911 equivalent?

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Hi,
Does anyone know if Dominican Republic has an equivalent for 911 in case of an emergency?? I have to fill out this ridiculous form for my university because I am going on an international placement, and this is one of the things I have to know before I can be approved... or would I have to contact police, fire department, ambulance, etc seperately?
Thanks for your help
Laura

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In Santo Domingo there is a 911 service.

As for the rest of the country, its a definite no.

Perhaps Santiago has 911 service as well, but no sure.

-NALs

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
As for the rest of the country, its a definite no.

Wrong. North Coast has 911 - it connects you to a Codetel operator and you then tell them which emergency service you want. In fact the service operates countrywide. Look inside the phone book Nals, it tells you all this in User's Guide pages.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
ok, great! Thanks for your help! I'll be in Puerto Plata, so I'm glad it's as simple as dialing 911.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
ok, great! Thanks for your help! I'll be in Puerto Plata, so I'm glad it's as simple as dialing 911.

You'll need to tell them which service you want in Spanish. The choices you have are Police (crime), Fire Station (fire), Red Cross (medical/accident), Civil Defence (flood, trees falling, house falling etc) & CDEEE (electrical emergency).

The service exists 24/7. How well it works is, of course, an entirely different subject ;). You'll also need to equip yourself with phone numbers of a Clinica, lawyer, consulate etc. just to have at the ready, just in case.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I have the number of the consulate, but I will make sure I get the others. I don't expect anything to happen, but of course it always could... especially in DR!
thanks for the advice

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I got it. Thank you!

Would you happen to know where Ave. General Imbert Barreras is around? I don't see it labeled and I don't know if I'm missing it or I'm looking in the wrong place.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It's called Avenida Imbert (no-one uses the full name) & is the continuation of Circunvalacion Sur, near port area going towards Costambar. I've sent you another map with it clearly marked.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
lol....this 911 is a joke. we were at a restaurant that had a fire. we called 911 had to wait to press like 5 for the fire department. we told them our problem and they said they had no one available to drive the truck andhung up on us. the call was made by a dominican so language was not the problem

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
lol....this 911 is a joke. we were at a restaurant that had a fire. we called 911 had to wait to press like 5 for the fire department. we told them our problem and they said they had no one available to drive the truck andhung up on us. the call was made by a dominican so language was not the problem

Hey...but at least we have a Metro...and for your information in the very near future our 911 service will be the most modern in the entire universe. You'll be able to telepathically invoke the 911 service...that's how modern it will be. Let's say you're being mugged, so of course you don't want to call 911 in front of the mugger, you'll be able to just think about it and in no time the police will teleport to where you are and arrest the perp...Don't believe me? Just ask Pichardo.

Sorry...Couldn't help myself.

Reactions: Chirimoya