collecting Rainwater

dos amigos

Oct 18, 2008
We are looking at collecting rainwater into our cistern rather than bringing water in trucks. Is this a good idea and if so are there any kinds of systems we should be looking at like filtration for example. We will not be using it for drinking or cooking.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Every home in Bermuda collects rainwater....via roof and then to a filtration system then to a storage unit.

That is one of the things I loved about living there. The water was so soft...my hair and skin were so healthy.

Feb 7, 2007
I collect rainwater in my house. I live in Higuey. I had to buy 2 trucks of water recently as it has been dry dry dry. When we had tropical storm Noel a year and a half ago, my cistern (takes 2 truckloads of water) filled up in 1 day.

oldislandman

Sep 1, 2002
It is such a shame to see all of the rainwater wasted here. In the 15 years I lived in the Virgin Islands, I collected rain from the roof and had the benefits of soft water. Add that to the fact that I never had to purchase water.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
My father in law collects the rain from the roof
he has a 45 gallon drum
under the end of the gutter

then he puts muslin on the end of the gutter as a filter

and then puts it into another two 45 gallon drum,s

:bunny:If you can not understand this,
send me the air fair and i will sort it for you
donaldduck.gif

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
iI used to collect it in uk for watering the garden - it stunk ti high heaven in the summer- no idea why

by the way does anyone know anything about filtration - I have an unused well which is high in some sort of salt - it broke most pumps and corroded taps - is there anyway to make it useable (preferbly a cost effective way)

Dec 25, 2007
on the Big Island of Hawaii alot of people catch rainwater. Most do not filter it. They add clorine once a month and make sure they keep a cover over the tank. Many even perfer it over the county water system.

HRCSA News

oldislandman

Sep 1, 2002
The only reason you would want to filter it is if you were planning on using it for cooking or drinking. Chlorine once a month is quite sufficient if you are using it for toilets and showers.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Rain collection tips

The only reason you would want to filter it is if you were planning on using it for cooking or drinking. Chlorine once a month is quite sufficient if you are using it for toilets and showers.

Rain collection is practiced for thousands of years...nothing new here.
Here are some tips;
1. Install a "rain delay" at the gutter intake. This will prevent collecting the first 10 minutes of rain water thus allowing the washing of the roof from debris, bird feces, moscitos, dust, pollution etc.
2. The systern MUST be totally sealed from sunlight and crawlers such as lizards, snakes, frogs etc. Dead animals will decay causing bad odor. The block of sunlight stops the algae grow in the systern. A tablet of chlorine is essential to kill all remaining bacteria.
3. Every six months it is recommended to clean & disinfect the systern as well as the gutters from leaves & tree branches. To ensure good quality water the roof should be sealed with a marine sealant. This will eliminate the porous roof tiles or cement from accumulating bacteria.

Google "rainwater collection". There are a few good websites out there with good advise & tips about this project.

Georgios