Trips in Dr - from Cabarete....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
having family coming down. Although I have been to Jarabacoa, Bacardi Island and many places in the DR I still like some input.

The german guy (next to Iguanamama). Any experiences from his trips and suggestions for a couple coming down (in their late 50s...).

Paradise Island? Whales?

Any input appreciated.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Perhaps obvious to you, but sometimes we forget to look close to home (and should be interesting to newcomers)...
  • caves in Callejon de la Loma
  • a trip one morning to Playa Encuentro to watch the surfers
  • teleferico in pto plata
  • 4 wheeler trip into the mountains. I haven't been but know a group of local Dominicans and expats living here that went last week and had a great time
  • horseback riding trip. i went on one out near Rio San Juan and had a great time.
Jarabacoa's a nice day trip & helps show that the DR is not all beaches & palm trees.

And... don't forget Rocky's thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/66534-so-youre-bored-sosua.html - a lot of great ideas.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You might want to consider a boat tour at Lugna Gri Gri (SP). There are nice beaches along the way. It takes about 2hrs. You can then go to Playa Grande beach. It's all about 1 -1 1/2 hrs. from Caberete.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
My Family and I enjoyed our trips to Paradise Island as well as one to the Damagua 27 waterfalls.

We also enjoyed a trip to Monte Christi to El Morro beach, although there isn't much else to do out that way if you aren't also going to visit the Haitian border.

We keep meaning to take a trip to Luperon, but have yet to do so.

An interesting diversion might be to see a concert by one of the local artists if you are prepared for a crowd and very loud music.

Thank you all for ur input! So you used the german guy next to Iguanamama?

I guess whales is an alternative also.

When it comes to Gri-Gri, I guess u have to go to Rio San Juan. I am interested in a trip for them that they can do by themself.

Bacardi Island in a day, sounds like a "packed day"... Been there twice, but now I guess it is too much people.

I am leaning towards paradise Island. They like sun and rum... :)

windfinder

May 28, 2007
The German guy ( Josef) next to Iguana Mama , has the best prices and knows the Dr real well as he is already more than 15 years on the Island .
Booked many tours through him and always been satisfied.

TeamIssy

Feb 4, 2009
Also used the German guy for trips, in past. Good deals, and was a lot of fun. One word of advice, take the waterfall tour that he offers. Just do it, its the waterfalls and SO much more. Just be prepared to go all over the area and visit many places before you get to the waterfalls. At the time we were starting to get a little annoyed at times, but looking back it was THE single most memorable thing we did on that vacation. I don't want to give away too much, but keep your temper with the tour operator and eat a big breakfast, as lunch was served late for us. Also if offered get the video of the trip offered by the tour guides, its well worth the price to show to your friends back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.