new tourist taxes????

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
i have always thought that the tax at ten dollars was high!!!! now it is !15. in a crowded and smaller economical world the tourist will look at all things . family of five is $75. and that might be too much for some. the tax on the ticket is already high. p.s. i think this new tax if i read correctly is for all... dominicans will love that. although it will bring alot of money to the country. another 35 million dollars or so.. all passengers... pay 15$ should be able to build a few more airports with that $$$. could be wrong ive been wrong before. if 3 million people arrive...

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
well thats cheap. add it up a police force that works, system of education second to none. antique cars for hire. music all over the place by musicians. nobody driving by on fast bikes tearing you down.. (i did not know) i thought it was cheaper than here and all ive spoken to have never mentioned it.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
$50 in cuba, stop complaining.

So by your logic, if it goes all the way to $49.99 then we should still thank our lucky stars?

People SHOULD complain, once they realize where that money is going.

Infrastructure? No.

Salaries for airport employees? No.

In someone's pocket? Ya tu sabes...

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Ojala con~o que se le derrumbe el turismo no joda, a ver si van a seguir abusando de los turistas estos ladrones de pacotilla.

Feb 7, 2007
It's the tax that has already been included in your ticket price, US$ 10 each way. Now it's increased to US$ 15, so it's a 5 dollar increase.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
I'm confused

The taxes were $10US to get in and $20US to get out that's a total of $30US
The article seems to say it is now $15US to get in and $15US to get out that's $30US
What am I missing?

aross

Nov 15, 2007
The taxes were $10US to get in and $20US to get out that's a total of $30US
The article seems to say it is now $15US to get in and $15US to get out that's $30US
What am I missing?

My wife arrived on AA yesterday from Miami and she only had to pay $10.00 when she arrived. And we have not had to pay an exit tax for many years.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
My wife arrived on AA yesterday from Miami and she only had to pay $10.00 when she arrived. And we have not had to pay an exit tax for many years.

That is how it is for me also, for many years. I think our (Americans) exit fee is included in the flight ticket fare. After reading some of the other threads, I think Europeans are subject to a cash on departure situation. I may be wrong about all of this.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
With the exception of charters, flights from the US and Canada include the exit fee in the ticket price. It's a good idea. Saves a lot of drama if someone has too much fun on vacation and forgets to save a few bucks for the fee.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
private aircraft landings

tax. from what i understand and if anyone knows , private planes used to land here alot. now if you have a plane its expected to pay. $mall but pay. d.r. raised the landing fees so high that the guys who own factories were put off. ricos...then it went the way of people smuggling as recently seen in the news. to the present day the govt. has spent millions to promote the place, bring small craft here. have an agency. and oh yeh lowered the fees.. to a point!!! sent a team to florida to try and bring em back...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Not only are they taxing each passenger with these exorbitant taxes, the airlines themselves are suffering too.

Dominican aviation fuel, namely Jet A1 is taxed the highest and is the most expensive in the Caribbean. Both Thomas Cook and Thomsonfly have cut back on flights to the DR this year. And before people start blaming the economic crisis, it might be worth pointing out that British holiday makers will not be going to the Eurozone this summer because a Pound will buy you one Euro! They will be going to Turkey, North Africa and Trans Atlantic.

Thomas Cook and TUI are also still posting healthy profits despite the downturn. One thing that a typical Brit will not forgo is their summer holiday. It is seen as a necessity, not a luxury.

Cuba and Mexico will be very busy this year. But the shortsighted Dominicans would rather strangle the Golden Goose.

murilka

Nov 6, 2008
How much will be for charters? its already $10 for entry and $20 for exit... and you dont get a receipt either... no trace for dominican airport income...

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
was I taxed twice

Last week as I left PP airport after clearing customs I approached immigration desk , I was intercepted by a officer who asked me how long I had been here , I replied "a few months " , he directed me to the office where my passport was checked , it was decided that I had to pay 2,500pesos on the new scale , I did not dispute this but did not have enough money to pay , I had to go back out to the atm , withdraw what I needed and return to the office to pay the said amount. They gave a reciept which I produced with the form at the departure tax desk where they cheerfully waved me through. I passed the time until we boarded listening to the message "ALL THOSE WHO HAVE NOT PAID DEPARTURE TAX PLEASE DO SO NOW " I took no notice , I had just paid 2,500 pesos .As i attempted to board the plane , I was one of the last as I was row 6 , the guy looked at my boarding pass and said that I had not paid my departure tax , I told him I had just paid , he said you paid immigration tax not departure tax ? .For the last 4 yrs that I come back and forth I cannot remember paying 2 taxes to leave , by this time the stewardess was waiting to close the door , guy would not let me board , all i had was ?5 and a few pesos , in the end the captain of the plane lent me the other $15 and I was able to board , a little red faced , was I taxed twice ?