Where can I find Mascarpone cheese and Scrapbooking shops in DR?

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007
Hi everyone, I'm sorry that I haven't been on the forums in a while but the first wave of exams were brutal.

I know this seems odd but I have two questions: where can I find mascarpone cheese in DR (I have a junkie-like weakness for tira misu) and a nice little scrapbooking shop?

I'll deal with the first question; The last time I went to DR I saw lady fingers when I was in La Sirena but I did not find mascarpone cheese ( I can't use mascarpone cheese substitute as I don't like it much after having tried it). It seems as though it wouldn't be a hard-to-find product in DR but I simply couldn't track it down when I was there...does anyone know where I can find some?

Now for the second question; Does anyone know of a scrapbooking shop in DR? I spend time in DR frequently for medical reasons and find myself in bed for days with nothing to do and, seeing as I have all these scrapbooks in the U.S., I thought I might do some scrapbooking when I'm in DR confined to bed rest. It would be a bit of a chore to take all my scrapbooking supplies with me to DR so I was wondering if there is a small scrapbooking shop in the SD area so that I can get some supplies, just the basics: paper, some scissors, stickers and an album.

Any responses for either of my questions would be infinitely appreciated. Thanks everyone!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
as far as the cheese...where are you staying? THere are many italian markets (kinda pricey) in some of the toursita areas. Cant say that i've seen marscapone tho (but then again i was not looking for it)

but even in Boca CHica there is a really good italian specialty market with cheeses, and meats etc. I would think you would have more luck in a touristy area where italians frequent.

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007
as far as the cheese...where are you staying? THere are many italian markets (kinda pricey) in some of the toursita areas. Cant say that i've seen marscapone tho (but then again i was not looking for it)

but even in Boca CHica there is a really good italian specialty market with cheeses, and meats etc. I would think you would have more luck in a touristy area where italians frequent.

I will be staying in a little pueblo about 30 mins from the capital...I haven't been to any Italian markets because I don't go out too much when I'm in DR but I'll look up Italian specialty markets in DR; even though I probably can't go myself my mother is always out shopping with her friends so she can probably ask around as well.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In the capital, there is an Italian deli/food wholesaler in San Carlos, several blocks up from Parque Independencia on the street that runs up to the National Palace, called 19 (or 30?) de marzo. They will definitely have mascarpone but you're also quite likely to find it in other good supermarkets in the capital (Nacional, Carrefour, Bravo, Pola, Amigo, etc.)

There is at least one scrapbooking shop in the Piantini area. I've driven past many times but couldn't tell you the name of the streets - it's on a corner.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
In the capital, there is an Italian deli/food wholesaler in San Carlos, several blocks up from Parque Independencia on the street that runs up to the National Palace, called 19 (or 30?) de marzo. They will definitely have mascarpone but you're also quite likely to find it in other good supermarkets in the capital (Nacional, Carrefour, Bravo, Pola, Amigo, etc.)

There is at least one scrapbooking shop in the Piantini area. I've driven past many times but couldn't tell you the name of the streets - it's on a corner.

Chiri, I think we can add 'Jumbo' to the list! Last time I was in Jumbo Mega Centro I bought Philadelphia cream cheese and I think I saw a small tub of mascarpone cheese in the fridge next to the cream cheese.

NotLurking

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Supermercado Nacional usually has Mascapone - I've seen it at both the Bella Vista and Febrero 27th stores recently. Carrefour should have it also, although I haven't been there for a while.

As for scrapbooking, like Chirimoya, I have seen a place in Piantini/Naco. I don't recall where it is though. Have you tried searching the DR YellowPages?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have seen a scrap booking shop, see attachment for a map.

The street is just north of Bravo. Drive down off of Winston Churchill and you will see the shop about a block or so down on your left. I think it's called "Scrap Book".

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007

The street is just north of Bravo. Drive down off of Winston Churchill and you will see the shop about a block or so down on your left. I think it's called "Scrap Book".

I love the map (gives good landmarks) but is there any way you could tell me where the shop is in relation to La Cuchara de Madera? I know my way around there well enough to be given directions from there to the scrap booking shop.

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007

Also, where did you find that map? It's so detailed and the landmarks really help.