Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Importing Garden Seeds

    I like Scallions, not chives so I ordered some seeds online and some Videlias as well.

    Let's here some feed back?
    Last edited by mike l; 01-26-2009 at 01:23 AM. Reason: ga onion sp

  2. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mike l View Post
    I like Scallions, not chives so I ordered some seeds online and some Videlias as well.

    Let's here some feed back?
    How utterly splendid, sir! Hope that they're not rapscallions .

    Let us know how your garden grows.

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    How utterly splendid, sir! Hope that they're not rapscallions .

    Let us know how your garden grows.
    living in the city,I have several earthboxs on my roof and have been growing veggies for a few years,,,tomatos,peppers,corn,cucs...have ordered seeds from states as well as buying here..works well...right now have more tomatos than I can use,but neighbors are helping me...corn on roof caused a comotion around here!!!!
    bob

  4. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    zero seeds have grown here ..one tomato has been growing for 3 months and is about 1 cm tall lol

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Like in the states, it depends on the zone the grow best in. I know, you knnow, you should buy the seeds ,March, April for best results here. My wife brings back seed all the time and has had no problem, But acording to D. of Agro. Your not allowed to.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Growing from seeds in the tropics ~ not going so hot!

    Am I the only one who can't get seeds to grow in the tropics?

    I planted zucchini...and they never even popped up thru the soil!
    ZUCCHINI! Who can NOT grown zucchini?

    Same thing with attempts at tomatoes, marigolds, green pepper, etc.
    Have tried seeds from the States, and purchased at American in Sto Domingo.

    Potted plants I'm having better luck with. Purchased some half-dead pointsetias at La Sirena before Christmas (reduced prices) and they are doing quite nicely.

    So, where could I purchase some tomato or green pepper plants?

  7. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Please remember that, just like it is most likely forbidden to import seeds into your country, it is at least not ecologically advisable to bring them into another country and that includes the DR. Sometimes the innocent importation of a foreign plant can cause quite drastic reaction in that country's ecosystem which was not prepared for it. Pests could feed on them, others die and affect birds etc.

    ... J-D.

  8. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~~anna~~ View Post
    Am I the only one who can't get seeds to grow in the tropics?

    I planted zucchini...and they never even popped up thru the soil!
    ZUCCHINI! Who can NOT grown zucchini?

    Same thing with attempts at tomatoes, marigolds, green pepper, etc.
    Have tried seeds from the States, and purchased at American in Sto Domingo.

    Potted plants I'm having better luck with. Purchased some half-dead pointsetias at La Sirena before Christmas (reduced prices) and they are doing quite nicely.

    So, where could I purchase some tomato or green pepper plants?
    dont know your problem,but my tomatos and everything else grows like crazey what fertilizer are you using>>>>?????

    Dolomite, or hydrated lime, can be used for any plant, although it is critical for healthy tomatoes. Tomato plants need a lot of calcium in order to produce healthy fruit; dolomite satisfies this requirement.

    fertilizer content should be in the range of 5 to 15; i.e., 12-8-10, 10-10-10.

    this is what I use for my crops..used all over the world successfully.
    earthbox.com

    bob

  9. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm only guessing but you may want to consider changing the soil. We had the same problem and after we did things grew like crazy. Also don't over water. Hop this helps.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •