What does a D/Man gain from marrying a English woman?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Generally speaking the mind set of some Dominicans is that the grass is always greener on the other side if only they could get off the Island and have the opportunity be become rich or at least make lots of money.

Once married would you leave your husband behind? No, you would want him with you so of course sponsorship would follow. Not sure of UK laws, you need to look into your laws but getting married doesn't give him the freedom of visiting any time unless he applies for a visitor visa.

More info here UK Border Agency Visa Services Home Page

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Sorry this is not my husband but my mums, well hes not yet but she has just announced they are planning it for next year.

Dont want to say to much i know she looks on this site.

But her reason for it is so he can visit here!!!!! And i dont think it is as easy as you get married and a week later he can hop on a plane as and when.... ????

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Its ok i should look before i post!

Found it!

I'm just not sure this is the best thing for her to do!

Older people have told me to let her get on with etc.... Should i?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here's a few threads for you to read on UK visas if you haven't read them yet.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/84066-form-vaf4-fianc-visa-uk.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/84213-vistor-visa-uk.html

If he has no money it will cost her no matter which way you look at it. Applications cost money and she would have to show that she can support him if it's for a settlement visa.

Not a good enough reason to get married. This is only my opinion but if your Mom is at the age of looking for fun and not wanting an everlasting life together (24/7) it would be cheaper financially and emotionally for her to visit him in the DR as often as she can afford it. It's more exciting that way. ;)

But that's only my opinion.

Mar 2, 2008
You should offer your advice once, and explain your reasons for your opinion. if asked. Other than that, just ask her to please to think it through, not to do anything impulsively, and then back off, but stay in touch.

Allow her the space to think about things for herself and let her live her life, as you would want to be allowed to live yours.

The important thing is to keep an open lines of communication going. She might eventually begin to see what's up. Don't push her away or make her feel like she has to prove something to you.

Go slowly and respectfully, and be there to subtly point out the contradictions to her as they arise.

Good luck, and be patient.

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Thanks for the advice i will back off. Tell her to write a will and then back off ha

Just one more questsion, do you think it is wrong for me not to attend this wedding?

I mean i have been to the Dom a few times and right now have no desire to come back until i have seen more of the world, however my Mum is upset that i have said i would rather spend the cash and go somewhere else.

Seen as she is only doing it for easy access for them to see each other and they dont plan on living together, how will this effect me? Not like i need to go meet my step farther haha

Or should i be there to support?

Mar 2, 2008
You support your mom.

Enjoy yourself while you're there, and don't take it too seriously, as long as she is protected, which means a pre-nup would help.

You might mention the pre-nup to her, since he can claim half of whatever she owns if they get a divorce at some point. Has she thought about that?

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Well i did mention that she needs to do somthing as, she has shares and insurances etc... So if she had an accident or anything and died everything would go to him.

She laughed and told me not to be daft as he wouldnt get anything!!!!!!

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
That isn't the case unfortunately. I have a friend who wasn't even married to the D/man and only lived together for 5 years. When they split up everything was halved, not only finances but right down to the furniture in the house. And believe me the system makes sure it works better for the native. No, marriage definately does not mean he will be allowed to leave the country, many are trying to get partners out of the country after years of hassle and cost. The red tape on this issue is rediculous and unfair but it is there and no getting around it fast.

If no children are involved I'd advise her to take her time, whats the rush after all.

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
Well there is no kids and they are not planning on living togther there or here, they think it will just be easier for him to travel here if they marry????

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
So this isnt true then!?!

No! My friend was married for 5 years and had 2 kids, and spent a fortune in applications and so on before they could leave.

I'm not doing much better and if you look around, a million of us are trying to get our loved ones out of the country, even for a few month is almost impossible. At any speed anyway. You need alsorts set up. You need enough money to support them, they have to have a job to go back to , a house, blah de blah de blah, and then you might get lucky in 4 or 5 years!!:bunny:

Fresh one

Nov 2, 2006
So marrage is not the answere!

She really needs to know this!

Best to do what Anna said and she should just visit when she can.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
He can visit her on a visitors visa if he can prove he will come back here. Therefore he needs to have a good and steady job and money in the bank and preferably own a house.

If they get married he can apply for a permanent visa and then she has to prove she can support him. So she needs a house and good job etc and they have to prove they married for love and not ease of access to UK.

Once they get married if they get divorced then everything is split 50% to the spouse and 50% to him apart from real estate purchased before the wedding.

If he dies then everything is split 50% spouse and 50% kids. There was a great thread on this by Fabio Guzman.

Is she 100% sure he has no kids????????????

Matilda

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
So marriage is not the answer!

She really needs to know this!

Best to do what Anna said and she should just visit when she can.

Your mother should consult an immigration lawyer who is well versed in these procedures.

She needs to look into the legal aspects-the liability of her property and net worth in case of a divorce.

A consultation with a professional is the best way to go. If you go to your mother with advice she'll think you are just trying to crush her groove.

No one here wants to do that-and hearing from you how this is the wrong way to go about having this man visit her may go in one ear and out the other.

Your mother may think she is doing this man a favor, but this one little act will be a windfall for him and his family in the DR and a potential nightmare for your mother.

There is really nothing to be gained by this on your mother's side.

She can avoid any problems by visiting once in a while, but hearing it from a lawyer may have it sink in. If your mother does read DR1, then she must have some idea as to what she is getting herself into.

Knowing is one thing-knowing and not caring is a mistake that she will pay for dearly.