Boca Chica

D

Doug

Hi : i am new to this board but not to the D.R. i have been there very many times,but i am learning things each and every time i go. One thing I dont (one of the many things,ishould say) know is what are the prices of hotels right in the interior away from any resort areas also the price of a beer as i find everything is somewhat relative to the price of a beer. I know this sounds stupid but i find it works(ie: beer in the caymans cost about 5 dollars and the hotels are about two and a half times as expensive as in the D.R.)As in feb i am planning a trip just me an my wife (on a motorcycle) into the interior for about 3 days. any help would be appreciated. Thank You: Doug

T

Tom

Re: Boca Chica or ???

Are you trying to find info on the interior or Boca Chica as your subject title suggests?

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Boca Chica *PIC*

See www.BocaChicaBeach.net.

In Boca Chica, rooms suitable for a tourist go for as low as US$10 and most cost US$30-40. Prices vary by season (December-April is high season). Expect a small savings in the interior over these prices, but you will not find many hotels in the rural interior.

Price of a beer depends on where you are. For example, I found the average price of a beer in the Cayman Islands to be closer to US$7 ($4 at the local disco, US$10 at our hotel - see http://jimhinsch.bizland.com/cayman_islands/index.html). A beer in the DR will generally run US$1-2.

The hotels in the Cayman Islands are about 3-4 times the cost of the DR. For example, the rack rate for the Westin, beach front room on Grand Cayman in the off season goes for US$650/night with dinner and drinks for two while an equivalent hotel in the DR would run about US$150-200/night.

D

DR1

Re: beer

A 22-oz bottle of Presidente beer sells for RD$20. That is less than US$1.25. You could probably find hotels in small towns away from resort areas that would go for RD$300 a night, but you wont be getting much more than a bed and bath. These hotels are primarily used by traveling salesmen and are known as "dormitorios".

P

Phyllis

Small hotel in Boca Chica

I've stayed at Casa Coco and was very satisified! Clean, large room with a bed, dresser, large closet, ceiling fan and large bathroom - 400 pesos / night for two adults. Nice quiet place with a pool, small bar and restaurant on the premises with excellent food! Only 2 minute walk to the beach. I would recommend this over expensive resort living any day!