Medical Elective in DR

zilchem

Feb 8, 2009
Hi,

I'm a Canadian Medical student looking to do a Medical elective in the DR in May. Anyone know of where I can find info on hospitals that would be interested in having me on?
Thanks

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Hey
I don't know about hospitals, but I am doing a teaching practicum in DR in March/April and all I did to get in contact with them was research some schools on the internet and then I sent an e-mail explaining my situation and what my practicum would entail and then the schools that were interested got back to me. I would assume that you could do the same thing with the hospitals. Research some of the hospitals and then send an e-mail to or call the director of the hospital and see what they have to say. Hopefully you will get some good news.
Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) How is your Spanish?
2) If your answer to #1 was anything less than "perfect", I would not suggest this.

You may get in touch with the med school program at UNIBE, since they do have an English language program where you might fit in...

Good luck...

HB

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
God only knows why you would come down here to do any part of med training....ok i get: it you want to get your elbows all the way into someone?...

down here you will get a lot of the hands on stuff...but dont think you're going to learn the 'by the book' way of doing things. one doc will tell you one way while another will tell you some different way.

the med schools down here arent any where nearly equiped as back in the u.s./canada ....the med teachers here might seem like they know their stuff (remember you're still a student) but they cant even pass the USMLE or they wont for hell be down here.

my advice...finish your training up in the canada.....then if you want some travel time hook up with red cross or w.h.o. or that doctors without borders(?) thing to get some "out of canada/us" experience or the 'i helped poor people' feeling...

then go back home to finish a specialty...(or do your residenncy first then the travel).

coming down here now is going to waste your time.

Last edited:

VeeJMD28

Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the post above here is a bit from my own experience. I have done an elective in Peru but a class mate of mine had done it in santiago DR. From what i heard..this will not help for your usmle or mcce..My experience in peru just helped me more about improvising in a clinical setting and also as i was told by my friend.. santiago was a sobering experience. You really must be proficent of all clinical terminology in espanol. As a 1st year resident who just went through all this i say write your boards then you can try this. But if you need info on the hospital in santiago i could findout for you..just PM. Gud luck with your studies.