Immigration/translation:Bob Saunders

J

jackie

Hi I am in the process of sponsering my husband over to Canada, and was reading the papers that he has to fill, they say that they have to be translated into english/french. Anyone who has done this did you get them translated or sent them in spanish? I am asuming that the only one that needs to be translated is the police record one correct? could some one please help me out with this ASAP......... Bob I believe you have your wife over how did that go and how long...........

B

bob saunders

It is necessary to have all documents translated from Spanish to English, birth certificate, marrige licence, police record...etc. If your husband is in one of the larger cities there are specific lawyers for this.( official translators) Make sure you keep a copy of everything in case the Embassy looses the application. Send everything Fedex. Good Luck. PS: Even though they will send him answers in Spanish they still make translation a requirement.

N

Natalie

I sponsored my husband about 2 years ago and I didn't
have to translate anything, it,s too bad they have changed the requirements, it just makes the whole process more time
consuming and costly. One bit of advice I do have is to
contact your MP's office, they have people working in the office
who can check on the status of your appers and even help speed
things up.

J

jbautist@rci.rogers.com

Hi Jackie,

My Dominican husband arrived in Canada October 1999.

The first set of paperwork immigration sent to us came from a Canadian immigration office and requested certified translations...to make a long story short, the embassy lost the first application. The second set of paperwork was sent to us directly from the embassy in Haiti and didn't require translations.

For anyone sponsoring their Dominican spouse to come to Canada, I highly recommend that you visit your local reference library and read the Immigration Manual. It's a handbook for immigration officials overseas to use as a reference. I also recommend you get your MP's office involved early. They can make a difference.

Jodi

K

Katia

Hi Jackie!

I agree with Jodi. I am in the process of having my Dominican husband come to Canada. I actually spoke to an agent at the Embassy in Haiti last Friday and they were really nice (weird as that sounds!). Also, I was told by friends of mine (Jodi, you know I'm talking about you) that they had a hard time getting straight answers from the Embassy. Now I know why, they don't speak English. Thank God my mother tongue is French. I didn't have any problems communicating with them. They gave me my file number and confirmed they had gotten my application. They couldn't tell me how long it was going to take as my file hasn't been distributed yet.

I'm crossing my fingers. I will call back after Xmas and see how that's going. I have contacted my MP and they have told me they would help if I had any problems.

As for translations, I didn't translate anything except for my marriage certificate. My birth certificate is already in French since I was born in Montreal, Quebec. When I received the forms, nowhere was it mentioned that I had to translate all the documents.

Good luck,
Katia