pool salt/chlorine generating operation

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
anyone got any views on this idea mentioned in another thread - has anyone had one and not liked it - whats the cost? any information gratefully accepted

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We have one..........

.........but it is on our pool in the US. We still use chlorine here in Puerto Plata...............but yes, it works fine................

We bought a unit on one of the discount websites that was reduced from 1400. to $600US at one point. We installed it ourselves and basically it only involved cutting the pipe and putting this unit in between the two pieces of pipe that return the water to the pool.......and plugging it in......... (our unit is a "Compu-Pool Salt Water Chlorinator ")

WE THEN had to pour 600 lbs of salt into the pool. (25,000. gallon pool) That was it........never put anything into the pool since then and it has been 2 years.............

.....the water is always clear......the tests using a dip strip are fine and according to everyone that uses the pool they love the feel of the water. The amount of salt that you taste is about what one of your tear drops would taste like.........

The ONLY reason I am hesitant to put one in the DR is the power ........ since I am not sure what the effect of the "ups and downs" in voltage would do to the unit..........if anything...........

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
how much does a 600lb salt shaker cost out of interest and how often does it need to run the pump (the same as the other type of pools ?)

Reactions: FernieBee

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
At the house in Atlanta we have one too. Best thing in the world! Highly recommended. I think last year we actually had to put some salt in finally, 10 bucks! All winter we run the filter for about 4 hours in the afternoon (on a timer). During the summer we shut it down between 10pm and 6am. Otherwise it needs to be on. If you have a large group of people we will "shock" it over night, but that's just a simple switch on the unit that concentrates the salt in the water and that's it. Has paid for itself already.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I have one here at the house in the U.S. and love it. The water is much better for your skin and hair.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
interesting replies - i have a private reply about where you can get clean salt in large quantities in dr if anyone has the answer

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ooops - I meant I have a private message ASKING where you can get large quantities of salt

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
The ONLY reason I am hesitant to put one in the DR is the power ........ since I am not sure what the effect of the "ups and downs" in voltage would do to the unit..........if anything...........

Good point. It should probably be used with a voltage protector. - D

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
is it basically an add on part and it can be converted back to a normal operation if required or are you stuck with it once installed

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
is it basically an add on part and it can be converted back to a normal operation if required or are you stuck with it once installed

It's an add on module. Once you start using this system though you'll laugh at those that are still using chemicals. There really is that big of a difference.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
we have a salt system in puerto plata and have gone back to chlorine. with the salt it was a constant battle to keep the pool clear. not sure if we just couldn't find the right pool guy or what but i am much happier with chlorine. i had two separte dominicans tell me that there always seems to be problems with the salt systems here.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
NOT having one here............

i had two separte dominicans tell me that there always seems to be problems with the salt systems here.

........but from the knowledge of using the one we have in the US, I would think that there is some other problem causing the water not to be clear........

..........After 15 years of living here...........I would have checked with lets say a "foreigner"..............

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe they didnt know what they were doing lol- I wonder how many salt water pools there are here-

good to get a different opinion though-

so far we have two for one against and one wavering....we need a poll

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I still remember..............

maybe they didnt know what they were doing lol- I wonder how many salt water pools there are here-

good to get a different opinion though-

so far we have two for one against and one wavering....we need a poll

........one of the first times we needed a plumber (before we had our own people) for a toilet problem.............

............he said "I think I fixed it, but I'm not sure, cause I don't have one at home and don't know how it works....."

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
we have a salt system in puerto plata and have gone back to chlorine. with the salt it was a constant battle to keep the pool clear. not sure if we just couldn't find the right pool guy or what but i am much happier with chlorine. i had two separte dominicans tell me that there always seems to be problems with the salt systems here.

Even if you have a salt system you MUST check the PH of the water. We had to adjust the salt content of the water during the course of the first summer until we found the right combination. The system is not completely maintenance free, but it is forgiving.

I think you just had the wrong people working on your system. $20 a summer in salt is all that we spend on the 27,000 gallon in ground pool.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
I agree, you must keep looking PH and clean regularly that salt machine, but result is the best one, we would not change it back to cloro.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
voltage?

An earlier poster mentioned the unreliable electrical current. Could this be causing a problem?

Everyone I know using this system lives in the states, and they LOVE it. But have we heard from satisfied users in the DR? - D