is beer expensive here???

madera

Jan 30, 2009
looking for insight into members firsyhand knowledge of prices from around the world... i think the beer here is high... high priced and of course good... not like el salvadore. i actually stopped drinking the beer . terrible in my opinion. it was cheap. but not to my taste at all.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
a pint of lager would cost you around R$150 in a bar in many parts of the uk if that helps

madera

Jan 30, 2009
well im glad we left that place. im talking buying a bottle takin it home and drinkin it. not pub prices. do they have beer for home use. or only pub consumption??

madera

Jan 30, 2009
sorry a paint in a good joint will cost 5$us domestic and 6$imported. sitting in a pub. tap beer the cheapest form...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Brahma is about as cheap as it gets in DR, look for the specials like 3 x $100 RD for large bottles. cant beat that! :)

We had it at 30 for a while but they raised it to 35 (3 x 100) Small ones you can still get for 20 ea. Great Beer compared to Presidente. More and more Dominicans are switching to Brahma. (Especialy light) As for me, switched over a couple of years back. I hope everyone goes Brahma and forces Presidente "Greedy Pr*cks" to lower their prices.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
large presidente is 60-65 pesos...under 2 bucks US.... they have to give brahma away because it tastes like mule p**s. as for the dominicans swithching to brahma they only do it because they can't afford presidente, like most of the expats that live here...I've drank beer from over 70 different countries and presidente can't be beat, unless you take a guiness once in a while

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
large presidente is 60-65 pesos...under 2 bucks US.... they have to give brahma away because it tastes like mule p**s. as for the dominicans swithching to brahma they only do it because they can't afford presidente, like most of the expats that live here...I've drank beer from over 70 different countries and presidente can't be beat, unless you take a guiness once in a while

Everyone to their own tastes. Boemia tastes better to me than Presidente, but I'll drink either. A single Brahma is OK. I was paying last September 55-65 pesos for a large Boemia or presidente in the Colmados.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Bob I agree, Bohemia has a pretty good taste to it, but the problem for me is if I drink more than one I get this gawd awful head ache....

Mccoolhill

Jun 11, 2007
The price is even worse than England here in Norway. A pint of lager at the pub is 310 peso and at the shop 110.... Communist country I say.....
Brahma beer is for people like me who likes sourish beer :glasses:

Mar 2, 2008
The only beer that isn't passable is no beer.

Some would prefer Duffs, and some demand Stella, but at the end of the day (or night), any brew will do.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ode to Eddy

Eddy is wise
Far beyond his age
He has taste buds that
are too good to disguise.

He knows his beer
from far and near, so
Here, here for Eddy dear!!

You are de guy
Always wry
With humor for boomers
and scooners and
even mooners...

Eddy, you know beer,
Have I been clear?
I know you know
beer beer beer...

From another Brahma lover (not a Presidente hater, however)

HB (he!!, I just like beer)

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
.......presidente can't be beat, unless you take a guiness once in a while

Hammerdown. I can't agree more. Presidente is a quality made beer the world over. I am curious if you think Presidente Light comes close to the original?

I would also like to know if anyone has noticed most places beginning to only carry Presidente Light because the general public has made the shift to Light?

I think Presidente Light is awful.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Damn

they have to give brahma away because it tastes like mule p**s.

never drank mule p**s before....yuck! LOL
I'm like HB, I'm not a presidente hater either just love beer :)
Personally, I liken the bitterness of a Brahma to that of a Sam Adams, just not as heavy....taste very similar....hey i like it
for 3 x 100 pesos how can I go wrong? :bunny:

J

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Heh heh, they hit you up with gringo prices, bob.. Brahma has been 3 grandes for 100 pesos for a looooong time..

Note I was buying Boemia and presidente NOT Brahma. I don't get charged Gringo prices at either of the Colmados in Jarabacoa because they know they would hear it from my wife or mother-in-law, plus they are family friends anyways.