any different ideas in the south (b.c.)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i know my way around pretty well and am comfotable taking guaguas around the south part of the isla. Zona Colonial is nice...but i've been there many times and only go there now for a couple of the clubs.

I've been to guyacannes, playa caribe, juan dolio. Been to the aquarium (the aquarium was rather lame...just honest).

I hear sosua is really nice...but i dont fancy a tour with a bunch of drunk tourists. If i had more $$$ i would like to stay in bahayibe and hire a pescadoro to take me to the isla....but that will have to be another time.

Unfortunately i will miss winter league :-(

I dunno...just trying to come up with something different to do this trip. If anyone knows of any good concerts around that time please let me know (feb 26 - mar 6).

are there any good water falls and river swimming in the area? snorkeling spots?

any suggestions are welcome

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. The caves on the San Pedro-La Romana road are good. Cueva de las Maravillas.
2. Altos de Chavon followed by lunch in Casa de Campo marina
3. Day trip to Bayahibe
4. Wander around San Pedro looking at what was once amazing architecture. Visit fruit veg and meat market for real Dominican experience. Lunch at Robbie Mar fish restaurant for the best fish around.
5. 4wheel buggie drive through the campos from Faenza in Juan Dolio. Good fun but dirty!!
6. Horse riding on the beach
7. Day trip for best snorkelling to Catalina island

let me know if you need any more information re any of these.

Matilda

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i know my way around pretty well and am comfotable taking guaguas around the south part of the isla. Zona Colonial is nice...but i've been there many times and only go there now for a couple of the clubs.

I've been to guyacannes, playa caribe, juan dolio. Been to the aquarium (the aquarium was rather lame...just honest).

I hear sosua is really nice...but i dont fancy a tour with a bunch of drunk tourists. If i had more $$$ i would like to stay in bahayibe and hire a pescadoro to take me to the isla....but that will have to be another time.

Unfortunately i will miss winter league :-(

I dunno...just trying to come up with something different to do this trip. If anyone knows of any good concerts around that time please let me know (feb 26 - mar 6).

are there any good water falls and river swimming in the area? snorkeling spots?

any suggestions are welcome[/QUOTE

OOps i meant saona not sosua!

Thanks for the tips matilda. I am booked and ready to go...just want to do a couple of different things. The caves sound fun...and i probably will break down and to catalina. Snorkeling is one of my favorite things to do.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
is meeting matilda on the list

I would certainly like to meet up with some local DR1'rs in the capital either for lunch or dinner. I get a little bored of the beach after a couple of days and enjoy some urban life.

I always like to spend a night or two in the capital...but i cant afford to pay for two hotels at the same time this trip ;-(

I suppose i could stay at a cabana for a few hours till the guaguas start running. I've never been to a cabana tho.

well..i got nearly a month to put things together. A sunday gathering in the capital might be nice as i dont like the beaches when they get too crowded.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'll be in the SD from the 4th to the 7th JJ. It would be nice to get together with you and other DR1ers for a drink sometime then. I've got to ask you though; are you really thinking about spending even a few hours in a cabana in the capitol?!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I heard the trip would be worth while just to view Mr.Matilda and look at his carvings

Mr and Mrs matilda live in Juan Dolio and would be more than happy to meet fellow DR1ers. Just pm.

Mr Matilda has recently carved 5 ft high Jesus's!!! Plus of course he still has storks and flamingos and dolphins and cockerels!!

Matilda

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............OOps i meant saona not sosua!..........
LOL, glad you corrected that cause I thought you had lost your mind.

Did you ever just spend a day shopping in the malls in SD. The large LaSirena and the large Plaza Lama plus Plaza Central? It is a great way to spend some time. I generally don't buy much but have a nice time just hanging out.

As far as concerts the only way to find out is to be in the DR and look for the famous white notices posted on the highway. The bigest problem is most of them are at locations difficult to get to.

Yeah winter league is over and lucky me I was there for the last game.