Am I right in thinking Dollar is worth more than Peso, now?

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
I've noticed a slight swing around between the 2 against the pound, am I imagining this?
As you might know I'm mathematically dyslexic :bunny: and not the best at exchange rate observation.
Anyone?
How much is my sister gunna get for her money coming from UK?
My point being I'd rather lend them the money and wait for a change if it is gunna be silly exchange, sorry I'm in no place to advise!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In the Uk the US$ is at 1.35 to the pound today. The peso pound is 49 and the peso dollar 35.5.

So your sister spends 100 pounds on dollars and brings here 135 dollars. She then changes into pesos and gets 4792 pesos.

Or she brings her 100 pounds here and gets 4900 pesos.

Answer to question is bring pounds. However I may have the figures wrong!!! But that was in Hoy today. Plus I have ignored commission.

Anyway soon the dollar Euro and pound will all be the same so it will be a lot easier!!!

Matilda

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
I've noticed a slight swing around between the 2 against the pound, am I imagining this?
As you might know I'm mathematically dyslexic :bunny: and not the best at exchange rate observation.
Anyone?
How much is my sister gunna get for her money coming from UK?
My point being I'd rather lend them the money and wait for a change if it is gunna be silly exchange, sorry I'm in no place to advise!

Hi, UK? to the US$ exchange rates (depending on how much is being changed) are as follows. You won't get the "bank rate" in the UK, only the tourist rate unless you are buying in advance or changing a LOT of pounds. If I was to order from the Post Office right now I would get $1.3607 to ?1 if I was changing ?1000, Thomas Cook is offering $1.3581 to?1 if I was changing ?1000, my own bank LLoyds will give me $1.3480 to ?1.

Therefore If I bought through the Post Office I would get 47.62 pesos to ?1 if I changed my dollars in the DR @ $DOP35 to $1, after buying the dollars on the UK. If I changed the ?1 in the DR I would probably get about 49 according to ferniebee's latest post (http://www.bancentral.gov.do/tasas_cambio/TMC4001.PDF) so it would be better to bring ?UK. The market really is changing by the hour with the ?UK against the $US so it's very difficult to advise you what to do.

Tropical Regards
Reidy

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
http://fxglobaltransfer.oanda.com/

Oanda is quoting 1.4281 change 700 Pounds to 1000 USD PLUS a $25 fee!

The OP is best either bringing Pounds or using an ATM, otherwise you are paying the spread twice.

You can negotiate a higher rate at a cambio, if changing a few more quid!

Victor's rates look pretty good for most currencies.

tambo'

PS: where is that poster that trades platano futures?

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Oanda is showing 1.42541 & Yahoo 1.4295 so I think Hoy is a little off :cheeky:.

Yes scrubmuncher the dollar is worth more than the peso. Last time the peso was on a par with the dollar was I think back in the 1970's.

yeap i remember when it was .15 to the dollar.....and i thought it was a lot of money. hahaha

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Q for scrubmuncher, how much cash are we talking about here? That will obviously affect the advise the DR1'ers can give you.

Regards

Reidy

Exacto!

The difference on $1000 USD between changing Pounds vs USD based on OANDA's rate and Banco Central is RD138/1000USD.

Does it really matter unless you are buying a finca?

Just bring an ATM card or Pounds.

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
Q for scrubmuncher, how much cash are we talking about here? That will obviously affect the advise the DR1'ers can give you.

Regards

Reidy

I've just spoken and she is thinking of changing ?2000. I've told her just to use my money (I'd rather not, I'm moving out of Sosua to find cheaper accom as things are so tight) and hope this exchange rate changes in the near future. I don't take much notice of exchange rates, as I tend to live on what I earn 'Pesos', but it is extremely freaky to see the difference on what my sister is getting to what I got for ?1000 15 months ago when I first got here.
I can't believe it!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
now, that reminds me - i was thinking to transfer my money from UK to DR. should i transfer them to peso account or to dollars account?
or should i hold off and wait for the pound to get better?
alternatively i can just spend it all when i go to UK. :)

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
From what I'm reading these things can go on for years and years!!! Still the rate is pretty spectacular so I'm sure many are confused!!

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Just bring an ATM card...

2gv4vbl.gif

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
Reactions: Malibook

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, so is better to change pounds to pesos or to dollars? because i am lost now...

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
ok, so is better to change pounds to pesos or to dollars? because i am lost now...

Thankyou for your support in the ignorance on this subject, gives me a sense of company on my quest to understand 3 way exchange. :squareeye