REMAX SOSUA & BOMMARRITO

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

I was recently dealing with Remax Sosua and his owner Bommarito. On the last chat with DR1, people were saying
nasty things about this company and his owner. What should I
know in dealing with REMAX SOSUA.

Thank you

T

Tom

Thats odd Bill, I was in that chat and don't recall seeing you or your HOTMAIL address.

Could you have been "Tootie" or "greenaacres?"

B

Bill

I was not on your chat that day. I read the chat today by the posting of DR1. And I am not the people you named.

T

Tom

Bill

Then I trust you gathered from the logs that there was ONE (1) hysterical person in there that made the supposition you adhered to. I simply question why you take the rantings of one bias person over the "opinions" of many?

Tom

D

Dave

Hi Tom, DR1, and others who were in the chat room on Sunday night.

I was definetely in the "chat" Sunday and stated I was going to have a few things checked out on the allegations being launched. I had an individual speak with reps at R.E. Max this week, and these reps stated that "they" have free title on the one piece of property in question (Sunday night) and there is no legal issues current or pending in the court. They stated that if if someone came forward to purchase the property "tomorrow" it could be sold without encumbrances.

Just one more piece in the "saga"..........

Best, Dave (DMS)

D

DR1

Here we go!

Unless someone has some hard facts, can we refrain from hearsay, rumor, guy I met in a bar stuff.
Remax are one of the largest on the North Coast and have served hundreds if not thousands of happy customers over the years. They didn't get this big by being bad or dishonest at what they do.

As I said, if you don't have hard facts, don't waste you time posting, it will get deleted.

DR1 has no affiliation or derives any income from ReMax, I just get sick of these un-substantiated rumors!

Happy Thanksgiving :)

T

Tom

Re: Here we go!

It certainly exlains whey these people do not prevail in Court, whining and hearsay make little impact on a JUDGE OR jURY.

btw, Rob I heard from a friend of mine that had been in the DR once (Well, Puerto Rico anyhow, but close enough) that you (Or someone that looked like you and was named Rob or Rod) drove your vehicle (Or one like it) while drinking a beer (well it could have been a Soda Pop or juice, but it was a bottle and this person who may look like you was "guilty", no need for a trial)so I believe it should be known you are a Drunken driver :)

K

Karina

TO: BILL and DR1: These ARE NOT un-substantiated rumors.

I?m a lawyer representing many complaints against Mr. Bommarito and its actual or previous lawyer and representative Mr. Fabio Guzman.
One of the cases is about a complaint against Mr. Fabio Guzman and Mr. Bommarito still pending investigation at Dominican criminal courts for ?estafa? (fraud, swindle?), document falsification and others criminal charges.
It?s related to the sale of land at ?TERRAMAR ESTATES? by Mr. Bommarito and/or Re/max North Coast office even when a legal ?opposition to sale? was on that land. (Opposition due to a litigation at the Land Court)
The opposition for sale was illegally retired of the Land Register using a document where the signature of one of my client previous lawyers was falsified. This document was notarized by one of Mr. Fabio Guzman associates at his firm. (my clients previous lawyer declared he never signed that document and he?s suing them too.)
Mr. Guzman defense is that he had no knowledge of these actions, and, ok, being na?ve, let?s assume it is true, but he has been Mr. Bommarito on and of lawyer for many years, and also if the senior lawyer of a firm is not responsible for the actions of his associates working full time at his office, who is responsible?

Unbelievably, Mr. Bommarito and Re/max North Coast are still offering these properties for sale on their website (check the link below) and they are not telling their clients there is a judicial litigation pending about its ownership, and they are not advising them that any buyer could lose its investment if the courts judge against them.
EVEN IF THESE ALLEGATIONS ARE NOT TRUE, they shouldn?t let their clients be unaware of them.
I don?t know about you, but I think THEY SHOULDN?T BE OFFERING FOR SALE LAND THAT IS PART OF A JUDICIAL LITIGATION AND THEY ARE DOING IT. !! (We are trying to stop them but it's hard to legally force them to close a website).

