Swollen ankles/ feet?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
My friend who is visiting from the UK at the moment always experiences swollen ankles and feet when she comes to the DR which is on a fairly regular basis. Does anyone else get this problem and have you found a solution?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
it can be a number of things but typically it is from any combination of the following:

the airplane
the food
the sun/hot weather
the salt from seasonings
drinking too much alcohol
dehydration

i get that sometimes & it usually starts on the plane & goes away after i get home.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Assuming it isn't DVT (which would need medical opinion), advise your friend to avoid alcohol on flight, drink plenty of water, get up and move every hour, whilst in her seat do ankle press-ups back & forth & round in circles, avoid the salty snacks, if she can find 2/3 empty seats together, lift up arm rests and lie down. Even 2 seats as long as she can elevate her feet.
How to Avoid Getting Bloated on a Long Flight | eHow.com

As someone with hip arthritis I have to keep on the move during flight, otherwise I'd be unable to walk at the other end. I often volunteer for galley duty (emptying meal trays etc). Flight attendant crew on a UK charter have a lot to do & usually welcome the help. And it means I can stand, stretch, pirouette etc etc ;).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i admire all people who go into the trouble of exercising on a plane. i have motion sickness so i down my pills and immediately fall into coma that last throughout the flight. sometimes i don't even move to pee....

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Make sure you wear comfortable shoes; if sneakers lace them loosely. Elevate if not on the plane shortly thereafter to alleviate the swelling. And all of the above posts - for me especially nothing salty or alcohol.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks everyone for all the info, hints and tips. Perhaps I should have said also that the problem does not develop until she has been here a couple of days so, in your opinion, would that still be due to the 9.5 hour flight? She assures me that she never drinks alcohol whilst flying btw!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can it be because of the heat? tell her to buy a pair of comfy havaianas and wear them while in DR. don't walk out in the sun too much, take cool showers.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have had this problem and have found that it goes away after drinking lots and lots of water and taking salt. The rule that I follow is half one's body weight in ounces over 23 hours and 1/4 teaspoon of salt for each quart of water. The swelling goes down in two days. We don't realize how much water one needs here and many are not accostomed to eating salt.... Also when we have any sort of edema, we tend to cut back on water, which makes it worse. Try and see if it works. It has for me.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
place feet on the headrest on either side of the person in the seat in front when flying lol

it could be a number of things - dehydration,bad circulation,pregnancy to heart problems
it may be something minor or something serious

Reactions: Lapurr

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Here's a thought....
concrete floors?
I know when I first came to this country my feet hurt real bad, ankles throbbed.
After realizing it was because I was constently walking on concrete, I bought myself a nice comfy pair of house slippers and the problem went away.
Just a thought.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Well, although we are really no wiser as to the cause, Joy put on her flight socks early yesterday evening and kept on overnight and there was a vast improvement this morning - virtually back to normal.... During today, and it has definitely not been hot weather here, they are starting to show sign of swelling again.

No previous history of anything illness related.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Who's doing the cooking or are you eating out a lot? I find most Dominican food to be very salty.

I also find that when on vacation one doesn't have as much time to put ones feet up. Is she drinking lots of water?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Who's doing the cooking or are you eating out a lot? I find most Dominican food to be very salty.

I also find that when on vacation one doesn't have as much time to put ones feet up. Is she drinking lots of water?

I am cooking mostly here at home so normal food for us. Not rushing around a lot and adequate amount of water.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Does she spend any length of time sitting without her feet touching the floor viz. feet (& legs :cheeky:) in downward direction but not quite resting on the floor?

No, not really. She is much taller than me so doesn't have that problem!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would suggest again that she really is not getting adequate water. Try really drinking a half a gallon of water for each of two days --this requires a substantial effort, not just the quiet sipping- and any caffeine drinks, or alcohol drinks taken subtract from that -i.e. you need to add a glass of water for each cup of coffee, or coke, or beer, etc. And, of course, you won't be going far from the available facilities..... I have had this condition more than once, i have tried this cure more than once, and assure you that it works. Half your weight in ounces, 1/4 teaspoon of salt per quart. It is something about one's body just hoarding water, signaling that one isn't getting enough. I told my doc back in the States about this and she said "well that is just the opposite of what we would tell you to do" but then the States medical system is ranked about 32nd in the world (most expensive though!).. Anyway, do give it a try--

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
i have had the same problem in the past. it seems to have subsided the longer i am coming here. But i did try the salt thing and it worked! lots of water and salt on the tongue. I have also gone to the pharmacy for diaretics when it has gotten really bad.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Back in 2001, I was having the same problem. I took 2 trips that year (aruba, jamaica) and within a few days of arrival my ankles swelled up. When I got back to the states from the last trip I took my "cankles" to the ER, and was given a diretic (sp?) and told to drink alot of fluids w/ electrolites (gatorade,pedialite). The Dr. said there was an imbalance of salt and water in my body. Anyways by the next day the swelling was completly gone, and I haven't had any problems since.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks, everyone, for your help. As Shirley said, I have been wearing my flight socks overnight and it has helped. When I return in the Summer I'll certainly try the salt and more water suggestions. I'll not have this problem when I return home to Scotland in 2 days time as it is snowing and extremely cold! Muchas gracias! Joy