Bringing a Cellular Phone for DR Vacation

F

Fernando Portes

Friends,
Does any have experience bringing his/her cellular phone to DR and buying a short time calling card? If yes, what company(ies) would sell the calling cards? Thanks.

B

Ben

for what its worth I brought mine had it put on line cost 45.00$ us once you get your phone you must buy phone cards from 25to 450 pesos and you must keep it up If you do not your line will be stopped. your phone cards dont give you much time so carry some in your wallet I went with codetel Im going to stop mine and use the puter to get in touch. the choice is yours

C

Chris

Anyone know anything about bringing a mobile from the UK? I am on Bt Cellnet here, will it be of any use there?

S

Sandra

From what I have been told it is impossible to get a mobile in th UK which works in the DR - ours are Dual Band and a Tri-Band is needed. I am returning to the DR next week to live and have sold my mobile here and will buy one in Puerto Plata next week.
Have a good vacation!

L

Lynda

Local calls on DR Vacation with Canadian cell

Does anyone know if a Bell canada cell phone works in the DR? I need to phone a home in puerto Plata while I am there. Can I buy a card to get my cell to work there for local calls?

L

Lyse

Re: Local calls on DR Vacation with Canadian cell

I have a Qualcomm activated with Bell Mobilit? in Canada and it doesn't work in the D.R. I had to have it activated on the NAM-2 in the D.R.

E

Eddy

Re: Local calls on DR Vacation with Canadian cell

My phone is activated in both Canada and the DR. Two seperate area codes and numbers. If you are a frequent visitor to the Dr., I suggest that you have it activated here on line 2. Then you can use it both in Canada (Line 1) and the DR. (Line 2)

P

peter

Regarding phones from UK or other places in Europe.

Orange just launched their GSM network, but so far it's only
working in Santo Domingo and maybe Santiago.
They are working in the 1900 Mhz, so you must have a
"world phone" model, with dual band 900/1900 instead of the
normal european 900/1800.

For other areas, you must use a TDMA or CDMA phone. (old systems that only works in America. )

BR // Peter

J

Jim Hinsch

"For other areas, you must use a TDMA or CDMA phone. (old systems that only works in America. )"

This is not correct.

The most widely available cell phone service in the DR is for 800 Mhz AMPS cellulars, aka, analog (Advanced Mobile Phone Service). Many CDMA (digital) and TDMA (digital) phones also support 800 Mhz AMPS, however be aware that many require special programming to be able to select between the "A" (Tricom) or "B" (Codetel) carrier (see www.BocaChicaBeach.net/staying_in_touch.html for a discussion).

AMPS is also a de facto standard throughout Mexico, Central and South America, very common in the Pacific Rim and also found in Africa and the remains of the USSR. Today, about half the cellular phones in the world operate according to AMPS standards, which, since 1988, have been maintained and developed by the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA). In summary, AMPS is on every continent except Europe and Antarctica.