Travel MIA/SDQ with German Shepherd

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I'd like to bring my buddy Guinness to the DR with me next month.

Has anyone traveled into SDQ with a large dog lately? What are the air/vet/migration requirements?

Any pre/post trip advice?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm trying to get my dog from Miami too.
Airlines like to limit the overall weight (crate+dog) to 100lbs. You and I flunk that test.
I'm looking an air freight company. That, too, is tricky because you need to be at both ends (MIA + SDQ).

I have no solution so far and would appreciate any help I can get on the subject.

The import requirements aren't difficult. Tests and shots within 14 days of arrival - vet letter, etc.
Mode of transport is the stumbling block. I'm prepared to drive the dog from Philadelphia to Miami to simplify things.

Let's see if any one can help. I need to arrive in 2 weeks.

carrie

Sep 16, 2004
Your buddy Guinness is a huge dog and would have to travel in the belly of the plane. He will be traumatized and it costs more for a kennel than an onboard dog in a carrier under your seat.

You will need a Vet's Certificate from USA indicating that he is fit and has all vaccinations. The certificates are generally good for 30 days and you must travel back to the USA within that 30 day period or you have to get a Vet Certificate here from a local vet. You also have to pay an Agriculture fee in Dom Republic to take your pet with you back to the States.

I have taken 3 of my Dominican Chihuahuas to the States but left them in the States. As travellers under the seat they did just fine cause Mommy was with them.

If you decide to bring the dog make sure you can have him where you will be staying. And that he is safe from folks trying to steal him because he is a Pure Breed??

carrie

Sep 16, 2004
Ooops Good Luck.

I just saw the other post. Keep checking all the airlines for weight limits.

I have seen huge dogs in Kennels via American Airlines.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's a link with Airlines that ship. Continental has a good program. Call them and confirm their weight limit is dog and crate not more than 200lbs.
Article: Shipping Your Pet
Good luck to you

I have spoken to Continental. They will route the MIA dog through Newark.
Yes, they allow bigger crates/weights BUT just 1 large crate per plane and the cost gets up over $500.
The big problem however is their lack of a direct flight MIA-SDQ.

Continental is the best - they have a dedicated animal 800 number that lets you monitor the shipment.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Browsing around the American Airlines web site,

Traveling With Pets | American Airlines Pet Policy

I found that;

MIA/SDQ travel with dog + crate is 100 lbs. max. Guinness is around 59 lbs.

The max size for a kennel is 40"x27"x30" (series 500). The ones I'm finding weigh around 33 lbs, so weight wise looks good.

Day of travel ambient temperature limitations of 45-85 degrees F. at departure and arrival destinations; < or > and the airline refuses travel.

One way trip = US$150.

No flights over 12 hours in duration.

Carrie, is the vet cert. a US requirement to travel international or a DR one? He'll be staying at my home in SD and isn't fond of strangers:devious:

William Webster - "I'm prepared to drive the dog from Philadelphia to Miami to simplify things."

Wouldn't it be easier and faster to drive up the turnpike to EWR and fly directly to SDQ with the dog?

Still not clear on the vet certs. on either end/country:confused:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have 400 series crate that will fit my 77lb dog. I'm on the scales at 97-98 lbs so we're dieting until next week's trip.:)
I did some exact weighing after writing to you and was surprised to find I was less than 100lb.

400 series should work for you -- 20lbs

Thanks for EWR tip. Obviously I could do that but I have another very old dog that we are leaving in FLA with friends. Dog's too old for the trip. Plus, I would need to be at EWR at 4:30am !
The traveler dog is staying in the DR to do her job - Italian Mastiff

Th paperwork seems simple. Just the shots and the vet letter. I read somewhere on this site that a visitor is good for 30 days. You should verify that.

The DR website gives you all the info.

Good Luck See you at MIA !!

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I'm on the scales at 97-98 lbs so we're dieting until next week's trip.:)
(I immediately thought about that when you hinted overweight!)

Thanks for EWR tip. Obviously I could do that.....
(I think the temp requirement would screw that idea up!)

The traveler dog is staying in the DR to do her job - Italian Mastiff
(Nice! We should hook up in Mirador Sur and let the two sniff away)

Th paperwork seems simple. Just the shots and the vet letter. I read somewhere on this site that a visitor is good for 30 days. You should verify that.
(Will do, thanks.)

Good Luck See you at MIA !!
(Same to you, I hope we don't fly at the same time 'cause I believe there is a two dog max in the belly of the plane. If a third showed up, we'd be drawing straws to see who goes, lol.)

madera

Jan 30, 2009
no return

i took my dog down and not bringin her back. she is an excellent watch dog and when she is here(sometimes i pay boarding) no , crime in my apt bldg. should have left her in my place because i got robbed, for some reason all the people put up with her. maybe because it is a free watchman...when she was not here we were robbed four different times that i know of... none when she is on duty 24/7...