around too much.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reidy620 View Post
    It reads like the front page of "Gringo Times"; only less believable

"Cabarete and Sos˙a have a wide range of choices, but luxury is the exception. For a week long rental at low prices, you canĺt go wrong with (EDITED) two-bedroom apartments starting at $80 a night in the off-season and $140 in the high season (not including taxes)."

Where does he get his prices from?
    Tropical Regards
    Reidy
    Also, refering to "Papi's" as cheap eats. I like Papi's but it's possibly the most expensive place on the beach.

Apart from that, it's always nice to see positive press about my home away from home.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    However, some PR person once said that any news was good news--or words to that effect...
    Unless it means sending bus loads of first time, not very well travelled tourists to El Flow where they could be in for a bit of a surprise, in which case the article might just possibly lay itself open to charges of irresponsibility...........

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camden Tom View Post
    Also, refering to "Papi's" as cheap eats. I like Papi's but it's possibly the most expensive place on the beach.
    Papi's? Certainly not the cheapest, but compared to Blue, Casanova, Miro, Otra Cosa? It stands okay on price. And from a NYC perspective... RD$1000 for a fantastic shrimp dinner, on the beach, under the palms?

Not to mention, try getting out of Jose O'Shays with a burger, fries, and a couple of drinks for much under RD$1000

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Unless it means sending bus loads of first time, not very well travelled tourists to El Flow where they could be in for a bit of a surprise, in which case the article might just possibly lay itself open to charges of irresponsibility...........
    Sending bus loads of first time, not very well travelled tourists to anywhere in Sosua at night could put them in for a bit of a surprise.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default another article a few years back by same writer