Dominican Government allows food imports to counter gouging

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I found the following curious....

SANTO DOMINGO. - Industry and Commerce minister Jose Ramon Fadul yesterday announced that the government already authorized the import of staple foods to counter gouging by some businesses.

Now I though that DR-CAFTA was supposed to have cemented free trading and open up Dominican markets. Why the authorization for imports when that treaty was signed and passed two years ago to deal with just that.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...rnment-allows-food-imports-to-counter-gouging

On a related matter, the web site of the Office of the Secretary of Industry and Commerce has a poll were folks are asked pertinent questions about economic matters. One of these questions is " Do you support the importation of food items to confront the high prices".

So far the populace says yes by 79%. Makes sense to me.

1. ?Apoya Ud. que se importen alimentos para enfrentar los precios altos?
S?

N?mero de respuestas27 Porcentaje de respuestas(79%)

No

N?mero de respuestas7 Porcentaje de respuestas(21%)

Total: 34

Sobre si apoya Ud. que se importen alimentos para enfrentar los precios altos

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
A.Hidalgo, you might find this GAIN report interesting and I think justifies your observation (concern?) about that newspaper article.

Overall, the food laws in the Dominican Republic have not restricted trade for U.S. products. The DR-CAFTA agreement in March 1, 2007 provides that the country will make public its laws, regulations, procedures and administrative rulings of general application respecting any matter covered by the Agreement (CAFTA_DR Layman’s Guide, USAID). It is believed that the Agreement will help the country to streamline procedures and update legislation which should facilitate trade for all partners.
Source: http://www.fas.usda.gov/gainfiles/200708/146291999.pdf

NotLurking

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It sounds like a good idea in theory, but I don't see a lot of gouging by the local colmados, etc. I have seen it in the larger chains and also some supers, but no doubt most of it would be by the suppliers.

Maybe by having some of these products available the local mfgr's of these products might feel the heat and lower their prices.