What currency to bring

C

Chris

We are coming to the DR in January from the UK and would like some advice regarding currency. What's the best way to bring our money?

M

Mike

Bring 10 US Dollars for your tourist visa and another $10 for the exit visa (if it is not provided by your holiday company). I am from the US, and I found that US Dollars are by far the easiest to exchange to RD Pesos. This information came from friends that we met in DR from Sweden and Denmark; they converted their countries' currency to $US prior to leaving home.

E

Eddy

Mike is correct. Even though you can easily exchange your English Pounds in the DR, it will probably be best to bring US$. Travellers cheques will give you a better exchange rate here.

E

ECH, M.D.

I have frequent visitors from many different countries. I have advised them to bring a couple of hundred dollars (U.S.)and then to use their MASTER OR VISA cards to get cash advances from the ATM machines which pay in pesos. That way, you do not have to worry about the security of travelers cheques or having a large amount of cash. I also advise frequent visits to the ATM rather than taking out large sums at one time. Just enough for a couple of days at a time. This seems to work out very well for my friends

B

Ben

Im from Canada Ill be there sunday I always bring american express in Canadian denominations. the cambio traders like this better as opposed to American dollars as they can be conterfitted easilly on a printer.They are having problems with funny money.

M

Mike

I agree with Ben. I said that we bring US Dollars, but we actually bring American Express Travelers Cheques in US currency. We also bring under $100 US in small bills for tips etc.

S

Sandra

Speaking as a fellow Brit, you will lose out if you buy either currency or travellers cheques in dollars in England because the exchange rate is appalling at the moment. The advice regarding using a bank card is good because I have always found the exchange rate better than what is offered at the resort and it is safer. Just take a few dollars for your immediate use and then switch to a card. And buy your tourist visa in advance from the Dominican Embassy in London, saves a great deal of time at the Airport!

A

Andreas

bring chocolate

I had opened this site, perhaps i thougt, there was somebody asking for bringing some things in the DR, for the people. But when I was reading the reason, I feeld a little bad, perhaps the tourist only thinking on hereself !
Why is it so??

Greats vom Germany!
los-locos-de

A

Andreas

Re: bring chocolate & that what you want

Ask for Charly Wardelmann. He's a german guy, living since I Think 15 years in the domrep!
My link ( E.Mail Adress )will bring jou to him!!
Don't be angry to me perhaps that what I have scriven before!

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

hola Chris,
I answer your question to Andreas down here but DR1 delete it.
So another "kind"try.......
Use travellers with english Pound and just 20$US in case your ticket nit include the tourist-card.
Double exchange at the moment (the US$ is very up)makes no sense.And ATM cash is to europeans (don't know UK, but all....) very, very expensive, they give you a bad value and charge you for cash money a lot more.
I have CC since almost 30y and live here many years to, so I don't know why they delete this important (to europeans)and correct info.
cu/charly

D

Duck

It depends on where you are going to be. You need a few USD for the tourist card, but if you are staying in a tourist area, it is probably better to change Pounds directly into Pesos instead of paying the conversion fee twice. However, in smaller towns US Dollars are easier to change. If you have an ATM card, the ATMs work great and give the best exchange rate!