SHELP SEND A KID TO SCHOOL IN SOSUA

R

Richard

A wonderful think is happeming in Sosua. A group of long-term ex-pats have formed an association to help send kids to school. Education in the DR is free and compulsory however books, supplies and uniforms are required so many kids from poor families dio not attend sinch it costs from 600-700 pesos per year per child. Supported by donations from expats and tourists alike the association provides 2 each of the following: shirts or blouses, pants or skirts, socks, underwear. belt and backpack, even a school picture. since September they have been able to send 11 kids to school and have enough money to send them back in January. The families are screened to ensure they are needy. Should you choose to help with a donation please stop by the Britannia pub on the main street and see Barb, Linden or Lindo the head bartender. If you can spare 200 or 300 pesos great, but even smaller donations are gratefully accepted. Itis a wonderful idea and you will be helping kids who have a great thirst for learning. Gracias.

M

Mike

This sounds great! I now plan to spend a part of a day going from Cabarete to Sosua just to drop a few bucks at the Britannia Pub as well as make a donation to this worthwhile cause.

W

WBDominicana

This, gentlemen, is the kind of grass-roots, hands-on effort that will make a difference in the lives of the children AND the families in the RD...my hat is off to y'all!!
-WBD

R

Richard

you are so right. the people doing this receive absolutely no renumeration. It would be really great if it spread to other communities around the DR. I will put another message on in the near future for those who missed the first one.