watchman or alarmo

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
is a trained dog.. this is and has been proven. when i left the country and paid for boarding my edificio has always been robbed. bicycles, car radios, apts.. the kids cried for a week or two until they realized that popi was not buying another bike... the husband paid dearly for the jeepetas new radio and broken window. the apt that was burgled tenant was happy that they had to leave the same way they came in because of key inside and key outside locks... everyone knows that a delivery man is there, meter reader mail delivery person etc. tenants do not get barked at as they are known... the tenants complain when the foreigner hangs his clothes on the balcon like an animal. but never a complaint about the free watch dog. come to think of it nobody ever gives food for the dog... wierd?? or just that they dominicans dont really like big dogs as other cultures do.... you wood laugh when i walk her. like moses parting the sea.... she passes thru crowds like a hot knife thru butter... you dont have to ask anyone to move...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dogs are great except if they really want to rob you,they will poison your dog then rob you.

Very true, we lost a beautiful boxer at our house in Najayo Beach to poisoned meatballs a few years ago. They didn't rob the house, but cleaned out the property of all the fruits and veggies that were there - killed her for maybe $50 worth of stuff. And my mother-in-law's rottweiler was poisoned in December, she lives in Santo Domingo. She was heartbroken, we bought her a new puppy for Christmas.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
poisen awareness..

i know... im also in a well populated area. and like most dogs she works nights. stays on the balcon most nights working... im also aware of that poison bis. have to get a non eating muzzle for all dogs on patrol.. they can bark but not scarf down food they are not supposed to....

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
you can teach a dog to refuse food

even a steak

takes a stranger and 5 minutes to teach the dog this

Greetings

Johan

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
lessons to be learned

want to share this info as ive had my dog awhile and am constantled unsettled about this. thank you

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
You'll have a better chance of not beeing rob if you surround your self with some "vodoo" tricks or symboles"?
locals are not affraid to guns or get kill .But they will not toutch any things that's vodoo related .And teatch your dogs not to eat from strangers ,don't use them as Pets but body guard!!
Vodooists do not challenge their kinds. "it's sucidel !!"
good luck!! adopt a new religion?? ha!ha! it's not a joke!!ha!ha!

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
you can teach a dog to refuse food

even a steak

takes a stranger and 5 minutes to teach the dog this

Greetings

Johan

Well yes, this works for poison like salami with 'tres pasito' but it wont work for a '#8 concrete block dropped on the dog's head as was done to my mom's Dalmatian that killed him instantly about three years ago. From my experience, the best watch dogs are small dogs, like Chihuahua, that you keep INSIDE the house with you and bark like crazy when they hear any little thing.

NotLurking

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Well yes, this works for poison like salami with 'tres pasito' but it wont work for a '#8 concrete block dropped on the dog's head as was done to my mom's Dalmatian that killed him instantly about three years ago. From my experience, the best watch dogs are small dogs, like Chihuahua, that you keep INSIDE the house with you and bark like crazy when they hear any little thing.

NotLurking

so do big dogs and it is up to you to listen and hear the difference between the different barks

and yes the small ones are also
great

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
warned

by the neighbors, sometimes i let the dog stay on a rope in the lower parking area which is not being used. all of a sudden it is against the rules... i am also guilty of hanging my sheets on the balcony.. raining for a week. emergency . i respond i have asked you not to put flowers on the balcony as this attracts thieves.. she goes away...i have also told others (in jest) that the children are not to play in the parking lot as this is for car parking and take your kid to the park... neighbors!!!!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I prefer the chihuahuas, low maintenance, picky eaters, and they bark at their own shadow

I have a Terrier, Poodle Delincuente mix that's a great little watchdog. My neighbors gave me a Chihuahua that didn't bark at all. I thought he was mute. Now when there is someone outside the house that he doesn't know he takes his cue from the terrrier and they both go ballistic.

A Chihuahua who only barks when necessary is worth his weight in gold, three pounds of gold in this case.

IMO wachidoggies are the way to go. They work when the lights go out. :p

Mar 2, 2008
Watch dogs certainly are great, and they are also very good friends, some of the most loyal friends anyone could ever ask for.

I have a 140 pound rottie up here, but unfortunately he is too old to make the move. I'm not sure I could even find another dog quite like Sammy.

He's smart as a whip, and he knows immediately if it's friend or foe. He gets an instant read on people, and has no fear whatsoever. But he is also the gentlest dog in the world with small animals.

It's cute to see him play with puppies or kittens. He takes so much crap from them, and wouldn't let anything happen to them. Then you should see him when someone he doesn't like tries to get close to me. He makes his point very clearly.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
dominican reverse play

the vecino told me im not allowed to keep my dog on a dog run in the seldom used lower courtyard. ok so i comply. now normally if edennorte workers come, they will not go down because of my dog. well theres no dog down there and they come. cut me off for being 10 days late. or they say two payments behind.. they want jan $$ in jan and feb $ in feb. and you are slated for cutting if any other way...ha ha ha, wife thinks i pay as im here and she normally pays. and no power and have a guest... st valentines day. hes got a date w/a beauty and has to come here to candlight. said it was romantic. power on at 11 a.m. guest gone by 2 pm

shadoo

Feb 28, 2009
buying a pooch

Can you buy a trained dog here. My wife has a private recouperation center or rest home and it might be best. Just pay for the trained dog. Anyone have a trained dog. i dont want to have an armed guard.
What to do

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Can you buy a trained dog here. My wife has a private recouperation center or rest home and it might be best. Just pay for the trained dog. Anyone have a trained dog. i dont want to have an armed guard.
What to do

Get a 'Watchy Man', arm him with a couple of stout bamboo poles & let him loose on all the baddies in your area!! :pirate: :pirate:

Guards are a lot cheaper to feed than dogs - trained or otherwise!! ~ Grahame. :cheeky: :chinese: :bunny::bunny:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
cameras everywhere

Put cameras everwhere, lots of them, with the blinking red lights. They dont all have to be working real cams. Put at least one high on a pole so your whole street is covered.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Put cameras everwhere, lots of them, with the blinking red lights. They dont all have to be working real cams. Put at least one high on a pole so your whole street is covered.

And lock them down well otherwise they will get pinched!
;)