Where Can I find Chinese 5 Spice Powder?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Customs has siezed my spices and I was really looking forward to some good chinese dishes.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Customs has siezed my spices and I was really looking forward to some good chinese dishes.

there is a sorta decent chinatown in Santo Domingo. I would guess that would be your best bet.

Now this gets me concerned...cuz i wanted to bring some of my own spices on my next trip as we plan to be cooking at home and i know i wont be able to find many of my thai and indian spices there.

I was told if they were dry spices that it shouldnt be a problem.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Have you tried Asian Cupid for a Chinese dish?

:bunny:

I did, and ordered two online and paid $600.00.

When I got the credit card authorization email, it showed two pretty girls and and a note saying " Tu Can Chu, None For Yu "

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've brought spices in, in person, no problem & likewise, friends have brought them for me, again no problem. Mike's was a mailed package, currently stuck in Customs, according to his other thread.

Mike if you're passing through Puerto Plata go to the Chinese Restaurant near the new Court on Luis Ginebra & ask Chino where he gets his.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
there is a sorta decent chinatown in Santo Domingo. I would guess that would be your best bet.

Now this gets me concerned...cuz i wanted to bring some of my own spices on my next trip as we plan to be cooking at home and i know i wont be able to find many of my thai and indian spices there.

I was told if they were dry spices that it shouldnt be a problem.

Although Customs has them, I have to check with EPS Sosua tomorrow to find out what the mix up is and what the procedure is.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I've brought spices in, in person, no problem & likewise, friends have brought them for me, again no problem. Mike's was a mailed package, currently stuck in Customs, according to his other thread.

Mike if you're passing through Puerto Plata go to the Chinese Restaurant near the new Court on Luis Ginebra & ask Chino where he gets his.

Thanks,

I have been there for lunch and that is part of what prompted this eagerness to start making some good chinese food.

I am even going to grow scallions and am picking my seeds up tomorrow.

Bought a meat grinder for pork and shrimp and will attempt to make a real eggroll as the two chinese places on the north coast are close but no cigar.

I am even buying the U.S beef in the Playero and starting to grind my own hamburgers.

I like what I like what can I say,

Compromise is not an option!

Last edited:

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
There is an end cap with Oriental products by the meat counter in the Playero in Sosua. Saw sauces not sure about spices.

Reactions: mike l

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
You can make it from scratch. For the recipe we use you need Star Anise, Fennel, Cinnamon, Cloves and Szechwan peppercorns. I know you can get the first 4 items here - the last one we bought in from the UK. There are a few different combinations online so you can try a few until you find the one you like best!

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I was going to make it myself but The Package arrived today as EPS got the info wrong as Customs has my MP3 player and are just trying to determine the value.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
There is an end cap with Oriental products by the meat counter in the Playero in Sosua. Saw sauces not sure about spices.

chinatown in SD has 3 supermercados with all the chinese cooking stuff you will ever need.....
bob