I'm moving to POP and would like to live in Montellanos

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Markf128

I'm moving to POP for 6 months and I would like a one bedroom condo to live in somewhere in Monterllanos. Does anybody know about an expa community in Monetallnos and how much the rent runs for?

M

Markf128

casita.jpg

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
If that's ocean view, I'd say somewhere around........................... 4,000 pesos

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
And that place looks Guest Friendly........The price just went up for everything:ermm::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

M

Markf128

frente-play.jpg

Calle Principal

Correction, the name of this place is Monte Llano. My bad!

M

Markf128

Ocean View? Not sure if you mean a place with an ocean view or it is the name of the complex? Yet, I find 4,000.00 to be fine. 6,000.00 is a little too much for a one bedroom condo. Can anyone tell me about how much utilities run per month? By the way, thanks for all your info.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Does anybody know about an expa community in Monetallnos

:laugh::laugh: Love the sense of humour Markf128. Regret to inform you that the 'expat community' in Montellano, which was never exactly jumping in the first place, suffered a depletion of three in December last.
La Rep?blica - Apresan ingleses en finca

You'll find Montellano news and info here:
Pagina nueva 1

portada-montellano.net

and particularly on the expat community's bulletin board ;)
COSAS DE MONTELLANO

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Mark,

Sorry to tell you but there are no condos in Monte Llano. The community is populated by mostly Dominicans and some Haitians. My husband is from there and despite the fact that many expats think Monte Llano is a hole, I quite like the place and my huband and I have many friends there. Although you will find a few people that speak English in Monte Llano (mostly those that work in the surrounding hotels or tourist industry), if you are not proficient in Spanish, it will be difficult. Also, it is about a 10 minute drive to the nearest beach. It would be very affordable though if you think you would enjoy living there - you could likely rent a whole house for about 5,000 pesos and there are a few cute little authentic and cheap restaurants in town, along with a couple of little markets, butcher shop, seafood market, etc. Basically, if you will be living with or with the help of a Dominican family, it could be done but if you just want to move in and set up shop, you may feel isolated from POP, Sosua and the expat community in general.

Reactions: mountainannie

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Oh,Ohh.....The Hatians and locals will be upset knowing that there affordable rents will be seeing an immediate increase, due to the, Looking For Low Budget Living gringo's, putting a bum rush on the place................

Darn, a whole house for less than $200.00 ...........

M

Markf128

Mark,

Sorry to tell you but there are no condos in Monte Llano. The community is populated by mostly Dominicans and some Haitians. My husband is from there and despite the fact that many expats think Monte Llano is a hole, I quite like the place and my huband and I have many friends there. Although you will find a few people that speak English in Monte Llano (mostly those that work in the surrounding hotels or tourist industry), if you are not proficient in Spanish, it will be difficult. Also, it is about a 10 minute drive to the nearest beach. It would be very affordable though if you think you would enjoy living there - you could likely rent a whole house for about 5,000 pesos and there are a few cute little authentic and cheap restaurants in town, along with a couple of little markets, butcher shop, seafood market, etc. Basically, if you will be living with or with the help of a Dominican family, it could be done but if you just want to move in and set up shop, you may feel isolated from POP, Sosua and the expat community in general.

Fiesta Mama,

Thanks you very much for kind advice. I ask about montellanos because one of my friend who is American lives in the area with his dominican girlfriend. From what he told me, it seems that they are building new townhouses for rent and they seem to be very nice. I do speak Spanish and it would not be an issue for me to be way form the expas. I just don't want to move to Sosua or Puerto Plata. I don't like the environment in those two places that much.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
who on earth said it was a hole- its has nice areas and flower beds etc sport facilities,shops, train (it doesnt move lol)- the bit near the river is a little run down though ahem and probably washed away again by now

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
One of my ex-friends had a small 1st floor loft apt., I had to turn sideways to get to squeeze into her bathroom...........But the rent was very reasonable, like $ 50.00 US.... I just felt a little bit uncomfortable, going there at night, because she lived behind some Haitians, who sometimes bring there work tools home ( mashette ):surprised:surprised

Just me being paranoid...........:paranoid::paranoid:

M

Markf128

Machetes...No problem...I'm not worry about a couple of Haitianos con machestes...I seen worst on the streets of Miami.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, who said it was a hole? It has a vibrant community spirit, just doesn't happen to be expat community spirit. The few expats living there have integrated, speak Spanish etc. Then you get some foreign volunteers staying there for short periods.

