legal or not legal, that is the question

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Ok so I know the answer already, but I need some other options on this. Mods if this is not in the right area, please feel free to move. I just need to vent a little bit! :)

A friend of mine is down in the Dominican Republic right now. She is planning on getting married on February 6th. Funny thing is, she is still married here in Canada. She can't even file for divorce until the end of April. And according to the DR consulate website, she is suppose to wait for 10 months until after it is even final to get remarried in the DR. Her boyfriend wanted a quick marriage, he is 25 and she is 39. And the killer is she only met him in November and has sent him down close to 2000.00 since her last visit in December. I have given up an telling her about the resort guys and how they work. I said, stop sending him money and see what happens.

Ok back to the marriage thing.

Her boyfriend told her that he knows of a lawyer down in the DR that will get her papers saying that she has single status and that she has never been married before, so she can get married down there. Is she really that stupid, yes she is, she is still married up here. What the hell is she thinking.

So are there lawyers down there that do this kind of thing? Her marriage isn't going to be vaild, right? Like she is still married up here in Canada.

She will never be able to bring him here to Canada because she needs to prove that they are married, when they got married and etc.

Is this marriage even going to be vaild.

I have washed my hands of trying to tell her to read this forum and seek some guidence. I don't even know if I am going to be able to face her when she comes back. This is all just a big sham and just to funny. I can't stop laughing at how stupid she is, thinking that this marriage is going to be legal. What is she thinking????

Ok that was my vent, I have no one else to really vent to about this and I just need some other options. I know that people on here will just tell me how it is and I am looking forward to that. That is why I love everyone on here.

Cheers
Erin

PS, kind of wish I was there to watch this sham of a marriage and to get the heck out of this snow!

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Ok so I know the answer already, but I need some other options on this. Mods if this is not in the right area, please feel free to move. I just need to vent a little bit! :)

A friend of mine is down in the Dominican Republic right now. She is planning on getting married on February 6th. Funny thing is, she is still married here in Canada. She can't even file for divorce until the end of April. And according to the DR consulate website, she is suppose to wait for 10 months until after it is even final to get remarried in the DR. Her boyfriend wanted a quick marriage, he is 25 and she is 39. And the killer is she only met him in November and has sent him down close to 2000.00 since her last visit in December. I have given up an telling her about the resort guys and how they work. I said, stop sending him money and see what happens.

Her boyfriend told her that he knows of a lawyer down in the DR that will get her papers saying that she has single status and that she has never been married before, so she can get married down there. Is she really that stupid, yes she is, she is still married up here. What the hell is she thinking.

So are there lawyers down there that do this kind of thing? Her marriage isn't going to be vaild, right? Like she is still married up here in Canada.

She will never be able to bring him here to Canada because she needs to prove that they are married, when they got married and etc.

I have washed my hands of trying to tell her to read this forum and seek some guidence. I don't even know if I am going to be able to face her when she comes back. This is all just a big sham and just to funny. I can't stop laughing at how stupid she is, thinking that this marriage is going to be legal. What is she thinking????

Ok that was my vent, I have no one else to really vent to about this and I just need some other options. I know that people on here will just tell me how it is and I am looking forward to that. That is why I love everyone on here.

Cheers
Erin

PS, kind of wish I was there to watch this sham of a marriage and to get the heck out of this snow!

Tell her that bigamy is a criminal offense in our Canadian Criminal code.

290. (1) Every one commits bigamy who

(a) in Canada,

(i) being married, goes through a form of marriage with another person,

(ii) knowing that another person is married, goes through a form of marriage with that person, or

(iii) on the same day or simultaneously, goes through a form of marriage with more than one person; or

(b) being a Canadian citizen resident in Canada leaves Canada with intent to do anything mentioned in subparagraphs (a)(i) to (iii) and, pursuant thereto, does outside Canada anything mentioned in those subparagraphs in circumstances mentioned therein.