VERY IMPORTANT! : I believe that the principle ?presumption of innocence? is one of the pillars of any legal system, so I want to make clear that these are complaints part of litigations still pending at court.

but AS THIS IS MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and not some ?hearsay, rumor, guy I met in a bar stuff?, I think I?m right letting you know this situation exist AT THIS MOMENT. so BE CAREFUL when dealing with them.

If you want to check by yourself go to Dominican courts (especially at Juzgado de Instrucci?n Septima Circunscripcion at the city of Santiago, and at the Land Register and Land Tribunal ?Registro de Titulos? and ?Tribunal de Tierras? of Puerto Plata) and check the files by yourself.
They are public documents (not some parts of the criminal investigation) and can be check by anyone interested, so you can have your own opinion. I will even go with any of you to court and show you these documents myself!! (AND I?M NOT JOKING.)
This is only a small part of an unbelievable saga of fraud, falsification an other deals that could be part of any bad mafia movie.
SOME ADVICE: Have your documents check by another lawyer, go to the Land Register BY YOURSELF (use a translator if needed) and check the Register Book and the file of the land you bought, if there's nothing wrong you only lost a few hours of your time.

And if you know of anyone that bought land at TERRAMAR ESTATES, or have other complaints against Mr. Bommarito, please let them know about this situation and have them contact me.

Message VERY RESPONSIBLE posted by

DRA. KARINA DE LA OZ.

F

Fabio J. Guzman

This is getting surreal.

First a lady I have never met, in a case I was not involved in (Mr. Bommarito?s attorney vs. her was Dr. Rafael Merette in Sos?a), who apparently ran out of the country because of a defamation suit vs. her, says I am responsible for her misfortunes.

Now, a Dominican attorney, who happens to represent Mr. G?mez, Mr. Bommarito?s partner in a subdivision project currently in litigation, says I?m responsible for a forgery! In this litigation, being a good friend both of Mr. G?mez and Mr. Bommarito, I refused to represent either party. The notary now accused by Dr. Karina de la Oz of being an accessory to the fraud, who of course also refused to be part of the litigation between G?mez and Bommarito, is my nephew Dr. Julio Brea Guzm?n, Mr. G?mez?s son?s best friend! Or at least, ex-best friend. Ms. De la Oz also neglects to mention that the main accusation for the forgery was filed by her client against their own lawyer, Mr. Benoit! It?s getting complicated, isn?t it? That?s why litigation is reserved for the courts and not for message boards and chats.

L

Lyse

" That's why litigation is reserved for the courts and not for the message boards and chats". Yes Sir, as an attorney myself,I find your respond very well said.

C

CES

> > > "This is getting surreal." < < <

Once again a message board imitates "real life" (that's the place were we all live and will eventually return too at the end of the day, after all is said and done).

In the news gathering and dissemination business, law enforcement including the deliberative system (courts), and our lives, etc. etc. it seems there are always THREE stories to be reconciled:

1) What she said. 2) What he said. 3) The * truth *, as best as we can determine.

Let me add this, least one of our good readers takes offense, in the above three cases we can substitute the following: he, she, they, it, somebody, I think I saw, their (her, his, it's, etc., etc.) lips move, and the ever popular "whatever".

Regards,

. . . CES

ps. . . Susanne, Andy, & Tom, because of your particular skills, - - - [Natasha, and Dr. ECH }Welcome back!{ (because I was naming names), and all the regulars, not wanting to leave any one out] - - - help me out here. . .

K

Karina

FIRST, I answered Bill's questioning on information about Mr. Bommarito (as I?ve done before at this message board) ONLY because I have direct knowledge of the matter at hand. If not, I just read the messages.

