Today the kitchen, in 2 months the living room??

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Is it true that here in DR once you have a solar...you can build your house "little by little"?
Every Dominican that I have asked says that this is true and is why I see alot of houses that have walls and thats it, that the owners will finish it when they have more money.
If this is true, it would be a dream to me if I could build a house that way without a loan but what I want to know is are these people working with real licensed builders?
Will a real licensed builder ACTUALLY build a house with me saying "This month I have $2000...build what you can" ? And continue like that each month?
SHALENA

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Is it true that here in DR once you have a solar...you can build your house "little by little"?
Every Dominican that I have asked says that this is true and is why I see alot of houses that have walls and thats it, that the owners will finish it when they have more money.
If this is true, it would be a dream to me if I could build a house that way without a loan but what I want to know is are these people working with real licensed builders?
Will a real licensed builder ACTUALLY build a house with me saying "This month I have $2000...build what you can" ? And continue like that each month?
SHALENA

This practice is most typical for adding a second story to an existing ground floor structure which may have been prepared for an extension. Many, if not most Dominicans don't have a bank account. So some, as a way of creating "savings" start to build homes just in a similar way as they shop for 20Pesos or "this or that" at the colmado. It's an effective way to "save" something... it would be spent on beer and/or funny haircuts and or braids within days anyway... However, for obvious reasons of logistics to the builders, it certainly is not a very economic way of building, since builders have to come beg for their money, interrupt the process again and again and move workers, tools and material from one building site to another. Some private developments may not allow or not "like" that system, however. ... J-D.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
OK, I think that I understand. That process is very beneficial to the owner but not to the builder I would guess.
My problem is that how I want my house they do not build that way in the DR, or at least I have not seen it, or only in mansions (No, I do not want nor could afford a mansion;))
I do not think that I woud qualify or have the patience to even consider qualifying for a home loan, nor do I think I would want one after reading alot of posts here , and so someone told me about this.
But I figured it was too good to be true. ;)
SHALENA

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
building little by little

sking, i'm building a house in the dr little by little and am having no problems. i have help from my dominican "family" but it is working out great. i just find out how much each project is going to cost, work awhile, and either take the money or send it down. we are using a local builder who is coordinating most of the work. we started with the foundation and block, then roof, etc. etc. just completed the windows and doors. all closed in now. next is kitchen and bath. it is no doubt doable. t

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yes most Dominicans build their houses that way, even those who have money but may not want to spend it all right away. I know lots of people doing just that (i.e. My best friend who lives here in Michigan has been building his house for 4 years now...it is a very large house. He could get loans here, but he prefers not to).

Don't worry about licensed builders...just get the design you want, hire a maestro and be there every step of the way to make sure things are done the way you want it.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks guys...there is a solar that I am interested in here in my neighborhood, I am trying to save at least half of the money for it.But I'm sure it will be gone by the time I'm ready. That I WILL need a loan for but I haven't set anything concrete yet, just thinking.
But I would like to have the house built in 2 years (from 2010) meaning 2012.
I know that it is alot of hassle but I think it will be worth it.
I just like the idea of picking out everything myself, and having things done my way.
These are encouraging posts, I will be coming back to this thread definitely when I am ready, for you guys' recommendations because the last thing I need is some scam artist running off with my roof money jajaja;)
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
By the way, what size (in MT2) solar would you need for a house approximately 3500-3800sf? With enough room for a decent sized jardin?
SHALENA

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
By the way, what size (in MT2) solar would you need for a house approximately 3500-3800sf? With enough room for a decent sized jardin?
SHALENA

If it was a villa we're talking about, I'd say 1500m2. If it's city or barrio, that may come down to 450m2 without a real back yard to 500m2 with a little patio in the rear and 600m2 with room for a couple of plants and so on. IF we're talking ground level only building. Some "solares" of 300m2 will hold a 3500sqft living space with a little balcony here and there easily... just with some patio space in the rear.
Short, it all depends a quite bit on how close on to the street and your neighbors you are allowed to build and if you are keeping it ground floor only or not.
Given, the word allowed here, may be replaceable with checking on how close neighbors in that particular neighborhood have build.

As for conversion, as a rule of thumb you can assume about 10 square feet more or less equals about a square meter.

I however don't think it is wise to mix yards, feet and inches with meters, centimeters and millimeters (just ask the NASA engineers team which crash landed a probe on Mars for that very reason a couple of years ago.).

Anyways, here's a link to a page which comes in handy when trying to convert measurements: Conversions - online metrics conversion - US standard & metric system unit converter for measurements, and fractions to decimals

... J-D.

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So a solar of 900MT2 is approximately 9,600sf...and a 2 story house of 3800sf should be 1900sf for each floor...so that particular solar is waaaaayyy too much space right?
I am illiterate in these types of things.
SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
shalena, if you take a walk in any neighbourhood you will notice that most of dominican houses are smacked right in the middle of land, for a reason yet unknown to me. this way you end up with no patio or garden, lot to mention the fact that in times of crisis you cannot sell part of your land.
so don't think much about size or your solar. in DR you can squeeze a 200sq meters house on a solar that is about 130sq meters (two storeys, of course).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Shalena, we started off with 660 sq. metres (average size single lot in upscale part of Puerto Plata) then subsequently bought half the next door lot, so we are now about 1000 sq. metres & yes, it is large - enough for house, garden, housing for generator, plenty of play space for dogs etc.

