Cost of 14 days in cabarete?

TeamIssy

Feb 4, 2009
I'm currently planning a two week trip for summer of 2010 to Cabarete. A group of childhood friends and I are going over to have the time of our lives before we part ways going to college or into the workforce. I have been to Cabarete twice already, but always with my family so I never looked at the costs too much. After reflecting and asking my parents a bit, I came up with some rough estimates.

$25 USD per day per person for 2 meals a day at restaurants as well as drinks in the hotel room. Mostly eating at cheaper places, or dining based on good deals (cafe pitu's rasta pasta, Dominican special at LAX, etc.)

$20 per night per person for hotel room. Currently at around $19 (with tax) per person per night for a double on the main beach the various sans souci locations are looking good. Maybe rent a condo or apartment depending on number of people.

Please feel free to critique me on the prices, after all that's why I'm posting. I know its too early to plan specifics of the trip, but I want to give everybody I know who's interested a good figure so everyone has enough time to save up money from summer jobs, and wont have to cancel last minute.

Also I'm thinking the airfare from SEA to POP, will be around $650 from glancing at travel sites, but feel free to correct me on that as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mar 2, 2008
"A group of childhood friends and I are going over to have the time of our lives ....."

"$25 USD per day per person for 2 meals a day at restaurants as well as drinks in the hotel room.
$20 per night per person for hotel room."

I really don't think you are going to have the time of your lives with that kind of money. You might be able to pull it off, but "the time of your lives" deal is going to be a stretch.

I would put the figure at $100 US per day, and even then you might have to do without some of those times.

It is just my opinion, and obviously only you can decide how much you can spend, but what is the sense going for 'the time' when you won't have the means to attain it.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Depending on how many are going, you may want to rent a condo. Most 2 BR sleep 6. You can save money on food. Eat in most mornings. What you want can be done, but you have to work at it.

TeamIssy

Feb 4, 2009
I really don't think you are going to have the time of your lives with that kind of money. You might be able to pull it off, but "the time of your lives" deal is going to be a stretch.

Thanks, your definitely right about that one. And in all honestly I'm Romanticizing it a little too much, were probably not going to have an outstanding trip on funds like that. Then again most the people going wont really have anything to compare it to, so the bar is only set at better than a family vacation.

100 dollars a day is still cheap, although I think ill either need to shorten the length of the trip or find ways to bring the food bill down like making breakfast and lunch. But for the cost of a road trip staying at a motel 8 ill take Cabarete any day. I was lucky enough to say cost was closer to $1500, as opposed to the 1250 that I initially calculated to compensate for the uncertainty about the price of airfare.

Any suggestions on how much of the $100 per day i should plan on spending on what (hotel, food, assorted) would be appreciated, as well as any good threads about planning the costs of a trip would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 2, 2008
This is just my opinion, but I think you should spend a little more on your accommodations and plan to buy groceries for most of your meals.

Having everyone participate in preparing the meals can be very enjoyable if everyone helps out and you don't forget the beer and wine.

Then choose one or two nights to spend out on the town. And really plan where you want to go and what you want to do as a group.

The important thing is to enjoy each other's company. You enjoy a relaxing day at the beach for next to nothing, and you can take group walking tours for free.

Just don't expect a 5 star vacation on a 2 star budget. It sounds like you guys can make some compromises and still have a decent time.

Enjoy yourselves, and make the most of it. You're only young once.

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
This past August I stayed 3 days in Rio San Juan and 7 days in Cabarete in an oceanfront 3 bedroom, 3 bath condo. There was a total of 4 of us, although the condo could sleep 6 in the bedrooms, and possibly two more on the sectional sofa. We did what many are suggesting once we arrived at the condo, bought groceries and cooked breakfast, occasionally out at lunch and dinner, but mostly ate at the condo for lunches and most dinners and kept the freezer stocked with grande's, once we filled the crate we would take the empties back and re-stock. Airfare was around $430 pp roundtrip, the condo (at the Victorian) was $1100 for the week, the hotel was $35 a night in Rio San Juan, $450 for a rental car for the 10 days, and I think we spent around $500 per couple for everything else (gas, food, beer, food, and more beer). The condo was super nice, but I do not think we will be staying in Cabarete because we are not into windsurfing/kitesurfing. We prefer the beaches of Sosua Bay and Playa Caleton, but I am sure you will have a great time, it is all up to you and your friends to make it a great time! Let me know if you have any other questions.

