spider question

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
The other day when I got out of my vehicle here in Juan Dolio I noticed a large spider near the gas pedal.
It's overall size was that of a large tarantula, but the body is not the same and the legs are thinner.
At first I thought it was some twigs, since it is mottled beige and brown.
My husband sprayed the inside of the vehicle and today we found the body. It was still soft, so my husband spread it out to look at it much more closely.
I cannot find any pictures of anything like it online.
I do have some pics we took, but not sure how to post them.

Anyone have any ideas. He was a nasty looking dude with fangs, and sort of hairy legs. I have checked many pictures online of tarantulas and he doesnot resemble any of them.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe some type of cane spider

CaneSpider.JPG

this is a hawiian one I think!

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
So, not knowing anything about this harmeless creature, you decided to kill it.
Way to go.. Moron..

Zeus (mad as hell):ninja:

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
harmless?...............not if it is crawling up your leg when you are driving 60 miles an hour, that will scare the s*^T out of you and you will wreck, maybe killing a harmless family of four on the side of the road. or it bites you and you wind up like the OP on another post with a hole in his leg 4 inches across. no insects in any moving vehicle are harmless...............

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Yes, it appears it was a cane spider. Thanks for posting the pic.

As for Zeus....this thing was in my vehicle and was huge! if it had been outside, I would not have bothered it. But had it come out and landed on, or near me while driving I might very well have had an accident and injured myself or others.
Sorry to have aroused your anger, but better a dead spider then dead or maimed people!!!!!!

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Hey Zeus....you,re the moron....Harmless is when it's out in the woods....when it enters my home or vehicle it becomes an enemy.

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
harmless?...............not if it is crawling up your leg when you are driving 60 miles an hour, that will scare the s*^T out of you and you will wreck, maybe killing a harmless family of four on the side of the road. or it bites you and you wind up like the OP on another post with a hole in his leg 4 inches across.
no insects in any moving vehicle are harmless...............

You better believe it!!
Anyhting that is moving (insects) while driving and you have a disaster in the making. :eek::eek:

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
harmless?...............not if it is crawling up your leg when you are driving 60 miles an hour, that will scare the s*^T out of you and you will wreck, maybe killing a harmless family of four on the side of the road. or it bites you and you wind up like the OP on another post with a hole in his leg 4 inches across. no insects in any moving vehicle are harmless...............
:ermm:Camel Spider Picture LargeOMG look here and he was carrying a gun Camel Spider Bite Picture

The other day when I got out of my vehicle here in Juan Dolio I noticed a large spider near the gas pedal.
Anyone have any ideas. He was a nasty looking dude with fangs, and sort of hairy legs. I have checked many pictures online of tarantulas and he doesnot resemble any of them.

:bunny:If it had eight legs it could be here Spider Identification Chart - Venomous or Dangerous?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
After being bitten by one that I cannot identify, I kill them all.

Some varities cause flesh eating an could cause amputation.

Where I was bitten last year took six months of trying different medicines until Dermobiotica finally cleared it up after 3 months of applying the ointment.

Strange thing is 5 months after the quarter size rash disappeared it has now returned in the exact same spot....back to the ointment

I have now spent about $60 on a cure when a can of spider spray is only???

Kill em all big and small!

DJ just posted the chart but I was bitten in my sleep....i will print a handy MOST WANTED CHART for easy target practice!

Last edited:

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Sure.. Kill them all in the DR where there's no law to protect our fauna
There're no dangerous spiders in the DR. But then, again you have to pick a
book and read about it. This may be a difficult task for some of you.

zeus:eek:gre:

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
There are n poisinous snakes in the DR. All you have to do is just let them know they're no welcome right now. They'll just move away and go about
their business. But for most of us is easier to lift our foot and wipe them out.

Just remember, they were here first..This is their world. Not ours..

Shame..:ermm:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Sure.. Kill them all in the DR where there's no law to protect our fauna
There're no dangerous spiders in the DR. But then, again you have to pick a
book and read about it. This may be a difficult task for some of you.

zeus:eek:gre:

I think that should be put on the Ballot......No killing insects of any kind?

R U serious.

Think about it....it is dark and something bites you and you kill it without thinking about 200 species of some insect....if i only memorized all of the pictures in a book.

If a Spider decides to move into my house without paying rent then he or she gets executed.

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmmm interesting statistics - weird that australia is so low on the list since they have the most dangerous spiders - statistics can say anything you want them to - why is USA so high by the way

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I suppose anything that pierces the skin has the potential to kill you - Im not sure the spiders are actually venemous - people get flesh eating viruses in hospital from surgery and other people have been killed by rose thorns so the jury is out.

I notice that beds are more dangerous in Australia than they are in the Dominican Republic from the statistics lol

May 5, 2007
USA is very low

Unless I am not reading correctly, those are total deaths, not by percentage of population

If it were by %, the DR would be almost 30 times as high as the USA in death by spider

hmmm interesting statistics - weird that australia is so low on the list since they have the most dangerous spiders - statistics can say anything you want them to - why is USA so high by the way