Wedding in DR

shelandbill

Jan 26, 2009
Just curious if anyone has some insight into this...

a couple getting married, one is Catholic and one is Methodist- want to get married on the beach, can a priest do this? bilingual? do they need to have been married at city hall in the US before doing so in DR for the religious part? any suggestions of who can give some more info/ who to contact? it is in Cabarete SOON!

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I just got married last august. I had a catholic ceremony and the priest told me that they only marry people in the church. Priest don't perform ceremonies outside. they would marry people of different religions as long as you promise to raise the children catholic. We had to go through six months of preparation.

With that said there are always exceptions. my friends just got married in catholic ceremony in peru. they were already married for a couple of years and they didn't have to go through the pre-cana. Also, a friend of mine whent to a wedding where a priest married them outside. the bride knew the priest all her life and the priest did it as a favor. I guess it all depends on how well you know the priest or how big is your donation to the church.

I think your friends should hire a wedding planner that can take care of all the details for them.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Just curious if anyone has some insight into this...

a couple getting married, one is Catholic and one is Methodist- want to get married on the beach, can a priest do this? bilingual? do they need to have been married at city hall in the US before doing so in DR for the religious part? any suggestions of who can give some more info/ who to contact? it is in Cabarete SOON!

I perform wedding ceremonies here on the north coast Puerto Plata Cabarette etc however this is for people who get legally married back home at City Hall , and have their ceremony and exchange vows here.

shelandbill

Jan 26, 2009
but are affiliated to a religious organization or are you a judge, etc? they do not mind getting married at city hall before, but would like to have more than just a justice of the peace. also, they would like it to be on the beach/ near the water, but still be vows with religion too even though it will not be at a church.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
but are affiliated to a religious organization or are you a judge, etc? they do not mind getting married at city hall before, but would like to have more than just a justice of the peace. also, they would like it to be on the beach/ near the water, but still be vows with religion too even though it will not be at a church.

Normally people choose the style and content of the service they want from a number of different templates more or less.

People come here for the beach wedding. Often for legal and other reasons they have a brief civil wedding at city hall before they come down.

shelandbill

Jan 26, 2009
thanks for the info... still curious about the religious aspect of it- i mean can a preist or minister be the one doing the vows on the beach or waterfront? how do we get that information?