For dominican music lover.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am surprised no one is talking about the great line-up of old dominican popular artists giving away free concert all over the island. these are 12 artists, doing one song each. here is the list:
Milly Quezada, Johnny Ventura, Joseito Mateo, Wilfrido Vargas, Fefita la Grande, El Cieguito de Nagua, Francisco Ulloa, Luis Segura, Jos? Manuel Calder?n, Fernando Echavarr?a, Cuco Valoy y Francis Santana
they were in santiago on saturday at monumento. Too bad many people didn't show up for the fear of engaging with local tigres and pocket pickers. Monumento concerts are famous for these thieves doing their act while you are enjoying the concert in open air. The irony was, few local tigres showed up because these artists don't really appeal to them at all. sadly the decent folks also had decided to stay at home for the fear of falling victims to these street thugs and pocket pickers.
i can imagine how many would have showed up if Omega was giving away a free concert.
Since I had locked myself in the house for a few days, grieving for the loss of my mom, I was not planing to go anywhere. But my friend insisted that i should move on with life and get out of my house. So upon reaching monumento area, we were informed of the concert. i have always wanted to see johnny ventura and milly in concert so we decided to stick around. I went up to the concert organizers (presidente and sol caribe), talked to their manager and was able to secure 3 seats in the VIP section. The concert was simply amazing, watching all the most popular domincian artists from old times -till recent perform their own favorite songs. I would recommend people to go see this act, its free and you will be able to see all the greatest dominican performers in one place at the same time.
here is the link of the news paper article:
Celebridades de la musica har?n recorrido por Dominicana :: Espectaculos :: DiarioDigitalRD.com - Noticias Republica Dominicana
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sorry for your loss buddy...

Wow...That would be an awesome concert. There's another group of famous artists (i.e. Ramon Orlando) doing something similar, but their shows are not free...actually it's 1000 p/p, which it's still OK for the caliber of musicians. I almost went to see them in Cotui when I was there in December, but when I got to the place there was an argument going on at the door because the local fiscal was on a power trip where he and his "helpers" wanted to be allowed in with their weapons while everyone else was disarmed and some people were objecting to this. I decided to leave that concert alone and went to another place instead, but would have loved to see them...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Dammit, the ONE weekend I decide to get out of Santiago.............
SHALENA

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Aftab - There was a crop of 80's Legends that were touring here in the US since last year. Sometimes they are good, but sometimes they are too high to go on!

Then we have the WORST DJs DR has ever missed! from Coco Cabrera, El Pacha, and Polito among others. On the one hand you have good music but the talk is EXCRUCIATING, and then Polito plays EVERY single demo they send him!

Anyway - I said all that to say that I would have loved to see that concert. Sounds like great lineup!

BTW, I am so sorry for your loss.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
VIP area is very secure. We get the perfect view from the high raised seating area. Armed guards, access to artists and back stage, free beer (too bad, I do not drink anymore) and educated people all around you. Even the bathroom (johns) are cleaner than the general public johns.
If you were with me, you would have been sitting with us. Always room for JD. :)

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
VIP area is very secure. We get the perfect view from the high raised seating area. Armed guards, access to artists and back stage, free beer (too bad, I do not drink anymore) and educated people all around you. Even the bathroom (johns) are cleaner than the general public johns.
If you were with me, you would have been sitting with us. Always room for JD. :)

the only thing I took from this post is that you don't drink anymore

?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the only thing I took from this post is that you don't drink anymore

?
Oh well, I do drink water and other non-sugary drinks (example diet sodas).
I am cutting down on sugars this year and alcohol is just another form of sugar. No I am not diabetic but i would like to prevent it as much as I can. My mom died from complications of heart but her diabetic condition didn't help either.
So if you guys want to invite AZB out for the night, remember, I am a cheap date now. hahahaha
AZB

Reactions: FernieBee

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Oh well, I do drink water and other non-sugary drinks (example diet sodas).
I am cutting down on sugars this year and alcohol is just another form of sugar. No I am not diabetic but i would like to prevent it as much as I can. My mom died from complications of heart but her diabetic condition didn't help either.
So if you guys want to invite AZB out for the night, remember, I am a cheap date now. hahahaha
AZB

ha ha

i will keep that in mind next month. not wanting to hijack the thread but a nice vodka soda(club soda/seltzer water) would be a good option if you ever want a drink.

about 50 to 60 calories a drink from the vodka and zero calories from the soda/seltzer. The calories do not contain carbs.

talk to you soon

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
ha ha

i will keep that in mind next month. not wanting to hijack the thread but a nice vodka soda(club soda/seltzer water) would be a good option if you ever want a drink.

about 50 to 60 calories a drink from the vodka and zero calories from the soda/seltzer. The calories do not contain carbs.

talk to you soon

This is my drink of choice!!!;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
ha ha

talk to you soon
I don't care for the calories, just that i don't need alcohol anymore. I think i can live without it just fine. :)
AZB

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
Son de Todo

Sorry I missed the concert. I was at the free concert that Son de Todo puts on every Saturday. Later, we hit Aji Bar and a few others on that street. We saw that there was going to be a concert at the Monument, but had no idea who was playing. I've seen Milly in concert, but none of the others. And I love the old bachateros. Would have really enjoyed it. My condolences on your loss.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
As mountainannie mentioned in another post about hearing about arts/cultural events AFTER THE FACT.... it would have been great if this free event and others like it were posted in an EVENTS section here on DR1.
I would have attended if I knew about it.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
As mountainannie mentioned in another post about hearing about arts/cultural events AFTER THE FACT.... it would have been great if this free event and others like it were posted in an EVENTS section here on DR1.
I would have attended if I knew about it.