K.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I was going to recommend Sans Souci, but see you already mentioned it. There you can stay near the beach, walk to everything in Cabarete for about $30-$40/night per room. Split 2 ways per room, that's only $15/night. May not have a/c at that price but clean & reasonably safe. I have friends that come & stay there year after year.

$25/day to eat. Yes. Even at restaurants if you pick the right ones & the right items. Big pizza at Jose O'Shays about US$6. Elsewhere the same or less. Dominican specials (chicken/rice/beans) for $4. Pitu, Lax... you have the right idea.

Your budget is doable, at least right now early 2009.

Middle aged, I wouldn't want to do it - I'd like more comfort.
In my teens or twenties, he** yeah!

Do a little more research to pick right hotel/condo... and have fun!

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Hotel Paraiso Tropical en Cabarette is pretty decent for an all-inclusive, right on the beach and runs about $50 a day. That might be the most bang for your buck and it's MUCH nicer than most all-inclusives.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
I have been thinking about asking this for a while

It may fit into this thread.
The German rest called Hexenkessel on the the main road used to off a pay in advance discount for X number of specials (they have a dinner special each day) does anyone know the current details on how many? how much? is it currently available?
As I recall it was a very good deal for some very hearty meals.
May be a budget stretcher?

Last edited:

TeamIssy

Feb 4, 2009
Just a little update. Decided to cut the trip down in length to 7-10 days (depending on cheapest travel) and bump the hotel and food costs up to 75 per day, after many hours of research into other hotels and concluding that the sans souci hotels were a good bet (we wouldn't have to pay for a double bed that would only end up sleeping one person or share a double bed). The fact i couldn't seem to find any photos of the hotel rooms worried me, and i continued to search for competition in that price range. I finally found a picture of the rooms in the sans souci family of hotels albeit a 2 very small ones, but its a done deal in my mind. They were definitely worth $20-25 US a night (rates with 26% taxes included) for a beachfront hotel.

Still leaving 50- 55 dollars per person for food drinks and alcohol.
We would still be bargain hunting , and eating a light breakfast from the bakery($3?), but we could eat 2 meals a day at restaurants for 25 dollars and even have a beverage or two with the meals. Most alcohol consumed would be bought in stores instead of bars.I would be surprised if anyone attending could go through bottle of brugal (~$3) and 2 liters worth of cola (~$2) and 3 grande presidentes (~$5) in a day. And figuring an additional 10 dollars a day for non alcoholic beverages and store bought snacks seems generous (unless we need to buy our own water). still leaving between 5 and 10 dollars left for tobacco, a drink or 2 at a bar, or souvenirs. And near the end of the trip any remaining excess funds can be used for an excursion somewhere.

Let me know if any figures seem off, or something like that. And i have factored in an emergency and random surcharge fund into the total cost reported to those considering going.

Mar 2, 2008
I think that sounds like a very workable plan.

My only other suggestion is to have some money set aside for emergencies.

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
Funds for an emergency is very important, considering in my post I forgot to mention the $40 we had to pay the police in Cabarate for the towing fee because our car got towed. Imagine that happening... coming back to where your car was parked, or where you thought you parked and then after you are finished panicking you finally figure out the car was towed. As for your alcohol consumption, I am not a rum drinker and I agree that would be enough, but 3 grandes in a day? Ice cold and going down oh so smoothly, you might want to recalculate the grande consumption to more like 3 grandes every couple of hours... But then again, you know your group the best! Bottoms up...

K.

TeamIssy

Feb 4, 2009
As for your alcohol consumption, I am not a rum drinker and I agree that would be enough, but 3 grandes in a day?
Very good point, I think for the heavier drinkers in the group (which isn't heavy by means) Ill warn them about bringing along more money for beer, luckily most them wont mind rum. I think 1 guy in particular will likely find him self with a lot of left over money for booze, as he seems to get somewhat drunk after 3 or 4 light beers.

Also having emergency funds is very important, i figure that if everyone has 50-100 planned into their budget, that will be $400+ already anticipated to be spend so if someone gets mugged or needs to see the doctor we wont be in big trouble, and if its serious between the ATM and the Bank we can likely figure something out.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Bring a credit card. ServeMed. is in the middle of town for Medical and Dental emer., but they will want cash or card. Just a suggestion.