dominican bank high interest cd's

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
can someone shed some light for me on the high interest cd's in the dr. my friend says he is getting 16% on a one year cd. i have a hard time believing this can be a guaranteed contract. one year cd's here in the states are paying 2-3% range. are these dominican bank contracts more like bonds? and is the principle and interest guaranteed or can you lose $$$. any info will be appreciated. t

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it depends if you are keeping the money as pesos and spending it here - probably not such a good idea if you are going to change it to another currency because you would be converting it twice -----errrrr I think

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
can someone shed some light for me on the high interest cd's in the dr. my friend says he is getting 16% on a one year cd. i have a hard time believing this can be a guaranteed contract. one year cd's here in the states are paying 2-3% range. are these dominican bank contracts more like bonds? and is the principle and interest guaranteed or can you lose $$$. any info will be appreciated. t
Have started to shop around a little"
Banco Popular: 8 to 9%
Banco del Progresso 12% (Less than 5 Million) for 30 days 13% for 5M+
Longer terms = lower interest.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bhd - 13%

We renewed a CD at BHD in October '08 for 13+%. That was the rate for a peso account - dollar accounts are SUBSTANTIALLY lower.