SECOND, I find very sad that you make fun of a lady that TRUSTED some people and because she DEFENDED HER RIGHTS in court was contra-sued and saw herself forced to leave the country, being a foreigner and not knowing the system she was easily intimidated and choose to leave. I can assure you, that won?t happen in this case. I do not get easily intimidated.

THIRD: If Mr. Brea Guzman is now my Client's ex-friend it is since the moment he notarized documents involved in fraudulent real estates transactions, clearly against his "friend" best interest.
And Finally,
THE FACTS ARE:
1) There?s a litigation involving TERRAMAR ESTATES at the Land Court of Puerto Plata. (anyone buying there is in trouble).
2) Mr. Bommarito and/or Re/max North Coast keep offering AND SELLING (illegally) this property without advising the buyer of the litigation.
3) As a result, there is a CRIMINAL COMPLAINT against Mr. Guzman and Mr. Bommarito at the Santiago Criminal Court.
4) THERE ARE DOZENS OF OTHERS COMPLAINTS AT COURT AGAINST MR. BOMMARITO, (I could post the case?s numbers and Courts but I?m not at my office right now) and in some ways or another YOU or YOUR OFFICE are involved if not as lawyers, as share holders in Mr. Bommarito's "legal" companies. (What?s the word for ?testaferro? in English?? I?m sure you know it).
5) Do not believe my word or his, if you are at the DR CHECK THE DOCUMENTS AT COURT. Again, I'll go with anyone there anytime.

Yes, I also think this kind of matters are to be deal at court, and it is at that forum where justice will be finally done against Mr. Bommarito and his partners.
See you there.

J

joohnny

i would say run, don't wALK away from any dealings with Bomaritto. His reputation in Sosua is terrible.

F

Fabio J. Guzman

G?mez vs. Bommarito: A Summary

When I accepted DR1's kind request to be the guest at their Sunday chat on Dominican law, I never imagined that I would end up discussing personal matters on this message board. However, the accusations and half-truths posted above have called into question my reputation and that of my firm and therefore leave me no choice but to set the record straight. Our firm?s record for more than seventy-three years of practice has been good enough to make us one of the most respectable law firms in the country. We will not tolerate a blemish on that record. Bear with me as I try to summarize the facts of the case.

Background

Karina?s client is Luigi G?mez (?G?mez Jr.?), son of Luis Jos? G?mez (?G?mez Sr.?). G?mez Sr. and John Bommarito are the main shareholders of Desarrollo Terramar , S.A. (?Terramar?), a Dominican company formed in 1986 which owns a large subdivision in Sos?a. Bommarito controls at this time more than 50% of the equity of Terramar, G?mez Sr., approximately 40%. I used to control a small equity position in the company (about 10%) but I sold my shares three years ago. For more than ten years I acted as the buffer between my two good friends, G?mez Sr. and Bommarito, whenever differences arose regarding the management of the project. In 1997, litigation started in earnest between them and I stepped aside: I refused to take either party as a client in the litigation, I sold my shares in the company and I resigned as the corporate secretary. The litigation encompasses countless civil, criminal and land court complaints, of each party against the other. Bommarito, for example, has filed a criminal complaint against the G?mez for holding an illegal assembly of the company; the G?mez have fired back with criminal complaints even against Bommarito?s daughter, who substituted me for a time as corporate secretary, for not delivering minutes of a company meeting on time. Until mid-1999, lawyers for both parties used me as a conduit for proposals and counter proposals for a negotiated settlement. I believe Karina de la Oz even visited my home in Santiago with other lawyers for both parties.

