Car rental here?? Jeeeeessssuss!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Car rental here?? Jeeeeessssuss!!Is it not stupidly priced? Me reckons so!!!!
Did you try National & Avis? Many tend to overlook the bigger companies expecting them to be overpriced!!

When you consider the style of driving here & the fact that tourists are not used to the 'pushing ways & incinsistency' of Dominican drivers (thereby putting themselves at risk of accidents) maybe the rental price is not too high.

If you have a pleasant/friendly personality & the time to do so .............. NEGOTIATE!! ~ Grahame

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
What are the rental rates? Are they really that bad? Also, are there rental agents located in places other than at the airports?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Is it not stupidly priced? Me reckons so!!!!

I have heard a rumor that most of the car rental companies in SDQ airport are owned by one guy. The absence of competition allows him to dictate the price.

Again, this is just something I heard in passing.

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
My sister has just booked a rental for ?218 for 8 days, apparently the cheapest she could find. I stupidly told her, 'leave it to me' and I can't beat that price. That seems incredibly expensive to me. Or maybe I'm just out of touch. What happened to the days we could rent a car for ?12 per day.
A little run around is all that's needed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We usually just walk up to the counters in SDQ and bargain. A small car has cost about US$225-250 for the week. Unlimited miles w/o insurance and other options. The insurance is covered by the credit card.
Oftentimes, the extra charges are the killer.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My sister has just booked a rental for ?218 for 8 days, apparently the cheapest she could find. I stupidly told her, 'leave it to me' and I can't beat that price. That seems incredibly expensive to me. Or maybe I'm just out of touch. What happened to the days we could rent a car for ?12 per day.
A little run around is all that's needed.
They disappeared at about the same time as your puberty!!:cheeky::bunny:

US $40 per day seems a pretty good rate to me - is that with National? ~ Grahame.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
We usually just walk up to the counters in SDQ and bargain. A small car has cost about US$225-250 for the week. Unlimited miles w/o insurance and other options. The insurance is covered by the credit card.

Just make sure to check with credit card company if they'll cover alot of time they wont in the DR.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Careful with that

I checked carefully with American Express and found that at least with the Green Card, only the car liablity is covered by the card, not any personal liablity. So - should you hit someone, or do injury to yourself or your passengers - that is on you... so be sure you check your card.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Not a rumour - from DR1!

I have heard a rumor that most of the car rental companies in SDQ airport are owned by one guy. The absence of competition allows him to dictate the price.

Again, this is just something I heard in passing.

Which, of course, we hold as the "source of sources" - Robert posted that Hertz, Budget, Avis, Europcar, National, and Nelly franchises are all owned by Santo Domingo motors -- at least that is my recollection....

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
I see an uptick in questions about car rentals in DR lately.. Maybe time to post a stickie/wiki on the subject?

There was a thread a while ago regarding rentals and CC coverage. I posted what I found at the time. I don't believe things have changed that much since then.

Has anyone here had an rental car accident while in DR? If so what happened?

Here's AMEXs policy regarding coverage
CJ

Last edited:
Reactions: mountainannie

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I see an uptick in questions about car rentals in DR lately.. Maybe time to post a stickie/wiki on the subject?

There was a thread a while ago regarding rentals and CC coverage. I posted what I found at the time. I don't believe things have changed that much since then.

CJ

the link is for premium coverage which is not a bad option to pay for. However,the Amex cards typically cover CDW insurance for most cars except luxury SUV, exotic cars and pick up trucks

see below

Search the American Express Site

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Duh-- thanks!

CJ

Thanks so much for this-- YES you do have to enroll in their premium coverage and so -- following you clear posting, I did so. Only to be told that I was already enrolled. One of those senior moments...... I know that I always felt so darned safe with AMEX (I Love My Card)....

:cheeky:

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
the link is for premium coverage which is not a bad option to pay for. However,the Amex cards typically cover CDW insurance for most cars except luxury SUV, exotic cars and pick up trucks

see below

Search the American Express Site

Hmmm... it seems as though Amex is pushing it's Premium coverage as opposed to the basic coverage most card member have. It also seems not all cards have the car rental coverage; I wasn't aware of that.

The original link enclosed in my message had a clear comparison between both options.

Now there is very little mention of basic coverage, liability coverage and, loss of use coverage (what you're responsible for while the damaged vehicle is being repaired. A separate coverage).

Carlos, from the link you provided, i followed another link to find the basic coverage provided for platinum members here and green card members here.

They also emphasize calling their 800 number for more details.

Chances are most people will rent a car in DR and never have an accident. However, It makes sense for anyone renting a car to consider carefully what the CC companies are marketing as coverage and what many customers are assuming is full coverage, in the event it's needed.

One last part to coverage; from what I'm reading on the Amex site, there seems to be a vaguely worded reference to coverage in excess of primary coverage (assumed to be your personal auto insurance) and that the CC coverage kicks in after a claim is filed with your insurance company.

"Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance provides coverage for theft of or damage to most rental vehicles when you use your eligible American Express Card to reserve and pay for an auto rental. Simply decline the collision damage waiver (CDW) or similar option offered by the Commercial Car Rental Company. This coverage is excess to your other sources of insurance and applies for the first 30 days of an auto rental. For more information and eligibility requirements, please call 1-800-338-1670 (outside the U.S. call collect at 1-440-914-2950) or visit us online at yourcarrentalclaim.com. "

Drive carefully.

CJ