Emergency cheap, temporary housing in Santo Domingo

maritbeato33

Aug 24, 2008
SOS!
I just arrived in Santo Domingo 3 days ago from Miami, planning on retiing here.....I?m staying at a hotel in Gazcue and have been looking at several studios and rooms to rent, but have not had any luck so far. To top it all off, my identity was stolen when I used my debit card at a Banco Popular ATM, as a result of which I?ve lost most of the money in my bank, I?m down to about $600. Does anybody know of a cheap, cheap place to move to while I look for a permanent place to rent, one that possibly does not require a contract or fiador or anything like that that I can hold on to with just $600 until I get my retirement check again on March 1st? Please any creative idea would be appreciated, as I?m new here and know no one here who could help me and I?m desperate for help and scared. I?m a single, retired former female journalist from Miami in my 50?s. Also, can anyone tell me where do Americans live o gather here?

Heraldwoman

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Check you PM,s

I sent you a private message..

Thanks, Lambada, for that information about the US Embassy.

Also - assuming that you have a credit card besides the bank card that was hacked into, you can get a cash advance at most banks from VISA or MC using your passport.

You do have another credit card, don't you? Please say yes.

Don't panic.

Worse comes to worse, just tell them you LOVE it at the hotel, stay where you are and run up the bill until your money comes in.

I was trapped at a little hotel in Costa Rica once because the car rental place had put a $1000 hold on my credit card and had to wait for funds to be wired from the US.

As long as they have you- they aren't worried.

And you can eat just fine here on lots less than $600.

Tranquilla.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
as I?m new here and know no one here who could help me and I?m desperate for help and scared.

Did you get the problem sorted maritbeato33? Were the Embassy able to assist? I'm a bit concerned that given the tone of your words above, you haven't returned to the thread but I guess you've had other priorities. Please let us know.

carrie

Sep 16, 2004
maritbeato33

i used a Banco Popular ATM and my card was cloned and there were charges. The bank did a thorough investigation and my money was returned. Took about 4 weeks. You have to fill out forms from your bank explaining and signing and you can fax the form to the bank.

You indicate your identity cards and atm card were stolen - have you contacted your bank. They have safeguards in place for just this type of problem.

And yes please let us know you are okay.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I did not get a response from the OP either to the PM I sent or on my cell number which I gave her. Hope she is ok? Check back with us, OK, Maritza?

Strange, mountainannie. You'd have thought someone 'desperate for help & scared' would have responded as soon as they received a lifeline. This isn't Maritza Beato is it, the Cuban American journalist described as a fearless denouncer of exiled felons?
Miami News - A Felony with That Croqueta? - page 1

If it is, her original post doesn't really make sense. Fluent Spanish, not scared to speak out, the issue described would be but a minor glitch. H'mmm.

What's going on Maritza? Are you OK? (that is if it is Maritza & not someone trying to discredit her).