Premium LPG?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
WTF?

I filled up the SUV today with propane. I pulled into a gas station and asked the attendant to fill it, and open the vent valve. So he did.

Then I saw the price: 3 pesos more than I read the new price was. So we asked the attendant what was up.

He said the pump I pulled up to was "premium" because of the additives, which he couldn't explain. He said premium gives 18-20% better...something, he didn't exactly know what.

So I paid 60 pesos more than expecting, no big deal, really, but I have never heard of "premium" LPG before. Can anyone enlighten me? I thought I ~knew~ about fuels; I guess not. I will now be watching the pump more carefully.

FWIW, the station was the Cocigas station on the autopista leaving Santiago to the south.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I found there is a propane additive, and is used extensively in industrial applications (forklifts, etc.) and is recommended by FoMoCo for all of their propane powered vehicles. I wonder if this is the "Premium" that Cogigas sells:

CGX-4 Propane LPG Supplement or Additive for Engines

I googled around and found a whole bunch of propane dealers in the states that sell a "Premium LPG" using this compound.

Feb 7, 2007
In the USA maybe.... but here... if they tell they use additive, you cannot prove them lying, but more likely than not, it's mentira

Well...do your driving around and see if you get better mileage... if you do, well...it's clear then. If you don't, report them to Industria y Comercio and stop using them...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
How much does a fill-up cost and how many miles will it last ..........
They had 2 separate pumps, brand new. Price was 3 pesos more that the "regular". I'm monitoring the mileage. My mileage history is pretty predictible.

We'll see. I'm sceptical.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
It doesn't have to be exact, just approximate........

I have an old 85 Honda Civic SW, here in Phila., hard to get parts ..........

Holds about 10 gallons and goes approximately 200 miles, hard city driving ..........