291. (1) Every one who commits bigamy is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years

Johana

May 24, 2006
Maybe he's arranged for her to get a quick Domincan divorce while she is there. Then she could sign the single-status affadavit and have it translated there.
And the 10 month waiting rule is for a Dominican woman that is divorced (unless she is re-marrying the man that she divorced.)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

Cheers
Erin

I always ask myself how can Dominican chopos(as) with NO education, that barely know how to read or write managed to outsmart people with a first word education!!!!!!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I always ask myself how can Dominican chopos(as) with NO education, that barely know how to read or write managed to outsmart people with a first word education!!!!!!!!!

Because the brain between the legs is indeed small.

Last edited:

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Tell her that bigamy is a criminal offense in our Canadian Criminal code.

290. (1) Every one commits bigamy who

(a) in Canada,

(i) being married, goes through a form of marriage with another person,

(ii) knowing that another person is married, goes through a form of marriage with that person, or

(iii) on the same day or simultaneously, goes through a form of marriage with more than one person; or

(b) being a Canadian citizen resident in Canada leaves Canada with intent to do anything mentioned in subparagraphs (a)(i) to (iii) and, pursuant thereto, does outside Canada anything mentioned in those subparagraphs in circumstances mentioned therein.

291. (1) Every one who commits bigamy is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years

And I tried to tell her that!!!! She just wouldn't listen.

As for the quick Domincan divorce thing, well that isn't happening at all. I asked her about that and she said that she would deal with all this when she got back. Her soon to be ex husband here did agree to a divorce, but she isn't signing the papers till april!

Like unreal!!!! I have met this guy and he isn't all that and a bag of chips. He works on the resort, in the disco, trying to get the ladies to dance. He is totally taking her for every penny that she has. I know, some people might say that this is true love, but she is commiting a criminal offence!!!

I just needed to here what others thought of this because I have just given up and trying to stop her from doing this and I just needed to vent. Others don't understand about this and I knew people here would.

As for the 10th month waiting period, thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure if that was for Canadians or ladies from the Dominican Republic. That is good information to know as my bestfriend is getting married later this year and she was waiting for the full 10 month period, but unlike my friend that I am talking about here, she is going about this the right way.

Thanks everyone!!!

Cheers
Erin

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
What a stupid woman, I think she deserves everything she gets, and some.
Yes you get corrupt legals here, more corrupt than straight when it comes to the law and official doings, literally everything can be bought, from freedom from prison to legal documents for marriage.
No need to keep telling her how stupid she is, surely she knows she is being used and once the money stops, physical abuse tends to become quite common. Enough until she leaves which saves him the job of kicking her out and leaves him with half of all she owns, from knives and forks to houses and saving. Half of everything and they do get it, every time.
As said, you are describing someone who deserves it so carry on!!

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
I agree that she is very stupid. I just don't know what to tell her anymore. She is the one that will never be able to bring him here. She has kids and won't be able to move there because her husband now won't let her take the kids. She is freaking CRAZY!!!!

kevadair

Nov 9, 2007
Been there, Done that, Have the T-Shirt.

I didn't get married in the DR, but a Canadian woman met a guy I know here and he introduced her to me. She got my email off my card, and I spent the next few months trying (like you are trying) to get her to rethink the whole thing. She still got married, he started robbing her and her mom more quickly, she realized her mistake, and she ended up getting a Canadian annulment based on fraud. That might be more difficult if she's lying to the Canadian government to get married in the first place.

First, here's the advice that I gave that the Canadian woman ignored: Live with the guy in his country for at least a month before you marry him! Who would ever get married without living together first?! If she lives with him for even a month here in the DR, she'l know things like if he has kids, or a wife that he calls every time he goes to the bathroom.

Second, since this is all Canada and such, if you send me a private message with your email, I'll send it on to her, and maybe she can contact your friend. No promises that she will follow-up, but I have her info and I could contact her if you like.

If not, wish you friend multiple lives of happiness for her multiple marriages, from me.

Kevin

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
And I tried to tell her that!!!! She just wouldn't listen.

As for the quick Domincan divorce thing, well that isn't happening at all. I asked her about that and she said that she would deal with all this when she got back. Her soon to be ex husband here did agree to a divorce, but she isn't signing the papers till april!

Like unreal!!!! I have met this guy and he isn't all that and a bag of chips. He works on the resort, in the disco, trying to get the ladies to dance. He is totally taking her for every penny that she has. I know, some people might say that this is true love, but she is commiting a criminal offence!!!