I ran into the event purely by accident. I wasn't even supposed to leave the house that day. Family people generally don't go to monumento concerts for the fear of being robbed or assaulted. I was able to secure the VIP section so I made the decision to go see it. This is why we don't post monumento free events on the Dr1 because the chances of getting pick pocketed by a tigre is very likely, especially if you are a white tourist.
AZB

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
Well if you ran into it purely by accident, then I guess a visitor had no chance of finding out about it. It couldn't have been very well advertised. As for the pick pocketing, when you're in unfamiliar territory you need to heighten your awareness of your surroundings. I always secure my wallet in a buttoned pocket. Lacking a buttoned pocket, it goes in a front pocket which is harder to pick than a rear pocket. As for being a white tourist, it seems to me that the tigeres are relunctanct to give them problems because the police response will give greater attention to the matter due to the fact that a white tourist is involved. There are many free live performances in Santiago, if one wants to live a little. The above mentioned Son de Todo show is given every Saturday in the Supermercado La Altagracia parking lot - Tigere Free.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I ran into the event purely by accident. I wasn't even supposed to leave the house that day. Family people generally don't go to monumento concerts for the fear of being robbed or assaulted. I was able to secure the VIP section so I made the decision to go see it. This is why we don't post monumento free events on the Dr1 because the chances of getting pick pocketed by a tigre is very likely, especially if you are a white tourist.
AZB

Ok I can understand trying to protect the obvious tourist.
I look Dominican and can get away with blending in but I guess that is not the case for the majority.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Well if you ran into it purely by accident, then I guess a visitor had no chance of finding out about it. It couldn't have been very well advertised. As for the pick pocketing, when you're in unfamiliar territory you need to heighten your awareness of your surroundings. I always secure my wallet in a buttoned pocket. Lacking a buttoned pocket, it goes in a front pocket which is harder to pick than a rear pocket. As for being a white tourist, it seems to me that the tigeres are relunctanct to give them problems because the police response will give greater attention to the matter due to the fact that a white tourist is involved. There are many free live performances in Santiago, if one wants to live a little. The above mentioned Son de Todo show is given every Saturday in the Supermercado La Altagracia parking lot - Tigere Free.
Seems like you have a good plan in place. tell me what will you do if you are in the middle of thousands of people, packed like sardines, being pushes and shoved and then you find out, your pant pockets are cut and wallet is missing? You didn't even feel it. Hahahaha. You think the tigres don't know what they are doing? they plan everything down to perfection. You would be surprised to see how fast your watch and camera is gone. they snatch it and disappear in crowd, pass it to another person and he is left with empty hands. Cut your clothes with razor blades so you never feel the hand going inside the pants; the wallet falls out. if non of the things are possible in obtaining your valuables, how about a gun pressed to your belly?
Now I am talking about the worst case scenarios. Chances are, nothing will happen to you. I wouldn't go there, if I wanted to see a concert.
The events are well advertised but I never look into these activities just because they are in open air monumento which is full of tigres.
AZB

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
I stand corrected

tell me what will you do if you are in the middle of thousands of people, packed like sardines, being pushes and shoved and then you find out, your pant pockets are cut and wallet is missing? You didn't even feel it. Hahahaha. You think the tigres don't know what they are doing? they plan everything down to perfection. You would be surprised to see how fast your watch and camera is gone. they snatch it and disappear in crowd, pass it to another person and he is left with empty hands. Cut your clothes with razor blades so you never feel the hand going inside the pants; the wallet falls out. if non of the things are possible in obtaining your valuables, how about a gun pressed to your belly?

AZB

To be honest, I thought that your reply was a bit of an exageration. I just spoke with my friend in Santiago with whom I spent last Saturday night, and he concurs with everything you said. He also said that he knew about the concert, but didn't mention it because he never goes to the monument concerts for the same reason. On a side note, when they close off Calle de Sol and put on a free concert there, he will attend those.

Regarding the Son de Todo concerts, they begin after about 8:30 PM and go until midnight. It's a nice take. You can purchase drinks and snacks across the street at the supermercado. The parking lot is on the corner of Calle de Sol and Juan Pablo Duarte. Later, you can walk over to the bars by Montezuma and Kukaramakara.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
seems like there is a concert series at the monument on every weekend. its sponsored by presidente and barcelo. Too bad the constant rain will spoil the fun for everyone.
AZB