Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Today the kitchen, in 2 months the living room??

Is it true that here in DR once you have a solar...you can build your house "little by little"?
    Every Dominican that I have asked says that this is true and is why I see alot of houses that have walls and thats it, that the owners will finish it when they have more money.
    If this is true, it would be a dream to me if I could build a house that way without a loan but what I want to know is are these people working with real licensed builders?
    Will a real licensed builder ACTUALLY build a house with me saying "This month I have $2000...build what you can" ? And continue like that each month?
    SHALENA

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    Is it true that here in DR once you have a solar...you can build your house "little by little"?
    Every Dominican that I have asked says that this is true and is why I see alot of houses that have walls and thats it, that the owners will finish it when they have more money.
    If this is true, it would be a dream to me if I could build a house that way without a loan but what I want to know is are these people working with real licensed builders?
    Will a real licensed builder ACTUALLY build a house with me saying "This month I have $2000...build what you can" ? And continue like that each month?
    SHALENA
    This practice is most typical for adding a second story to an existing ground floor structure which may have been prepared for an extension. Many, if not most Dominicans don't have a bank account. So some, as a way of creating "savings" start to build homes just in a similar way as they shop for 20Pesos or "this or that" at the colmado. It's an effective way to "save" something... it would be spent on beer and/or funny haircuts and or braids within days anyway... However, for obvious reasons of logistics to the builders, it certainly is not a very economic way of building, since builders have to come beg for their money, interrupt the process again and again and move workers, tools and material from one building site to another. Some private developments may not allow or not "like" that system, however. ... J-D.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I think that I understand. That process is very beneficial to the owner but not to the builder I would guess.
    My problem is that how I want my house they do not build that way in the DR, or at least I have not seen it, or only in mansions (No, I do not want nor could afford a mansion)
    I do not think that I woud qualify or have the patience to even consider qualifying for a home loan, nor do I think I would want one after reading alot of posts here , and so someone told me about this.
    But I figured it was too good to be true.
    SHALENA

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default building little by little

sking, i'm building a house in the dr little by little and am having no problems. i have help from my dominican "family" but it is working out great. i just find out how much each project is going to cost, work awhile, and either take the money or send it down. we are using a local builder who is coordinating most of the work. we started with the foundation and block, then roof, etc. etc. just completed the windows and doors. all closed in now. next is kitchen and bath. it is no doubt doable. t

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes most Dominicans build their houses that way, even those who have money but may not want to spend it all right away. I know lots of people doing just that (i.e. My best friend who lives here in Michigan has been building his house for 4 years now...it is a very large house. He could get loans here, but he prefers not to).

Don't worry about licensed builders...just get the design you want, hire a maestro and be there every step of the way to make sure things are done the way you want it.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...there is a solar that I am interested in here in my neighborhood, I am trying to save at least half of the money for it.But I'm sure it will be gone by the time I'm ready. That I WILL need a loan for but I haven't set anything concrete yet, just thinking.
    But I would like to have the house built in 2 years (from 2010) meaning 2012.
    I know that it is alot of hassle but I think it will be worth it.
    I just like the idea of picking out everything myself, and having things done my way.
    These are encouraging posts, I will be coming back to this thread definitely when I am ready, for you guys' recommendations because the last thing I need is some scam artist running off with my roof money jajaja
    SHALENA

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, what size (in MT2) solar would you need for a house approximately 3500-3800sf? With enough room for a decent sized jardin?
    SHALENA

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    By the way, what size (in MT2) solar would you need for a house approximately 3500-3800sf? With enough room for a decent sized jardin?
    SHALENA

If it was a villa we're talking about, I'd say 1500m2. If it's city or barrio, that may come down to 450m2 without a real back yard to 500m2 with a little patio in the rear and 600m2 with room for a couple of plants and so on. IF we're talking ground level only building. Some "solares" of 300m2 will hold a 3500sqft living space with a little balcony here and there easily... just with some patio space in the rear.
    Short, it all depends a quite bit on how close on to the street and your neighbors you are allowed to build and if you are keeping it ground floor only or not.
    Given, the word allowed here, may be replaceable with checking on how close neighbors in that particular neighborhood have build.

As for conversion, as a rule of thumb you can assume about 10 square feet more or less equals about a square meter.

I however don't think it is wise to mix yards, feet and inches with meters, centimeters and millimeters (just ask the NASA engineers team which crash landed a probe on Mars for that very reason a couple of years ago.).

Anyways, here's a link to a page which comes in handy when trying to convert measurements: Conversions - online metrics conversion - US standard & metric system unit converter for measurements, and fractions to decimals

... J-D.
    Last edited by J D Sauser; 02-03-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

So a solar of 900MT2 is approximately 9,600sf...and a 2 story house of 3800sf should be 1900sf for each floor...so that particular solar is waaaaayyy too much space right?
    I am illiterate in these types of things.
    SHALENA

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

shalena, if you take a walk in any neighbourhood you will notice that most of dominican houses are smacked right in the middle of land, for a reason yet unknown to me. this way you end up with no patio or garden, lot to mention the fact that in times of crisis you cannot sell part of your land.
    so don't think much about size or your solar. in DR you can squeeze a 200sq meters house on a solar that is about 130sq meters (two storeys, of course).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast