Which health insurance from UK?

kurdela

Jan 23, 2009
I need to get health insurance in UK for the first couple of months and then I want to get one in DR.
Which UK insurer would you recommend that is widely and without any problems acceptable in DR?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It probably won't matter much because what most likely will happen is that you settle bills here in DR & then claim back off your insurer. Check out PPP AXA & I'm sure there are others. Do a google search of the year long UK policies which allow you multiple trips abroad.

kurdela

Jan 23, 2009
I know that they have such policies but I'm going to stay there for a longer time without leaving, so I can't really use the annual multiple entry one. How long does it take and how to arrange health insurance over there? I'm going to Punta Cana and heard that Humano is widely acceptable there.
Because I'm thinking if it was easy to get it there and wouldn't take much time I could get insurance from UK for maybe just the first month. It is fairly expensive comparing to getting insurance in DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I made the suggestion because I think if you look at the small print of some UK policies you will find that a multiple entry type policy will cover you for being here several months. I don't know if you can get insurance in UK for a month other than a 'holiday type' policy. Try writing to the UK companies and asking them.

I'll let the Punta Cana people answer your Punta Cana question.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I notice you are with Lloyds TSB – I believe you have 45 days coverage on any 1 trip, take 2 trips another 45 days. That’s on the Platinum account any way.
Use that and then go “local” would be my advice – although I have never had to use it – and long may it stay that way!

Just as an aside – I did have an accident in the DR – which in the UK would have been disastrous for me – I stepped on some broken glass and badly cut my foot. It was a very deep gash and as we know things aren’t as clean as perhaps they are at home. If I was a “tourist” on an AI holiday I would have used my “insurance” as the wound had to be looked at, cleaned, sanitised every day and re dressed. I needed to take some tablets as well to ensure that I was immune from any possible nasty bugs.

Now – I was there for a few months and was temporarily “Dominican” so – for the 6 weeks that I was hobbling around we brought the dressings, the sanitising wash, and had it “looked” at once every couple of weeks, bathed it in the sea and just got on with it. It cost around ?20 in tablets, dressings, and a professional to look at it to ensure things were ok.
My point is – depending on how serious the injury or illness is – you can get on with things like locals do!

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Travel Insurance UK - Cheap Annual Holiday Insurance annual multi trip insurance covers you up to 90 days on any one trip and is very reasonably priced.....I have made two medical claims and one stolen phone claim on this insurance and the service was great. I would highly recommend them.

American Express covers you up to 120 days and is more expensive but still reasonable.

Daydream.