More AZB's ghetto fixes.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Do some of you folk have old cordless phone with lame dead batteries? Are you tired of buying 16 dollar rechargeable packs for your old Panasonic cordless phones, just to see the new battery lose most of its charging powers in just after a couple of months use? Well I am one of those suckers who have spend lots of money on expensive cordless phone batteries that cost just as much as the new phone and then to find out, I need to change them again just after a few months of use.Just stopped holding charge after some months of use. Now my batteries don't even last 10 minutes of conversation, I hear beeps,reminding me to charge the phone (low battery).
I knew the batteries inside the pack are 1.5 volts Nickel cadmium AA. The problem is, I have new Nickel metal hydride AA batteries. The phone uses a cheap stupid charger which is ok for Nicd but not suitable for nickel metal AA batteries. So I looked on the net to see if someone else had tried it and if the switch works. To my satisfaction, many people have done the switch and are very happy with the results. The old batteries are some cheap Chinese brand 600-700 Mah while mine are 2650 mah. far more current capacity than the factory specs.
here is the link where a solid battery pack is discussed. I did it simpler than that.
Homemade Cordless - Portable Phone Battery Pack

My pack looked something like this:
http://www.watchbattery.co.uk/shop/BCUN-08C.jpg
so I simply just soldered my 3 new doracell rechargeable batteries in series just like the old battery back. Make sure you don't put a blob of solder as the space inside the battery compartment in phone receiver is very compact and to the size. Use your imagination and make it fit. Mine fitted fine and after charging it all night. I talked for 20 minutes and the charge didn't even decrease a bit. I think I will have like 10-15 day standby charge on it and many more hours of talk time as compared to before. To avoid problems, I will not leave the handset on the charger all time. Just to charge it full over night and then leave it out, off the charger. I am happy. The total cost was $9.99 walmart for 4 doracell 2650 MaH AA batteries and I only used 3. These brand name batteries will last a whole lot longer and will give me more talk time as compared to cheap brand 16 dollars batteries I used to buy before.
AZB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ooooommmm.... I see the future... or is it the past...

http://www.dr1.com/forums/690254-post1.html
2ldiw3q.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the above was a defective device and it failed. next???
So if you are not interested, go on to other forums.
For your information, I am also an electrical engineer.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is a fix for fridges. If you have a fridge which works fine in the frost-free freezer compartment but doesn't get cold in the lower fridge section? Seems like it getting less and less cold below. If you put your hand on the vents while pressing the closed door switch and you feel some air is flowing through it but very little to keep anything really cold. Make sure the temperature dial is set to cold temperature.
Here is what you do. take out meat and other items that need to be refrigerated, put them in a ice box and unplug your fridge and open all doors, freezer and below. This is a good opportunity to clean your fridge as well. Leave the doors open all night and in the morning you will find water leaking from below the fridge. Now clean everything, put back all the items inside the fridge and plug it in and you are good to go. Put your hand on the vents while pressing close-door switch. You will feel stronger cold air flow inside the fridge.
Case closed.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Here is a fix for fridges. If you have a fridge which works fine in the frost-free freezer compartment but doesn't get cold in the lower fridge section? ..........
Case closed.
AZB

One should make periodic checks to make sure ice has not formed and is blocking the free flow of air to the refrigerartor section if one has that type of refrigerator.

As far as your phone batteries are concerned, have done that years ago.
You can also buy the rechargeable batteries that have "soldering tabs" on then instead of the standard "+" and "-" ends.

PS:
Replacing the batteries in the same manner is also great for rechargable shavers.

Keeping the freezer section and refrigerator section stocked also helps in keeping it cold. Use plastic bottles of water to act as ice in the freezer section, filling up unused space..

Don - SantiagoDR

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
One should make periodic checks to make sure ice has not formed and is blocking the free flow of air to the refrigerartor section if one has that type of refrigerator.

As far as your phone batteries are concerned, have done that years ago.
You can also buy the rechargeable batteries that have "soldering tabs" on then instead of the standard "+" and "-" ends.

PS:
Replacing the batteries in the same manner is also great for rechargable shavers.

Keeping the freezer section and refrigerator section stocked also helps in keeping it cold. Use plastic bottles of water to act as ice in the freezer section, filling up unused space..

Don - SantiagoDR

Exactly.
The ice buildup forms in the back of the freezer wall on the coil tubing so we never get to see it. This will prevent the air flow from freezer to the fridge below through vents. This is why we disconnect the fridge for a night, open up the doors so all the inside (hidden) ice will melt and free up the air flow in the fridge.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

That would be very good if I had a few of them laying around. The regular batteries are not very solder friendly. I had to file them a bit to take the steel shine off them. This way I was able to solder jumper wires and positive and negative wires of the connector.

AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the pull tab batteries are only 700 maH while the solder batteries are 2100maH. I like the solder batteries better as compared to pull tab ones.
My batteries are even better, 2650maH so they will last much longer.
AZB.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

Don - SantiagoDR

The lovely thing about this country is that one LEARNS to be self sufficient or at least know a lot more than one did in one's country of origin where 'Professionals' &/or 'Experts' handled these things!!

I am not one of your highly 'switched on' guys where 'current' electrical procedures are concerned but I do try to have a 'Positive' rather than 'Negative' approach to diagnosing things. It has got to the stage where I can now investigate an electrical problem in the house, make an analysis of where the problem most likely IS & then get the engineer to call round with the parts so that I can fit them (or stand over & watch them being fitted CORRECTLY!!).

Does that qualify me as an electrical engineer & if so, where can I get my diploma? :cheeky: :paranoid:

Filling the deep freeze section with BREAD also is a god way of 'filling up' empty spaces in the freezer Don, just don't leave it there for more than 3 months otherwise it gets a little 'hard' & is only good for toasting or Bread Puddings!! It is also adviseable wherever possible, to extract the excess air out of any plastic containers & bags that commodities to be stored come wrapped in.

CFA - I think the OP misunderstood your humour in your post. I thought it was funny anyway!:cheeky:! ~ Grahame.