G?mez Jr. came into the picture around 1996 when his father brought him into the project as a day-to-day manager. As mentioned in my former post, he was very close to my nephew, Julio Brea Guzm?n, who works with me from our Sos?a office. In fact, we represented G?mez Jr. for free in several legal matters, including a suit or negotiation against a former employer, for which he gave us a very grateful plaque thanking us for our assistance. G?mez Jr., of course, was not originally a shareholder in Terramar. He never had a steady job and was always looking for ways to get ahead in his life. His father, however, gave him some token shares ( five or ten) in the company as an incentive. When the fighting between G?mez Sr. and Bommarito began in 1997, it was G?mez Jr. who showed up, for tactical reasons, as the plaintiff in the Land Court litigation and placed a lien on the Terramar property. G?mez Sr. is a person with assets and would have to think twice before filing frivolous suits for fear of a successful countersuit, specially in a case in which the bylaws of Terramar expressly state that a shareholder cannot place a lien on company property for differences arising with other shareholders. G?mez Jr., being a person of little wealth, has no such restraint.

?The Case?

In the summer of 1999, a German client of ours and long-term resident in the D.R. came to our office asking for assistance in the purchase of a lot in Terramar. She was looked after by one our associates, Milagros de la Cruz, who knowing of the situation in the subdivision contacted Bommarito and asked him about the G?mez Jr. lien. Bommarito told her that his lawyers had informed him that the lien was in the process of being lifted. In effect, a week or two later Milagros was handed a lien release, a title search was done and certification obtained from the Registrar of Titles in Puerto Plata attesting to the fact that there was no lien on the property, and the sale closed. Since Milagros is not a notary, my nephew, Julio Brea Guzm?n, authenticated the signatures of Bommarito and the buyer in the deed of sale. And that was that: a simple transaction for which we collected the grand sum of $500 in total fees and our client obtained a clean title on a small lot in Terramar.

Sometime later, however, we learned that G?mez Jr. had filed a criminal complaint against his own lead attorney for lifting the lien without his permission or for ?forging? the signature of another lawyer, a cousin of the first, who was the attorney of record in the case. Why would G?mez Jr. own attorney do such a thing? We can only speculate. However, it is a known fact that in early 1999, Bommarito and the G?mez came very close to a general settlement of their differences. After a meeting with G?mez Sr. and Bommarito in my office in December 1998, I drafted an initial settlement agreement based on the division between them of the Terramar properties. This proposal was discussed and amended over several months by their respective lawyers and a definite settlement seemed imminent. Negotiations failed at the last minute, however, because, in the opinion of the G?mez ex-lead attorney, new lawyers brought into the case (including Karina) wanted to restart everything from scratch. The lead attorney, who had been working the case on a contingence basis for three years without receiving a penny, apparently told his clients that he would stop work on the case and lifted the lien.

Feeling frustrated and betrayed by the turn of events in the unpredictable game of litigation, G?mez Jr. decided to go after the umpire, yours truly. In the complaint filed against his ex-lead attorney, he accused me, without a shred of evidence, of masterminding the whole scheme in order to close on the purchase by my German client. Bommarito was also included in the complaint as an accessory. The notary, Julio Brea, G?mez Jr.?s ex-best friend, was also brought into the situation for committing the high crime of authenticating the signatures of Bommarito and the German buyer who signed the deed of sale in his presence. It is to be expected that the complaints against us will be thrown out soon by the investigating judge (?Juez de Instrucci?n?). Who in his right mind would conceive the notion that our firm, for a $500 fee, would become an accessory to forgery or whatever? Had our goal been to make money, we could have accepted the representation of Bommarito against the G?mez and earned extremely high fees instead of staying out of the fray and trying to have them come to an agreement. In the meantime, we have sued G?mez Jr. back for significant damages for filing a frivolous complaint, as have Bommarito and his daughter for a former complaint that has already been thrown out of court. Karina?s postings on this board will come in handy to buttress these suits.