You might also find the thread Chip started useful:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/63016-homebuilding-dr-inexpensive-dominican-way.html

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Shalena: No such thing as too much space. IMO around 1000sf is a good size for a solar. It lets you have enough space to have a nice front and back yard, a decent size pool if you wish, you can plant trees, etc..without feeling too cramped.

Not sure what neighborhood DV8 lives in, but most Dominicans build their houses right up next to the street and try to leave a nice yard in the back (remnant of the Spanish culture I guess). I personally like to have some kind of driveway...also thinking about security obviously the closest you are to the street and walls the easiest for someone to climb up to your house.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Keep lots of breathing room.....

You are not in "New York" anymore!

I would bet you don't want to hear every little thing said in your neighbor's home. Building in the center of the lot gives you space to enjoy your home and property in private. Walls too close to the house can act as ladders to the house (Balcony, 2nd floor, etc).

You will regret later if you squeeze your house into a small solar....

Don - SantiagoDR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
SHALENA
The reason most Dominicans build "little by little" is because most don't have access to financial tools.

If you qualify for a loan, take it and build the thing in one shot.

You can build your home any way you want, especially if its not in a private neighborhood where architectural controls are in place. All you need is an architect and a builder plus all the permits and you're set to go.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
shalena, if you take a walk in any neighbourhood you will notice that most of dominican houses are smacked right in the middle of land, for a reason yet unknown to me. this way you end up with no patio or garden, lot to mention the fact that in times of crisis you cannot sell part of your land.
so don't think much about size or your solar. in DR you can squeeze a 200sq meters house on a solar that is about 130sq meters (two storeys, of course).
That is very much true. More than a few mansions are built that way. Hardly any space left for the pool and jacuzzi. :cheeky:

-NALs

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When my sister-in-law and her husband were first married, as struggling young professionals they built what ended up being a very nice villa that way. Kitchen first, then the rest little by little. It had a nice spacious back patio with lots of trees and flowers and a jacuzzi, and some garden space in front.

When they sold it, the buyer surrounded it by thick high walls, extended most of the house to within inches of the walls, and built a second house in what had been the back patio.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That is very much true. More than a few mansions are built that way. Hardly any space left for the pool and jacuzzi. :cheeky:

serious stuff, man. we were looking at few houses to buy in torre alta (POP). all the same waste of space. and then, of course you have a house of the owner of jimenez store, also in torre alta. the lot - about 350-400sq meters. a house - more than a thousand (3 floors). zero, but zero of a garden and a garage that can hardly fit two small cars. i mean, wtf? the house was raised in few months so the guy clearly had the money. why not buy a bigger lot and have a garden too? very peculiar.
plus a completely foreign to me - literally - idea of a maids quarter. :cheeky: in poland i lived with my parents, brother and a cat in a 41sq meters apartment. and miesposo says that apartment we live in now - 104sq meters - is small. :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
You can build your home any way you want, especially if its not in a private neighborhood where architectural controls are in place. All you need is an architect and a builder plus all the permits and you're set to go.

and many small campos and towns you do not need any type of permit....just get a builder and go on building.Have been working on my house in El LImon for over 2 years,roof is going on now...pay as I go...have no more than 200,000 pesos in it so far,a 3 bed ,1 bath house ,little over 1100 sq ft.,and should finish it for less than 500,000 pesos..local labor is very inexpensive also...and very good... building supplies were very high for awhile,but have dropped a little...
bob

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
This is what I am going to do....I am buying a solar in August. There is one that I am interested in in my area (Valle Verde Primero) but it is a little more away from the main road (Yapur Dumit) than I like. The reason that it interests me is because it is 890MT2 and for 2,200RD/MT2.Maybe the owner will sell me half, or it may not even be there in August, who knows? There are 2 other nice houses the size that I want on the same street but the other houses are small, and at the end of the street there seems to be a lot where some haitians are staying. There is a factory on the street behind the house but I have made a point of going at different hours of the day/night to make sure there is not alot of noise and tigueres. Because a neighborhood can seem so nice and you go past at 10pm and every Tiguere in the neighborhood is out on the street. All of the other solars I have seen have been 3,000RD or more per MT2.
Chip has already recommended someone who can Maestro. I am excited. It may take me 3 years but I do not want a loan and really don't think I qualify for one even if I did want one.
Did you guys have things built to American standards such as a hot water heater that can heat water for more than 5 minutes, recessed lighting, or a laundry room upstairs instead of downstairs?
SHALENA

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Shalena-laundry rooms are common in dominican homes-that should not be a problem.

The problem would be getting a decent maestro that is in tune with your overall plan for the construction.

I would take Chips' advice on this one-you don't want to get just any old maestro...:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
b5r1bs.jpg

Did you guys have things built to American standards such as a hot water heater that can heat water for more than 5 minutes, recessed lighting, or a laundry room upstairs instead of downstairs?
SHALENA

These things are doable, but maybe you'd like to consult an architect about such details. Having plans drawn for the whole project will not be that expensive, and a good one will be able to turn your ideas into reality.

Last edited: