Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is something that might interest you folks

I recently received this from a good techie friend.

It seems that once you have lost your cell phone, either through carelessness or thievery, it is seldom, if ever found and returned.

In order to stymie the use of the apparatus, I was told that the various cell phone service provider can access a special code called the IMEI code and permanently disable the apparatus. Dealers do not have it registered, it is not listed on anything visible on the chip or equipment.

YOU can access the IMEI code number by pressing *#06# . Do not press send. The number pops up on the screen, just make a note of it for future use, JIC (Just In Case).

If someone swipes your phone off of a curbside table while having a beer, just provide the company with the IMEI code and bingo! No service, permanently locked and nobody can unlock it!! At least that is what I was told.

So try this, it might be useful to a few of us...who knows?

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, that was helpful.
    I have "lost" cell phones before and just know that the new "owner" has a free phone at my cost and simply gets to buy minutes.
    Very cool !

Post Thanks / Like

Another friend reported this:

If you keep the box the handset came in then you'll have the IMEI number.

Your provider always has this number or they are bull****ting you.

THAT is precisely why I posted it like I did. I know Jack about this tech stuff, but I can imagine that most people do not keep the box either...

Anyway, good to know...

What I doubt here is that the providers have such records as to find your IMEI if you report it lost or stolen...

All info is good to know IMO

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default They know who you are

Hillbilly,
    The International Mobile Equipment Identifier (IMEI) is a unique 15-digit number that serves as the serial number of the phone. You will find it on the label located on the back of the phone. Usually under the battery. Or like you posted by entering *#06#. The phone company uses this number to activate your phone and keep track of it's usage. If your phone is lost or stolen, the phone company can enter the IMEI number into the database and permanently deactivate the phone. Even if the SIM card is changed, the mobile phone will not work.
    Mack

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Try tracing the imei..............

and see what phone number is using your "lost or stolen" phone...............

if it has been changed............

International Numbering Plans

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

While it is "nice" to have a chance to report IMEI number as lost or stolen....it actually won't help you much

1) "reparacion de celulares" tigueres hackers can change IMEI
    2) if IMEI blocked on Orange, still can be activated on Claro or Viva and vice versa - no IMEI sharing
    3) cell phone companies do not give a SH!T about your Imei blocking, they want you to buy a new phone
    4) While "officially" you have to presnet a cellphone at a dealer to buy a chip to b use din that phone (at that phone OMEI is ran and checked) there are zillions of dealers who don't do that or you can talk them out of that ($$$)
    5) Blocking IMEI is on "activation" and not on "usage" level, meaning IMEI, if reported lost or stolen, will pop up in activation process, but not while chip is inserted and being used.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Yes but not for long

rubio_higuey,
    What you say is absolutely correct, not only that there are thousands of phones with fake IMEI numbers. There is of course also software that can be used to change the IMEI. But... that is going to change. The Mumbai massacre has made sure of that. For sure sometime this year all phones will have to have an IMEI number or they will be rendered useless by whatever phone company they are connected to. Just like 9/11 changed the world so too is the Mumbai massacre going to change the mobile phone industry world wide.
    Will it be possible in the future to find a way round It? Probably
    But to the average cell phone thief will it be worth it? Probably not.
    Mack

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

...and this only works for phones that use a SIM card right? (i.e. if I type this into my Sprint phone I get nothing...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gsm cdma

suarezn.
    GSM technology uses IMEI numbers and SIM cards
    Sprint uses CDMA technology they have ESN's (Electronic Serial Numbers)
    It will be located under your battery
    What is the Difference Between GSM and CDMA?
    Mack.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

and of course, if it is the phone company itself - like Orange in Las Terrenas- that was buying back the stolen phones- well, then they would have no interest in disabling them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast