Immigration marriage fraud

Jose_fr

Jan 6, 2007
Hi
I have a friend who married a guy from the DR. It looks like he married her just for his papers. Surprise surprise. My question is if she can prove he married only for papers can she get her marriage annuled and can he be deported from Canada? She has asked him for a divorce and he refuses. He only lived with her for a few months and left. His mistake was getting involved with another woman here and this oher woman has mad ehte mistake of saying yes he married her to get here so what. This has been documented. My friend has a lot of proof. She is too nice ( obviously why he took advantage of her) and may not want him deported but WE all do. Anyone have any advice ?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Unfortunately in Canada a marriage of convenience is not proper ground for annulment. There isn't a whole lot that can be done and it appears to be difficult to get a fraudulent leech ass spouse deported and striped of his status/privilege of living large in Canada. Have a look at the following link:
Stop Marriage Fraud - FAQ's

NotLurking

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi
This has been documented. My friend has a lot of proof. She is too nice ( obviously why he took advantage of her) and may not want him deported but WE all do. Anyone have any advice ?

Here is what is posted on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website;

Canada’s immigration system is also set up in a way that discourages marriages of convenience. Anyone who wants to sponsor their spouse or partner to immigrate to Canada makes a serious legal commitment. As part of this commitment, sponsors must support their spouse or partner for three years, even if the relationship fails. If the couple breaks up and the sponsored person gets social assistance, the sponsor must pay back the amount of social assistance the former spouse received. Given the legal obligations, sponsorship should not be taken lightly, and everyone is responsible for ensuring that their marriage is genuine.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada recognizes that even genuine marriages can fail. However, if a person enters into a marriage of convenience and comes to Canada as an immigrant, enforcement action can be taken.

This enforcement action could result in deportation, and is the responsibility of the Canada Border Services Agency.

and here is the link to that

Immigration Violations

That is what the law states but getting it enforced might be more difficult.

Good luck

Jose_fr

Jan 6, 2007
answers

My friends lawyer in our province states it is automatic, if the marriage is annuled then the spouse is deported. Grounds for annulment in this case are he lied about his education, he lied about being able to have children and promised my friend a family, he is on tape telling a friend he married her just to get his papers, My friend has an email from the woman he is living with that states he is in a relationship with her and he only married my friend to get to Canada, something about heir sex life that I do not want to get into, he made a report to the police that my friend was harrassing him, he says in the report that he never loved her, and he never really wanted to marry her( yes I know real smart guy hey) and he only lived with my friend for a few months and once she found him a good job he was gone. SO I do not think the annulment is going to be the problem.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Now let's hear his side of the story...Is your friend really harassing him? Dis she maybe become a b%tch or too controlling after he made it to Canada? did she maybe think that this was HER property because she helped him get papers? Let's remember that every story has three sides - Yours, Mine, and the truth which is somewhere in the middle...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
exactly Suarez,
and by the above description i wpuld wonder why that 'friend' anyways married him??
now she realized that she is not the only women on the planet for her Sankie and want's to get rid of him, you are kidding me.
great Point and info AnnaC,
in most countries the law shows up a minumum time period during which the citizen is responsible for upcoming costs of his a few weeks/months lasting love of the life, and that's good that way, otherwise the society/tax payer would need to pay for the stu... of Sankie supporters.
quote---
She is too nice ( obviously why he took advantage of her) and may not want him deported but WE all do. Anyone have any advice ?
i don't see something nice or TOO nice, and who is WE??
Mike<!-- / message -->

Jose_fr

Jan 6, 2007
well I would say it is pretty hard for my friend to be harrassing him when she does not even know where he lives. No you do not know the whole story and I did not want to get into all the details, I was jsut wondering if it was possible to have him deported or if anyone is or going through this. If you are please PM me so we can keep the negatives to a minimum.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
his story is on tape

Now let's hear his side of the story...Is your friend really harassing him? Dis she maybe become a b%tch or too controlling after he made it to Canada? did she maybe think that this was HER property because she helped him get papers? Let's remember that every story has three sides - Yours, Mine, and the truth which is somewhere in the middle...

From what I read, his story is already documented, on tape and in testimony to the police etc.