I just needed to here what others thought of this because I have just given up and trying to stop her from doing this and I just needed to vent. Others don't understand about this and I knew people here would.

As for the 10th month waiting period, thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure if that was for Canadians or ladies from the Dominican Republic. That is good information to know as my bestfriend is getting married later this year and she was waiting for the full 10 month period, but unlike my friend that I am talking about here, she is going about this the right way.

Thanks everyone!!!

Cheers
Erin

The 10 months waiting rule doesn't apply to her.
Tell her that for her own sake if she gets married you'll report her to the district attorney and to the Canadian immigration too.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
The 10 months waiting rule doesn't apply to her.
Tell her that for her own sake if she gets married you'll report her to the district attorney and to the Canadian immigration too.

That is what I was thinking. She really has no clue that what she is going is going to get her in REAL big trouble.

Is there a way that Canada customs would find out on her way back into Canada?

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Is the wedding anywhere good? If so, any chance of me getting invited to the wedding? I could take a video and post it on youtube for you! J/K!

Your friend sounds like she is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

With any luck, she'll snap out of it before the wedding. If not, well, there are reprocutions for her actions..................

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Is the wedding anywhere good? If so, any chance of me getting invited to the wedding? I could take a video and post it on youtube for you! J/K!

Your friend sounds like she is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

With any luck, she'll snap out of it before the wedding. If not, well, there are reprocutions for her actions..................

Well I can give you the details if you are going to anywhere near Rio San Juan on Feb 6th!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it's a simple theme:
it is just a fraud, falsification of documents.
it is against the Canadian laws because it is bigamy,
it is also against the dominican laws because we are talking about document's fraud to get the next marriage done.
she should be clear about the fact that both countries have punishment for HER criminal actions.
if she has kids from her first marriage the hardest effect could be:
as a loving mother(IF she is anything like such) she risks to be a convict for bigamy by canadian law, so how would a canadian judge decide when talking about "who get's the kiddies"???
this case is just a big stupidity.
somebody mentioned in a prior post "the better education".
heck, what EDUCATION?
there's crap everywhere, doesn't matter where a country's people place themselves over others.
in the whole scenario the only smart guy i see with enough education and brain to know what he's doing is the Sanky who started to get his payments and will go on to get them as long as possible, he's the one who is running his business profitable, much smarter than the 'other' side. and if he's not legally married to any other chic of his HE is NOT doing any fraud/crime, not running against any law, because he does not need a fraudulent papers about a single status to commit a crime.
looks like the island is not the spot with the biggest educational problem on the planet.
happy weekend
Mike

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
lets see , Rio San Juan Feb 6?whats on the menu?and will they be serving alchohol?i could go and drink all the liquor and ruin the big day....lol

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Its all about sex, the guy is young and hung. If you want to help your friend, spend a little money and set up the groom with another woman and have the event photographed or videotaped for the bride to see.

If she still want to marry the guy, after seeing the proof he is cheating POS, she should spend the next five years in jail.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
OK so here is an up date!

My best friend talked to her yesterday and she told the lawyer in Puerto Plata that she was divorced in April 2007!! She can't even file for divorce until April this year.

Omg, how can someone be so stupid. I so hope that she gets caught.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I agree that she is very stupid. I just don't know what to tell her anymore. She is the one that will never be able to bring him here.

Could be blessing in disguise. This makes me so angry because this is the sort of thing that makes immigration Canada so hard to deal and everyone is treated with suspect, real relationships or not and it's this sort of thing that makes waiting times longer and longer.

What is the rush to get married anyway? Nothing will change and he can't get here. What is her reason for getting married before getting divorced?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
A friend of mine is down in the Dominican Republic right now. She is planning on getting married on February 6th. Funny thing is, she is still married here in Canada. She can't even file for divorce until the end of April. And according to the DR consulate website, she is suppose to wait for 10 months until after it is even final to get remarried in the DR.

Not sure why you are repeating this since we gave you the correct info back in Dec 2008.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/82687-marriage-dominican-republic.html#post704853

That Law of waiting 10 months after divorce is for DOMINICAN women.