Melia Hotel with a guest

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
I am planning on staying at the Melia Hotel and I am booking a room for two. If I put my girlfriend's name on the register can she check in after I get there or does she have to be there when I check in? Thanks in advance!

Feb 7, 2007
This is 2 year old info. If your GF is Dominican, then she's got to be there at check in. And every time she goes up the elevators she will be hassled to identify herself and her name will be checked against the list. The people there are real "abusadores". I no longer stay in Melia SD and never will.

Reactions: acmike

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Thanks Rubio

That is what I was concerned about. I ll find another place to stay.

Feb 7, 2007
If you want a hotel comparably priced and about the same level, book the Clarion on Tiradentes. If you want something on Malecon, book the Napolitano. In both of them you can register her at check in without her being present, and she will have no problem accessing the room even on her own.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks Rubio! I will check those out.
Hotel Mercure has been very accomodating as well. When I check in, I give them a photo copy of her cedula that they attach to the room file, and they give me an additional room key. We've never had an issue entering or leaving the hotel together or solo....

bubba153

Jan 24, 2009
Hi,
I was just at the Melia last week for 2 days. I was told that if i did not register my friend when i registered then she would not be able to go to the room. They have a security guard at the elevator and you need a room key to make the elevator work.
my friend didnt have her passport with her as i didnt tell her to bring it when she picked me up at the airport. I just wanted her to me able to use the pool and to take a rest after sightseeing but they said no.
It was assumed that she was a hooker and i was the john when she walked in the hotel with me and it made me sad to have her viewed that way.
overall nice hotel and would go back
hope this helps
Wayne

DBU

Jan 17, 2009
I had no problems at Courtyard by Marriott on Maximo Gomez (near US Embassy). I checked in alone and simply gave them my GF's name at that time. Two keys and no hassles, although my GF later stated that she felt uncomfortable going past the front desk.

Feb 7, 2007
These hotels are OK to bring your GF you register at check in (I don't do hookers, so cannot say 100% it's the same)
Most of the hotels I describe from the observations, even though I have stayed at all of them

Hilton - at check in ONLY / not required to be present / will have to submit cedula later
Jaragua - at check in ONLY / not required to be present / will have to submit cedula later
Melia - at check in ONLY, presence required, and security is very nasty to Dom girls
Mercure - check in and later
Hodelpa - check in and later
Marriot - check in and later
Napolitano - check in and later
Palacio - check in and later
Embajador - at check in ONLY / not required to be present / will have to submit cedula later
Clarion - check in MOSTLY / not required to be present / will have to submit cedula later (check in later - if really GF, no probs if she does not look like a hooker)
Sofitel Frances - check in ONLY, required presence

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Thanks

Thanks for all the great info. I ended up staying at the Palacio. There was no problem whatsoever. I arrived and booked the room for 2 and they gave me 2 key cards. She arrived an hour later and they did not even ask her for an ID. She was able to come and go as she pleased.

pholness

Jul 5, 2009
Can anyone confirm that the Hotel Napolitano allows dominican or any other guests AND DOES NOT CHARGE EXTRA?

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
I stayed at Melia last week w/ a trigenia (sp) Dominican GF. She was present at checkin and I had absolutely no problems what so ever. The staff and security were very professional and treated her with the utmost respect. Always said hello and not once questioned her even when she walked in by herself.

Rubio...
Maybe they took note to your complaints and addressed them to the staff. It may be worth giving them another shot if you like the hotel. It was the best priced out of all the high end hotels at $89 night and around $115 after taxes.