Censorship/Things R Worse in D.R.

C

Capt. Rob

Re: Things are getting worse in the D.R.

First off let me say I have been coming to the D.R. for 12 years am married to a Dominican and have been living here for one year. I have waited to read all responses before I wade into this mess. What disturbes me the most is not negative comments but, the williness by some to suppress ones views. WHAT MADE AMERICA THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD ? FREEDOM OF SPEECH! When one tries to ban the opinion of others what will be next? The burnning of books, religious freedom, or the incarceration of those who don't look, act, or have the same political views we do. To my knowledge the D.R. is NOT a comminist country. When one does not like the televison program one simply chnges the channel. I will leave you with this one thought. VOLTER once said "I MAY NOT AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY BUT, WILL FIGHT TO THE
DEATH FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT."

Capt. Rob

T

tgf

Re: Viva Voltaire

Yes, things at times get pretty heated on this board. The thread you mentioned had people questioning the logic of the poster. Tony had every right to post his opinions but others have every right to question the validity of the post. Tony was talking about his personal views and a few things he saw. Part of the post was perhaps fact and part conjecture. People questioned the conjecture part. I don't think many individuals asked that the post be deleted (only one) - the rest argued why the post didn't make sense to them. I think this is really a pretty good example of free speech in the forum. Voltaire was correct and I agree, Tony had every right to say what he thought, but so did everyone else. As long as no threats, swear words, or other things outside the DR1 guidelines are stated, let the discussion flow free. I love the Dominican Republic but I will admit that there are many problems to be resolved. Believe me, trying to complete development projects in country have made me want to scream on more than one occasion in the past.

C

CES

Re: Viva Voltaire, Viva la RD!

Capt. & Tgf,

I must agree 100% with your statements and assessment of the political situation in the DR. My wife (una Dominican) is visiting her family (lucky her) in SDQ presently and I've called her a couple of times to get the latest news. She reports that there is a wait and see attitude regarding the Mej?a government but it all depends on how the tax package fairs in congress (just how much taxes are increased), and the future price of gasoline, diesel, and also propane. If the increase is too server the Mej?a regime will be in for some rough times, I'll have more info. later as the reports come in.

Regards,

. . . CES

S

Susanne

Re: Viva Voltaire, Viva la RD!

Part of the thread has been removed, other parts remain. I agree with Voltaire and I cannot see how the thread violated the DR1 guidelines. The matter was important - even if I got somewhat tired of Tony's idea that everybody were attacking him.

Regards,
Susanne

E

Eric

I Think Toni is 93% Right

I am dominican WITH NO POLITICAL AFILIATION, live abroad and just came back from DR.
I have been absent for almost 10 years and spent those years dreaming and planning the day of my return with my wife and kids none of which had ever been there.
My first dissapointment was right at the airport (POP) they open your luggage and dig thru it spilling the contents to their side of the table so when you walk away, they keep it. Then the luggage carriers or "maleteros" mob you to take your luggage. If you tip them less than they expect, they will insult you in public. Then when you think is all over, the rent-a-car companies will swarm you again offering their services.
You finally made it out, now drive away and pray, the roads are full of potholes, unmarked, unprotected, and the motorcycles remind you of a cloud of insects crossing in front of you.

My 10 years of anticipation for my return brought me here for a 30 day vacation, but there is no electric power for most of the time, the city (Santiago) was one huge landfill with trash accumulated on every single corner. Even the turist atractions were covered by trash and beggars.

This is just a snapshot of what I saw, I know that most visitors go to playa dorada and do not see this, but then, that isn't DR.
What Toni saw, was there because I also saw it. Some of the contributors of this board will not like my views and that's fine. But that won't take away from the fact that DR is not nearly the paradise that is being painted to potential visitors.

To those of you who will argue that my posting is part of "A DIFAMATION CAMPAIGN" I'll tell you that you are wrong, my intent is to get some feelings hurt. Especially those of appointed officials that have never taken any pride on the image they project. My critism is directed to those living there to wake up their civic sentiments and start cleaning up their places.

After 12 days, I had to return with a very disappointed wife and two sick girls.

For the offended ones, let the bombing begin
And remeber, don't drink and drive, or in the DR don't drive at all.
Amable Tavarez (Eric)

C

Craig

capt.rob,you are so right! if one has a bad trip to the d.r.it should be heard. no one should powder puff or cenorship.

C

CES

Re: I Think Toni is 93% Right

Unlike the "Banana Republicans" in Florida, and their political hacks through out this country, whose rhetoric simply makes the USA look third rate in the eyes of the world, your candid observations make an important point. I commend you for "telling like it is" even though it puts the DR in a some what unflattering light. I don't doubt that EVERY thing you've said, is TRUE!

"It is your prerogative to criticize the way things are in the Dominican Republic but you will NEVER TAKE AWAY the pride of country that is in the harts of the true 'Compatriots'." This statement carries much more authority (meaning) when properly recited, with conviction, in Spanish by Mrs. CGS (a lady just this side of five feet (152 cm.) tall).

Regards,

. . . CES

ps . . . I'm writing this because my wife (sobriquet "una Compatriota", "una Cibae?a") ascribes to a certain code, the proper word escapes me right now, or etiquette that values anonymity in the affairs of the public forum. This is the reason our messages aren't identified by our full names.

pps . . . check the "Bravenet Forum" to see the "Banana Republicans" at work. . .

T

tony

Re: I Think Toni is 93% Right

One thing I wanted to mention about POP..(I usually go via SDQ) we were "rushed" through Customs with our luggage..the maletero's response was that me and my friend looked like "titeres"..so he rushed us through..of course he was expecting a tip which was understandable since he worked off tips and not from the airport directly. Then we got followed to the car by a man who refused to stop following us until he was given a dollar or two - and NO a FIRM no in spanish or english- did not do the trip. And last but not least we had to give 10 pesos to the guard watching the parking lot ...I arrived at POP and not 15 minutes had gone by where I was insulted, and where 3 people had to be payed off just to be left in peace...