Canadian in Puerto Plata Jail...

edm7583

May 29, 2007
wow. What a sensationalist rag this paper must be. "I did not want to commit this crime but I felt I had no choice." This article totally focuses on his alleged "inhumane treatment" yet it dances around the central question- Did he do the crime for which he was convicted?! If yes, the sentence actually seems surprisingly light. Trafficking in over a kilo of cocaine would get you far worse in the US, and in many parts of the world, he'd be hanged! I'm sorry, I have little sympathy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am not surprised at all. I have seen tourists and expats buying drugs here, ask questions about trafficking drugs, smoke pot openly and even growing pot at home and having Dominicans take care of it while they go visit USA.
I have had foreigners try to sell me fake dollars selling property that doesn't belong to them etc etc.
There are some seriously criminal minded people visiting this country.
Oh and not to mention: so many foreigners come here looking to have sex with minors.
This is another case where the person claims his innocence.
AZB

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I have to agree that he got off light. From what I have heard, you are likely to serve more time for drugs than for murder.

If he is innocent, I feel bad. He should have gone to the authorities if his life was in danger.

Reactions: Malibook

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I am not surprised at all. I have seen tourists and expats buying drugs here, ask questions about trafficking drugs, smoke pot openly and even growing pot at home and having Dominicans take care of it while they go visit USA.
I have had foreigners try to sell me fake dollars selling property that doesn't belong to them etc etc.
There are some seriously criminal minded people visiting this country.
Oh and not to mention: so many foreigners come here looking to have sex with minors.
This is another case where the person claims his innocence.
AZB

he's screwed and will need to be tough in he wants to make it. I was actually watching the program " locked up abroad" last night. People need to be really careful when visiting another country.

the country has so many beautiful things to offer, why bother with illegal things that can bring you trouble..I don't get it

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you read the readers' letters by relatives who visited, the scenario they describe about visiting doesn't bear much relation to feedback I've had recently from other foreign visitors to that same jail. All the recent reports I've had say how much the visiting arrangements have improved over what we all knew many years ago. In fact someone I know who visited a friend of hers who is a prisoner a few months back, actually bumped into what sounds to be the mother and aunt of this Canadian. She was involved in helping to translate for them since they had no Spanish and no translator with them. No wanting to be unsympathetic but after 11 visits you would have thought the necessity for some Spanish or a translator when visiting the jail would have become obvious by now.

Btw the 2 French girls in Rafey Women's prison got 8 years - again a recent case.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
he's screwed and will need to be tough in he wants to make it. I was actually watching the program " locked up abroad" last night. People need to be really careful when visiting another country.

the country has so many beautiful things to offer, why bother with illegal things that can bring you trouble..I don't get it

i would say people just should not do illegal things in any country, specially not in countries where jail time is well known not served with a cable TV connection in their private cell.

If you read the readers' letters by relatives who visited, the scenario they describe about visiting doesn't bear much relation to feedback I've had recently from other foreign visitors to that same jail. All the recent reports I've had say how much the visiting arrangements have improvedover what we all knew many years ago. In fact someone I know who visited a friend of hers who is a prisoner a few months back, actually bumped into what sounds to be the mother and aunt of this Canadian. She was involved in helping to translate for them since they had no Spanish and no translator with them. No wanting to be unsympathetic but after 11 visits you would have thought the necessity for some Spanish or a translator when visiting the jail would have become obvious by now.

Btw the 2 French girls in Rafey Women's prison got 8 years - again a recent case.

yeap Ginnie,
and our Isle's jails get new ones in several times each month, like the jails of other countries, some of those drug traffickers get sorrily uncaught away with their mayor crime, some get luckily caught in a country where they can serve some 'clinic time' for their mentally illness, some get caught right here where they get what they deserve.
without real details about the specific canadian's case i will not comment on him in detail, would be just guessing. but to feel 'threatened' like that guy felt by description of that canadian paper there should be by today the 'threatened' persons and stand up for him, or do they get threatened till today?
and that canadian newspaper said all that been done by a friend of his.
sorry, if that is all about the facts and his 'saying' that he is innocent, why the heck he got only such a low jail time for the capital crime he commited? and the paper calls that 'unknown' one a friend of his, good for a laugh.
that this Island's jails are not the most comfortable ones on the globe is not some kind of news, such save's the tax payers the costs to put cable TV and room service on the menue for the convicts who serve what they deserve.
we have sorrily every day of the year drugtraffickers like him trying and often sorrily successfully passing our airport checks,
if i would be president we would hang 'em all.
just my 2 cents,
but the drug guys are for our world's society and specially for our youngguns on the streets worse than any war in history ever been.
free the illegally and falsely accused prisoners of Guantanamo Bay/Camp Delta 1, but heck, don't dare to free the drug-trash once you have them in custody.
Mike

papinice88

Jul 20, 2007
If you can't do the time don't do the crime
in the USA he would be doing 20 years
he got over with 5 years for trafficking drugs
tell him to save his story and do the 5 years like a man

Reactions: MikeFisher

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
What he said.

This kid's story has so many holes in it, it could be used for a colander.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if his "internet setup" business trip was really two weeks of bikinis, beaches and brugal, followed by the "I know a really easy, can't-miss way of making sure you can live like a rock star forever" speech.

And Mike, nobody's suggesting the detainees at Gitmo should be summarily set free. They're saying that we should try them and either convict them or let them go, and not simply keep them in a cage "just because."

In the US, that particular law is a big deal, even if you're a Republican.

DRob:glasses: