Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pool salt/chlorine generating operation

anyone got any views on this idea mentioned in another thread - has anyone had one and not liked it - whats the cost? any information gratefully accepted

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We have one..........

.........but it is on our pool in the US. We still use chlorine here in Puerto Plata...............but yes, it works fine................

We bought a unit on one of the discount websites that was reduced from 1400. to $600US at one point. We installed it ourselves and basically it only involved cutting the pipe and putting this unit in between the two pieces of pipe that return the water to the pool.......and plugging it in......... (our unit is a "Compu-Pool Salt Water Chlorinator ")

WE THEN had to pour 600 lbs of salt into the pool. (25,000. gallon pool) That was it........never put anything into the pool since then and it has been 2 years.............

.....the water is always clear......the tests using a dip strip are fine and according to everyone that uses the pool they love the feel of the water. The amount of salt that you taste is about what one of your tear drops would taste like.........

The ONLY reason I am hesitant to put one in the DR is the power ........ since I am not sure what the effect of the "ups and downs" in voltage would do to the unit..........if anything...........

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

how much does a 600lb salt shaker cost out of interest and how often does it need to run the pump (the same as the other type of pools ?)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

At the house in Atlanta we have one too. Best thing in the world! Highly recommended. I think last year we actually had to put some salt in finally, 10 bucks! All winter we run the filter for about 4 hours in the afternoon (on a timer). During the summer we shut it down between 10pm and 6am. Otherwise it needs to be on. If you have a large group of people we will "shock" it over night, but that's just a simple switch on the unit that concentrates the salt in the water and that's it. Has paid for itself already.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one here at the house in the U.S. and love it. The water is much better for your skin and hair.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

interesting replies - i have a private reply about where you can get clean salt in large quantities in dr if anyone has the answer

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Are these available in the DR?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

ooops - I meant I have a private message ASKING where you can get large quantities of salt

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmiller261 View Post
    Are these available in the DR?
    Several pool supply stores and ferreterias in the Sosua area have them. - D

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POP Bad Boy View Post
    The ONLY reason I am hesitant to put one in the DR is the power ........ since I am not sure what the effect of the "ups and downs" in voltage would do to the unit..........if anything...........
    Good point. It should probably be used with a voltage protector. - D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast