Shipping a car through Montero

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Hi, all...
I am ready to ship my car from New York to DR through Montero Shipping Company.
I learned about Montero Co. through Dr1 and a good feedback posted by Stodgord on 12-11-05 but I would like to know if Montero shipping still reliable, If has not been any change since 2005 to the present. Any advice or experience will be appreciated.
I will report my experience with them and I am going to schedule the shipping for the first days of February 2009.
Thanks

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I've used them 7 times

Out of Miami, never a problem, but not that big of an item.

broke down the cost to SD then to Sosua.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Fama Shipping

2 years ago I used Fama shipping out of NYC and they had connections in the DR that Montero did not and thats alot when it comes to containers and cars...

212-293-1818
Ask for Fatima.............

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
2 years ago I used Fama shipping out of NYC and they had connections in the DR that Montero did not and thats alot when it comes to containers and cars...

212-293-1818
Ask for Fatima.............

zak023... Can you please check their telephone number? I called now and it was a wrong number... that is exactly what I am looking for(connections) hassle free when I get there, even If I pay extra...thanks...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
zak023... Can you please check their telephone number? I called now and it was a wrong number... that is exactly what I am looking for(connections) hassle free when I get there, even If I pay extra...thanks...

My dear friend try the info below. The tel # zak023 gave was typed wrong its 283 NOT 293. Don't know if Fatima is still there though.:cheeky:

Fama Shipping Inc
(212) 283-1818
1969 Amsterdam Ave Frnt 1,
New York, NY 10032+5041

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
My dear friend try the info below. The tel # zak023 gave was typed wrong its 283 NOT 293. Don't know if Fatima is still there though.:cheeky:

Fama Shipping Inc
(212) 283-1818
1969 Amsterdam Ave Frnt 1,
New York, NY 10032+5041

Thank you dear, that is correct...Fatima is the manager, she is not there yet, but I spoke to Doris very nice lady ...they will call me back with some more information...But so far Montero Shipping has the best rates.....

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am shipping 2 Sony LCD TVs (One 46" and one 40") through Montero Shipping, I will report how it all turns out when they have arrived to Santiago. They should be going out this week and I was given a time of arrival as 3-4 weeks. I will be in Santiago at that time so it will be first hand information.
SHALENA

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would be interested to hear any stories you have about Montero Shipping. I have heard nothing but good things so far, but it's always good to get feedback, good and bad.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........I will report my experience with them and I am going to schedule the shipping for the first days of February 2009.
Thanks

Do you have an email address for Montero as the one on their website does not work.

Please keep us posted. Have they provided you with a price quote? From reading different posts what scares me is what will aduana charge once the car arrives.

Will Montero assist in obtaining insurance, plates, etc. so you can just drive your car off the dock.

Best of luck...........

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Be careful with Fama shipping. I heard the other day that Fatima is currently locked-up. I don't why but I'm sure is NOT for good behavior. Good luck.;)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I am shipping 2 Sony LCD TVs (One 46" and one 40") through Montero Shipping, I will report how it all turns out when they have arrived to Santiago. They should be going out this week and I was given a time of arrival as 3-4 weeks. I will be in Santiago at that time so it will be first hand information.
SHALENA

Sking: If you don't mind could you give us prices you were charged. Just looking to see whether it makes sense to ship from The US o buy down there.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Sking: If you don't mind could you give us prices you were charged. Just looking to see whether it makes sense to ship from The US o buy down there.

Sure, I was quoted $750 for the 46" and $650 for the 40". So $1400 for shipping both and for the 2 of them (on Sale at JandR Music World here in NYC) I paid a total of $2,140. So a total with shipping of $3540...most 46" Sony LCDs in Santiago cost around that, so it's like I am getting a FREE TV! Plus, I know that it is new and not some refurbished return or reject.
SHALENA
All of the Dominicans I work with recommended Montero but I cannot speak on them personally until I receive the merchandise. But they (my coworkers) have all sent a range of items from clothes and food, to Refrigerator/Stove and Washer/Dryer. All have said that they arrived on time, just like it was sent. I have been speaking with "Candy" at the location in the Bronx. My TVs are being delivered directly from the store to Montero.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I will be very in interested to see if the total cost including duty is
$1,400 US for both. Good luck and please let us know.

Wow, I had no idea it cost that much to send a couple of TVs. Would it be easier and cheaper to bring them down with you and take your chances with aduana at the airport?

What in the world do you do if you get the TVs to the DR and one of them needs repair under warranty?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sure, I was quoted $750 for the 46" and $650 for the 40". So $1400 for shipping both and for the 2 of them (on Sale at JandR Music World here in NYC) I paid a total of $2,140. So a total with shipping of $3540...most 46" Sony LCDs in Santiago cost around that, so it's like I am getting a FREE TV! Plus, I know that it is new and not some refurbished return or reject.
SHALENA

Thanks Shalena. Is this supposed to be door-to-door delivery and include custom charges? If that's the case then that seems like a very fair price.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Well, I just bought a Sony LCD40? for 53,000 pesos =1,472dllls
prices here in santo domingo are reducing a lot.
Plasma are even cheaper. you can get a Panasonic plasma50? for 1,550dls.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Port Elizabeth NJ

Anyone know how much a 20ft or 40ft container would cost from NY, before taxes?

I brought a 40 ft container from Pt Eliz to Caucedo last February (Philadelphia was the point of origin).
If I recall, it was about$2500. I used Hispaniola Freight in Sto Domingo - they have a website. Lilie was my contact.
Arrived in 10 days.

One phone call to any shipper will give you the answer Search for Hipaniola freight and the phone number will come up. I posted back in March or so.
Or go to the website www.hispaniolafreight.com

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I was curious as there is something I would like to import one day. And seeing the rates for the tvs, thought that might be a bit much - it's more than half the price ship a whole container. Now if only i could find online tarifs! Doubt that will happen anytime soon - I guess I send pib a pm? Are they still on here?