car with driver a good option

chipsy

Feb 6, 2009
We (2 adults) will come to the Island for one week, and will be needing transport from Santo Domingo to La Romana, and stay there for 2 nights. Then travel for 2 nights to Punta Cana, and then for 2 nights to Las Terrenas. After that we go back to Santo Domingo for 1 night. Is it wise to rent a car and do this on our own, or is there a company that rents cars with drivers? Or is it maybe even cheaper to just get the transfers. I don't want to travel with Bus, because I want to be able to stop for sights along the way. I read that the drive from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas will be a long and not too easy drive. And I guess this is my only concern for a simple rental car. I guess there is no GPS map out there. Any advice? Or contacts? Thanks for any help.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
We (2 adults) will come to the Island for one week, and will be needing transport from Santo Domingo to La Romana, and stay there for 2 nights. Then travel for 2 nights to Punta Cana, and then for 2 nights to Las Terrenas. After that we go back to Santo Domingo for 1 night. Is it wise to rent a car and do this on our own, or is there a company that rents cars with drivers? Or is it maybe even cheaper to just get the transfers. I don't want to travel with Bus, because I want to be able to stop for sights along the way. I read that the drive from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas will be a long and not too easy drive. And I guess this is my only concern for a simple rental car. I guess there is no GPS map out there. Any advice? Or contacts? Thanks for any help.

Quite frankly, if I had only a week I would probably look at going to either Las Terrenas or Punta Cana on another trip. While it is not as long a drive from Punta Cana to LT as it used to be (with the new toll road) you will still spend the best part of a day (6-7 hours)getting there. From the SDQ airport to La Romana is only a little over an hour. From La Romana to Punta Cana about 2 hours. While you will certainly encounter potholes between La Romana and Punta Cana, and again on the last leg of the trip across the mountains to Las Terrenas, a "simple rental car" should be suffecient if you keep your eyes peeled for the bigger holes.

It is certainly possible to hire a car and driver, but it will cost substantially more than a rental, (and don't let anyone tell you differently.) As far as whether it is advisable to drive or not, that has been the subject of long and heated debate on this board. My position is.... it depends on the person, their experience (both as a driver and a traveler), and level of confidence in their own abilities. I personally trust myself more than any hired driver I've never met, regardless of how well recommended they may be.

chipsy

Feb 6, 2009
I am new to this board, and sorry if I ask stupid questions, or don't post it right. We need to do this travel for photography, and we need to hit these spots, since we need to shoot there. I know a week is short, but what can you do. It is a business trip, but the money comes out of our pocket anyway. -I did not know that there is a new road. We drove once from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata, but stayed overnight in Santo Domingo. I don't worry about holes and cows. It is the distance and driving time I am not sure. Is there any GPS map for a TomTom? That would make it easier to find the way.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
OK, gotcha. It can be done. Just count on a 6-7 hour trip from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas. Before they opened the new toll road that would have been about 10 hours plus. No GPS maps available for the DR yet.

chipsy

Feb 6, 2009
This is very helpful. 6-7 hours is not a whole lot. I guess I will find the road on a newer map? Is it short cutting Santo Domingo? Thanks a lot.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
This is very helpful. 6-7 hours is not a whole lot. I guess I will find the road on a newer map? Is it short cutting Santo Domingo? Thanks a lot.

Yes, as you are heading West from La Romana on the South coast highway, you will connect with it just after you pass the SDQ airport. Santo Domingo and Santiago are completely bypassed. You meet the North Coast highway near Nagua.

May 5, 2007
Gps

This was posted only a couple days past by the board Administrator, don't know if they are for rent or sale only but they are pretty cheap these days to buy

Ola te guia, Primer solucion GPS en republica dominicana

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
its about 2 hrs from las americas to cabrera on the new highway.....from punta cana to las terrenas about 3.5 and if you stop a few times add an hour....but its do-able

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
its about 2 hrs from las americas to cabrera on the new highway.....from punta cana to las terrenas about 3.5 and if you stop a few times add an hour....but its do-able

:confused: OK, I know your board name is "hammerdown", but you didn't really just tell us it's 3.5 hours from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, did you? It takes about that long to get to the SDQ airport from PC, and about the same from the airport to Las Terrenas using the new toll road. Close to 7 hours total.

chipsy

Feb 6, 2009
hey you all, thanks for the help. I also looked at that GPS link. It might be worth trying it out. Has anybody used it already?

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
i did something similiar years ago and hired a car w/driver. a us guy private insisted on him raising the minimums on his ins. policy and wanted to see it. paid him every morning after a half days deposit. i paid for fuel. i had a blast. did it cost me more??? sure.. did i think it was expensive. no way.. in fact he stayed in other places , only one night in the same hotel. it was bis. and when you are ready for things you pay. this was before pay pal and i came prepared. did i loose money$$ no.. i spent some... do i remember how much? no> worth it . sure. some taxi drivers are learning. dont overcharge. get repeat bisness. my friend uses the same guy all the time. evan sends him on errands. guy takes care of the errand and charges almost the same as cab fare. of course hes an american guy who thinks time. $$$ what wood it co$t me in boston. cheap here driver and car in n.y. 300$ here much less...figure it??? of course his dom. wife says why do you pay so much when my brother cousin friend could do it cheaper... he laughs...