Importing Garden Seeds

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I like Scallions, not chives so I ordered some seeds online and some Videlias as well.

Let's here some feed back?

Last edited:

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
How utterly splendid, sir! Hope that they're not rapscallions :) .

Let us know how your garden grows.

living in the city,I have several earthboxs on my roof and have been growing veggies for a few years,,,tomatos,peppers,corn,cucs...have ordered seeds from states as well as buying here..works well...right now have more tomatos than I can use,but neighbors are helping me...corn on roof caused a comotion around here!!!!
bob

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
zero seeds have grown here ..one tomato has been growing for 3 months and is about 1 cm tall lol

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Like in the states, it depends on the zone the grow best in. I know, you knnow, you should buy the seeds ,March, April for best results here. My wife brings back seed all the time and has had no problem, But acording to D. of Agro. Your not allowed to.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Growing from seeds in the tropics ~ not going so hot!

Am I the only one who can't get seeds to grow in the tropics?

I planted zucchini...and they never even popped up thru the soil!
ZUCCHINI! Who can NOT grown zucchini?

Same thing with attempts at tomatoes, marigolds, green pepper, etc.
Have tried seeds from the States, and purchased at American in Sto Domingo.

Potted plants I'm having better luck with. Purchased some half-dead pointsetias at La Sirena before Christmas (reduced prices) and they are doing quite nicely.

So, where could I purchase some tomato or green pepper plants?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Please remember that, just like it is most likely forbidden to import seeds into your country, it is at least not ecologically advisable to bring them into another country and that includes the DR. Sometimes the innocent importation of a foreign plant can cause quite drastic reaction in that country's ecosystem which was not prepared for it. Pests could feed on them, others die and affect birds etc.

... J-D.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Am I the only one who can't get seeds to grow in the tropics?

I planted zucchini...and they never even popped up thru the soil!
ZUCCHINI! Who can NOT grown zucchini?

Same thing with attempts at tomatoes, marigolds, green pepper, etc.
Have tried seeds from the States, and purchased at American in Sto Domingo.

Potted plants I'm having better luck with. Purchased some half-dead pointsetias at La Sirena before Christmas (reduced prices) and they are doing quite nicely.

So, where could I purchase some tomato or green pepper plants?

dont know your problem,but my tomatos and everything else grows like crazey what fertilizer are you using>>>>?????

Dolomite, or hydrated lime, can be used for any plant, although it is critical for healthy tomatoes. Tomato plants need a lot of calcium in order to produce healthy fruit; dolomite satisfies this requirement.

fertilizer content should be in the range of 5 to 15; i.e., 12-8-10, 10-10-10.

this is what I use for my crops..used all over the world successfully.
earthbox.com

bob

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I'm only guessing but you may want to consider changing the soil. We had the same problem and after we did things grew like crazy. Also don't over water. Hop this helps.