You may have a point in that people should start to think more objectively with their head instead of with their hormones - it really is silly to enter into a marriage after having known someone only 1-2 weeks and two charter tours to the Island, where everything is rosy and romantic, but that is a different subject of inaivity and gullability.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
My friends lawyer in our province states it is automatic, if the marriage is annuled then the spouse is deported. Grounds for annulment in this case are he lied about his education, he lied about being able to have children and promised my friend a family, he is on tape telling a friend he married her just to get his papers, My friend has an email from the woman he is living with that states he is in a relationship with her and he only married my friend to get to Canada, something about heir sex life that I do not want to get into, he made a report to the police that my friend was harrassing him, he says in the report that he never loved her, and he never really wanted to marry her( yes I know real smart guy hey) and he only lived with my friend for a few months and once she found him a good job he was gone. SO I do not think the annulment is going to be the problem.

An email from another woman wouldn't be proof. Maybe the tape would be of interest and the police report that he signed.

Can you get an annulment in Quebec with a deportation? That sounds strange, different parts of the legal code. Maybe it's the other way around, if you have an annulment based on fraud, then you can get a deportation?

By the way, didn't we give you information about this case before? Did your friend do anything? You have a good heart caring about your friend but she has to make her decisions and act in her own interests. She has a lawyer?

And yes, there are always three sides to every story. That's a good one!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi
I have a friend who married a guy from the DR. It looks like he married her just for his papers. Surprise surprise. My question is if she can prove he married only for papers can she get her marriage annuled and can he be deported from Canada? She has asked him for a divorce and he refuses. He only lived with her for a few months and left. His mistake was getting involved with another woman here and this oher woman has mad ehte mistake of saying yes he married her to get here so what. This has been documented. My friend has a lot of proof. She is too nice ( obviously why he took advantage of her) and may not want him deported but WE all do. Anyone have any advice ?

The best thing to do is for her to file for the divorce in Canada, on grounds of abandonment...

As far as dealing with Canadian immigration, tell her to move on and let the chips fall where they may. In 100% of this kind of things, the wrong party ends up paying dearly for it down the road. Why rush? Just let the train wreck play itself out and all due to his own actions.

The best thing for you and all those that feel just like you, is to redirect that feeling towards helping her fill the void and confusion left on his wake. Be there for her so she doesn't relent to him later on, as he's sure to come back to the safety of a real relationship when things go awry for him the other way.

By providing support to your friend, you'll be doing a much better job and service to her than by just trying to get him deported. All is going to happen if he gets deported, is that she'll eventually go back to him here in the DR (seen it too many times already).

Things have a way of working themselves up, down the path of time. He just dug his own trench and doesn't know it yet...

My two centavos...

Jose_fr

Jan 6, 2007
From what I read, his story is already documented, on tape and in testimony to the police etc.

You may have a point in that people should start to think more objectively with their head instead of with their hormones - it really is silly to enter into a marriage after having known someone only 1-2 weeks and two charter tours to the Island, where everything is rosy and romantic, but that is a different subject of inaivity and gullability.

My friend has been with him or over 5 years, they have been married for over 3 years, she has lived in the DR so please don't judge my friend and say she did this after knowing him for a week, and by the way he does not work at a resort

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
My friend has been with him or over 5 years, they have been married for over 3 years, she has lived in the DR so please don't judge my friend and say she did this after knowing him for a week, and by the way he does not work at a resort

You've been given plenty of info to pass on to your friend and now it's up to her to do something about it. We don't need all the personal details of their life, she needs a lawyer to take care of this which will cost her more money and heartache. Might be best to move on.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

now we are talking a completely different story.
you stated in the original post "she has only lived with him for a few months", sorry, but such leads to the 'guessing' that they did not know each others very well.
so they are together since many years, in such case i would see it nearly impossible to get a divorce with the reason of fraudulent marriage, just for the papers. after several years the 'talking' like "i just married you for the papers" would most likely get taken like so many phrases we humans use when angry. even on tape (the mentioned e-mail would anyways not be of any importance, such is much too easy to fake) i can not imagine that a judge would divorce a couple after years of marriage just for such talking within a angry discussion.
a fraudulent marriage could be assumed when just met each others, just married each others, just moved to canada together and WWuuuuppss, the lover just disappeared there.
Mike