For the unitiated in the peculiarities of Dominican criminal law, it should be pointed out that under the current system, anybody can be dragged into the chambers of an investigating judge for the most meritless of complaints. The accuser will therefore have a window of opportunity, while the judge with his usual backlog of cases gets to the point of rejecting the complaint, to shout from the rooftops: ?There is a CRIMINAL COMPLAINT against Mr. Guzman and Mr. Bommarito at the Santiago Criminal Court.? In fact, there is no criminal court in charge of the case. A judge is investigating whether to send it to court or not. Of course, meanwhile, the damage to the reputation of the ?accused? has been done. (By the way, Karina, you should know better than to tell people to check the documents for themselves: the investigation of the ?Juez de Instrucci?n? is secret by law, precisely to prevent the kind of posturing you are doing; nobody can have access to those documents.)

Final Thoughts

Being an umpire is not always an easy job. You usually get it from both sides. I remember a story once about a referee in Peru who was almost killed by both teams in a soccer game and had to be rescued at the last minute by the police. Bommarito has never forgiven me for not taking the case vs. the G?mez. The G?mez never believed that I was not on Bommarito?s side. G?mez Sr., apparently very sick, does not deserve to live his old age from courtroom to courtroom. Bommarito, one of the hardest-working person I have ever met, should concentrate not in destroying his adversaries but in further enlarging his business empire in the Sos?a area. (Besides a Remax realtor, Bommarito who has been living in the D.R. since 1984, is a developer, a builder, and owns car rental agencies, a tennis club, restaurants, etc.) When and if Bommarito and the G?mez decide that they have had enough, I?ll be there for both of them. But, please, don?t shoot the piano player.

C

CES

Re: . . . (Lic. Fabio J. Guzm?n)

>>> "But, please, don?t shoot the piano player." <<< (excellent choice)

Hola Se?or,

May I say that your years at university in the USA were will spent, as shown by your understanding of our idiomatic expressions and colloquialisms. I'm quite sure this knowledge has been invaluable in your dealings with english speaking North Americans.

Perhaps I'm taking up too much of your valuable time, although you seem to enjoy visiting our cyber community, with my repartee and I should just fade away. I think you can see now the direction of my ramblings, as I'm going to ask you for a favor. If you are able to find some extra time in the next few days, possible to post here, in Spanish, the translation and short explanation of the "piano player".

In closing may say, thank you very much for taking of your time to interact with us and enlighten us on some of the complexities of the Dominican legal system.

Thank you and my regards,

. . . CES

F

Fabio J. Guzman

Thank you for the compliment. My father would certainly appreciate it. He was the one who shipped me to a Canadian boarding school (?prep school? in American parlance) at age 13 with a very rudimentary, not to say inexistent, knowledge of the King?s English. Despite my ten years spent up north, I am one of the worst translators around. I think I have two or three totally separate hard disks in my brain: one for each language with very little communication among them. As far as I know, there is no idiomatic translation into Spanish of the phrase ?Don?t shoot the piano player."

C

CES

>>> "I think I have two or three totally separate hard disks in my brain: one for each language with very little communication among them." <<<

Hola Se?or,

Good analogy, and certainly an admirable skill, the ability to think and communicate in different languages with out the bother of translating every thing "on the fly".

My derivation of the "piano player" is this: during the period of time, roughly, from 1850 until 1930 (and quite possible, even today) saloons, gambling parlors, bawdy houses and other such dens of iniquity would engage the services of a piano player. His responsibility was to play a 'lively tune' for the entertainment of the customers of said establishments. If the customers became rowdy and out of control, then fisticuffs and general mayhem might/ would result. The piano player was suppose to continue playing and not quit his post, (very >> IMPORTANT <<) the more raucous the melee, the louder (and up tempo) the piano. If gunfire resulted, the piano player would call out the famous phrase "PLEASE don't shoot the piano player" and continue playing vigorously. I'm sure you've seen the movie.

So how is this analogues in the context of 'G?mez vs. Bommarito'? Even though the good barrister, Lic. Guzm?n, may be in the middle of the proceedings, he isn't the guilty party, only an innocent bystander. . .

Regards,

. . . CES

Status
Not open for further replies.