In town itself there are all the usual services, schools, a hospital, city hall, police station, community centre, sports facilities, cemetery, shops, colmados. In the countryside outside of the town not all places will have running water.

Isn't the first picture you posted Jose Cambier's family home, markf128? If it is you can read about the family here:
Pagina nueva 1

augustus, we all have machetes here, regardless of nationality. Doubles up when you can't find your carving knife or nail file.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Fiesta Mama,

Thanks you very much for kind advice. I ask about montellanos because one of my friend who is American lives in the area with his dominican girlfriend. From what he told me, it seems that they are building new townhouses for rent and they seem to be very nice. I do speak Spanish and it would not be an issue for me to be way form the expas. I just don't want to move to Sosua or Puerto Plata. I don't like the environment in those two places that much.

Well it sounds like you would be just fine. You will see what Dominican life is really like, which is why I like it there. It's a relaxed, down to earth place to live or to spend time having a few Presidentes while talking to friends or playing dominos, etc. I have spent a lot of time in the town (now we live out of the country but return regularly and stay there on vacation) and I have never felt in danger (although I do keep my wits about me at night). I have never been in the Haitian neighbourhoods that some have mentioned so I can't really speak to the safety of those areas but, in general, you will not feel in danger in Monte Llano. I should mention that unless you have a invertor or generator, the blackouts are long and often. That's just part of life though and the locals take it in stride.

M

Markf128

Life is so funny sometimes. I met a Dominican yesterday who lives here in the states and we were talking about life in the DR. He explained to me how difficult is living in the DR for the average Dominicano and why most of them want to come to the U.S. From my end, I tried to explain why most of us want to move to the DR. Dominicans want what we have in the states, and we want what they have in the DR.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Life is so funny sometimes. I met a Dominican yesterday who lives here in the states and we were talking about life in the DR. He explained to me how difficult is living in the DR for the average Dominicano and why most of them want to come to the U.S. From my end, I tried to explain why most of us want to move to the DR. Dominicans want what we have in the states, and we want what they have in the DR.

Not exactly. Dominicans would like what their perception of the US is, from far away. It's a very blurred and distorted image. Just as many Americans and European believe they'd want what they think the DR is about, which may just be as far from reality.

Montellano is a town which had it's days when the sugar cane plant was alive. These days are however long gone. It's populated by lots of people, Haitian and Dominican alike who couldn't move away or still try to put the sugar cane fields on fire once a year in a desperate effort to force a harvest... in vain. Others "work" in and around Sousa... few in the hotel "industry".
Townhouses? Forget about it. It's not Miami.
Bad? I would not say it's all bad, but certainly not ideally advisable for the "entry" level expat with no strong local ties, IMHO. And the one friend who is telling stories about condos and / or townhouses in Montellano does not seem to qualify as that strong local tie.

Visit first, before having plans about moving here or wire over any down payments on ocean view condos in downtown Montellano.
It's certainly a beautiful country but one where dreamers seem to find that their dream can pretty quickly become a nightmare.

... J-D.

M

Markf128

J D thanks for your good recommendations. By all means, I do plan to visit the area and become more familiar with the place before I make any decisions to move in. I'm just trying to find an area away from Sosua where I can stay for six months. Now, I'll be doing business in Sosua. Thus, I don't want to be too far away from that area. Where do most expas live around Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.