How to pick a builder for house in Barahona?

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
I am willing to pay more money for better quality, certainly. What builder would you recommend me for ~300 m2 two story house in Barahona? Website links would be appreciated. Thank you.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am willing to pay more money for better quality, certainly. What builder would you recommend me for ~300 m2 two story house in Barahona? Website links would be appreciated. Thank you.

I would recommend whoever you get has personal references. Be assured that if you deal with anyone that has a website you will pay more than likely 3 to 4 times more than needed. If you are interested in doing it the Dominican way, ie as economical as possible with absolutely no compromise on quality of the house, let me know. BTW, this method only will work if you live here in the country during the construction as it will require that you buy the materials to be shipped to the site. pm me if interested.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
there an italian guy in santiago who built two houses to u.s. standards. things like plumbing abd electric. i think you have to track him down thru his lawyer near hotel row his name is fermin... raphael fermin atty... and the carrot dance$ in front of the horse for a good resaon...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You don't need someone with a website, blah, blah, blah...Here's what you do you go around town in Barahona and find several houses that look well built, then you ask the owners to get you the info of the maestro who built it. Get a Dominican to call these maestros and give you quotes for the entire project, minus building materials (That you should buy yourself). Once you have agreed on price and milestones (partidas) you then make sure that you're there every step of the way during construction.

Make sure that things like water cold and hot work nicely and with good pressure BEFORE walls are finished, that every drain has the proper slant to drain ALL of the water, that electrical outlets are spaced out and at the height you want, etc, etc...

Have a Dominican negotiate discounts for you with the local hardware store, since you're going to be buying in large volumes.

Get your own plumber, electrician, wood worker, etc...don't necessarily go with the recommendation of the maestro or if you do make sure you see their work beforehand.

Prepare yourself mentally for some frustrating times...

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
thinking of being a haitian

im getting restless and have been into doing building for so long im itching to get in it again. i have suf. contacts, ideas and $$ backing that i can deal with owners and not worry about $$$ while im working. and they might be at rest if they realize this. i learned along time ago not to work for tights or cheapos or peeps that dont have $$$. i did much beeter when i followed these rules. i think i can build here... what i meant is that so many stories about sending $$ to builders and owners coming here and all was lost... i am not in that position so i stand to do better$$ on the project. not scared to buy equipment work sundays etc.