UPS and Duties Problems

Aug 21, 2007
I am having an ongoing problem with UPS and customs. Hope someone here has some insight, advice, or can drop the name of someone to help me through this tunnel. Sorry this is so long. Please bear with me.

When I was back in the US in November, I had an eye exam. The doc determined that I needed stronger lenses in my glasses. The glasses with new lenses were not ready by the time I returned here, so they UPS'ed them in mid December.

I was able to track their trip here until they reached Santiago. Then, an "exception" occurred which was labeled as "unable to resolve." A few days later, I received a call from a broker used by UPS. He said that I owed
10,500 pesos in duties. I assume this was determined because the doctor's office put the value of the glasses at $600 USD, even though they were my glasses and they only replaced the lenses.

I told the broker that those duties were not reasonable and asked what my alternative was. He said I should refuse the shipment and they would send it back. Knowing that my husband was coming for Christmas and he could bring them, I said okay.

A week or so later, the eye doctor called, asked why I refused the glasses and said the broker told them that they had to pay the 10,500 in duties to have them returned!

In the meantime, I returned to the U.S. and my glasses were here, stuck in customs. Now, I am back again in the DR. I have been talking by phone with the eye doctor 3 times a week. They have been communication with UPS International, who now say that the glasses will be tagged as unclaimed goods and auctioned off!

We all know that I could have gotten a completely new pair of glasses here for a fraction of the cost of what they want to charge me in duties. And they certainly don't charge other tourists duties on their glasses when they come through the airport.

I guess I need to talk with someone face to face in Santiago. Is it UPS? Is it Customs? Is it the broker? To whom do I speak? What is my recourse?

Please, I hope someone can set me on the right path.

Thanks-
Lindsey

Nov 25, 2008
customs is in the airport Santiago, you will do nothing talking to UPS because Customs sets the $$, talk in person, and don't wear any flashy jewelry when you go, be nice and simple, and go with someone who speaks fluent spanish

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for the info, jorgesarduysosua.

Do I go inside the airport? Is there someone special to speak with? If I had a name, it might help.

Lindsey

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It will do you no good to talk to anyone. I had a very similar situation develop some time ago. The people that sent me someting worth maybe 150 bucks put the full replacement value on it (1086$ !!!!) and Customs wanted 24000 in taxes...I told them no way, showed them what they were dealing with, they recalculated and still came up way too much.
I told them to forget it.

Had the clients ship me some more valued at 100 and nothing happened.

they made the mistake they pay.

If I were YOU, I'd not pay or cancel payment to the idiot doctor (this is all because they think that things like shippers do not work anyplace except the US) and take your prescription to Optica Cibao on Av Metropolitana and bingo...done...

You will not, ever, get any satisfaction from Customs...sorry..

HB

Aug 21, 2007
It will do you no good to talk to anyone. I had a very similar situation develop some time ago. The people that sent me someting worth maybe 150 bucks put the full replacement value on it (1086$ !!!!) and Customs wanted 24000 in taxes...I told them no way, showed them what they were dealing with, they recalculated and still came up way too much.
I told them to forget it.

Had the clients ship me some more valued at 100 and nothing happened.

they made the mistake they pay.

If I were YOU, I'd not pay or cancel payment to the idiot doctor (this is all because they think that things like shippers do not work anyplace except the US) and take your prescription to Optica Cibao on Av Metropolitana and bingo...done...

You will not, ever, get any satisfaction from Customs...sorry..

HB

Yes, this is what I am afraid of. The doctor was paid way back in November, so this is just a pain in the neck to him.

Unfortunately, most of the cost of the lenses was covered by vision insurance. Now, I won't qualify for new lenses for a couple of years.

Just another lesson life lesson in the DR.

Lindsey

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lindsey: I was not sure as to the location, now, of the glasses. IF they are in the states, I am sure that you can get them, at least you would be dealing with reasonable people there...even if they are going to auction them off you would pay pennies for them.

But deal with those people, I am fairlysure something can be done...not here, but there, yes.

HB

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I would;

A. Buy them at the auction at a fraction

if not

B. Laser eye surgery:bunny:.

Aug 21, 2007
Actually, I don't really know where the glasses are at this point! I reread the information forwarded on to me Friday afternoon from the eye doctor's office. This was sent from the UPS international Shipment Resolution Group. It says:

..."please telephone me between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:30 pm eastern time Monday through Friday in order to make arangements for the delivery, return, or abandonment of this shipment."

I infer that perhaps the glasses are still here in the DR somewhere since it says "delivery, return, or abandonment."

Although the letter was sent to the eye doctor, perhaps I will attempt to call them tomorrow for further information.

And, if here, can I assume they are with customs at the Santiago Airport?

Ms. Almonte

Jul 3, 2007
Maybe I can help!

I work for UPS here in the US. If you have the tracking number I can possibly get more answers for you. Let me know.

Aug 21, 2007
I called the UPS International Resolution office this morning and spoke to them. They said their hands area tied, that taxes and duties are set by the country. They said that whether the goods are refused and sent back or accepted, either way, taxes and duties must be paid.

I then called the UPS customer service in Santiago. They instructed how to pay the duties (at Banco Popular) and forward the deposit receipt. They said that once that is done, within 2 days they will deliver my glasses.

So.....after reading Hillbilly's posting that I would get nowhere speaking directly to customs, I bit the bullet and paid the duties.

I know that I could have gotten new glasses here for less, but darnit, I LIKE these glasses!

So- I am chalking it up for another lesson learned here in the DR.

Thanks, everyone for your support and wisdom.

And, Moderator, I think you can now close this thread.

Lindsey